Please verify,,,Still the best route SD to Samana?

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Hippy,
Although there is some road work being done halfway between San Francisco de Macoris and the Duarte autopista which may result in a short delay, you're best bet is to avoid the back route via Maimon, Cotui, Pimentel as the section between Cotui and Pimentel is still miserable. Go up the Duarte and take the SFM cutoff at the Texaco station then continue on thru SFM to Castillo and Nagua. It may be a little longer but its a heck of a lot better.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Just did the back route via Maimon and Cotui, it's full of potholes and shaking the schitt out of your car. Sanches to Las Terrenas is still very cooool.

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
Forget Cotui

June 18th I drove SDQ to Sanchez using Cotui route. Returned June 28th via San Fran. Return trip took apx 20 minutes longer than first trip. They were the best spent 20 minutes of my life! I took the "lower loop" out of Cotui which I believe was a mistake. The "road" was a pock-marked mule-path interupted by the occasional smooth patch. I highly recommend avoiding it unless the "upper loop" is MUCH better and you don't make my same mistake. There was a good deal of construction coming out of San Fran but once you reach the Duarte it is absolutely smooth sailing all the way to SDQ.