Help me get from Punta Cana to Las Terrenas cheaply and quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
I will be flying into Punta Cana for a very short visit (24 hours) and I want to see Las Terrenas. I had originally planned on renting a car and driving there. I amnow discovering that it can take from 7-10 hours to drive there and driving at night is NOT recommended.

Please help me find the cheapest way to get to Las Terrenas for this brief time.

I will be arriving at 1:30 pm. Should I take the ferry? I read about a Ferry that I can take from Sabana de la Mar to Samana.

Exactly how do I do this and what is the cost? Can I take a motoconcho to Sabana de la Mar from the airport? Where do I locate one, as opposed to a taxi? What should the cost be?

The sticky above states that in 2004 a one-way taxi ride from the airport to Sabana del la Mar cost $120 USD! WOW. that is way too much, especially if I can renta car for $30 USD. Should I just rent a car from the airport and leave it at the ferry stand? Can I drive my car onto the ferry? What is that cost?

I read that this is about a 3 ½ drive. Is that correct?

I read that the ferry’s crossing to Samana departs at 3pm and 5pm, so I will probably be on the 5pm ferry I suppose.

I read that the ferry takes a little over an hour. Is that correct?

How do I get from Samana to Las Terrenas? Motoconcho?
I read that the drive from Samana to Las Terrenas takes approximately an hour.

So, it looks like if I take the ferry that I will arrive in Las Terrenas at approximately 7 pm. At the end of August will it still be light enough to look around or will it be dark?

Basically, I do not want to spend a bunch of money. It will just be me and my small backpack, so I could take a moto concho if it is not raining

Last edited:

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Don't get me wrong...

Las Terrenas is a beautiful place, but there is nothing there worth going to all of this trouble to see if you just need to immediatly turn around and go back. Had you not indicated your budget is tight, I would recommend flying. $99 each way from Punta Cana to Samana.

http://takeoffweb.com/_wsn/page2.html

Is it someone you need to see rather than something?

The ferry will not accomodate cars.
If you look at a map of the DR and see where Punta Cana and Las Terrenas are located, you will see why this is so difficult.

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
thanks, I welcome all ideas.

Thanks, I may just have to spend the extra $200 in order to do this. I am looking to try and do cheaper, especially since I already had to pay money to fly down to DR.

I appreciate the response, and look forward to any other comments, especially on the feasibility of taking a motoconcho to the ferry and doing the ferry, and the costs for that.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unless you are a young, in perfect condition, motorcycle rider you would not last that trip from Punta Cana to Sabana de la mar on the back of a 115cc two stroke Yamaha...That is one heck of a trip!...

Spend the $200 and fly to the airport there in las Terrenas. Portillo! why waste all that time??..If you only have 24 hours, fly, don't spend 8 or 9 hours getting from one place to another an back when you can do it in an hour!! by plane..

HB :D:D

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
....with only 24 hours ?????

A plane is the only good transit option with 24 hrs available. However, there is no good window of opportunity as domestic flights provided by Takeoff Destination Services leave at 8:30 am from Punta Cana to Samana and the return trip to Punta Cana is at 5:30 pm.

The above creates a schedule conflict as DavidM arrives in P.C. at 1:30 pm and the flight to Samana will not be until the following morning.

Traveling via the surface and water route is time consuming even with good luck and timely transit mode connections. It offers very little opportunity if any to see Las Terrenas. PJT's honest opinion is a minimum time frame to perform this is 48 hours, to attempt it within a 24 hr window would be frustrating and fruitless.

Also, during August the Sun will be setting around 7 pm with range around +- 10 min and twilight time will last about 25 minutes.

Regards,
PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
PJT: As always, timely and so accurate! Therefore, the OP should find more time to do his "thing" or not do it at all!

This is a reality.

Of course, If he were to fly into Santiago (cheaper than Punta Cana) he could catch public transportation direct to Las Terrenas and return in time to catch a plane.

For example if he catches the latest Jet Blue flight, arrives at 3:30 a.m., out of the airport by 4:00, hits a cabaña or a B&B for 4 hours, catches the first bus to las Terrenas at 8 a.m. , gets there by 12, does his thing, takes the last bus back at 5:30, catches a few ZZZs, gets the first jet Blue flight, he is there and back in 24 hours....

HB :D:D:D

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
Thanks for the feedback. First off, I already booked my flight into Punta Cana. It was a great deal ($139 RT) so I had to fly into that airport.

I only have these time periods to work with.

I was giving serious thought to flying from Punta Cana to Samana for $99 each way, but now I am disappointed because it appears that will not be possible given my time limitations.

Is there a bus from the airport in Punta Cana to the ferry in Sabana de la Mar? How much is it?

Any other ideas? Any ferrys that will take a car? If so, then i can just rent a car at the airport and bring it onto the ferry to Samana.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
DavidM said:
Is there a bus from the airport in Punta Cana to the ferry in Sabana de la Mar? How much is it?
Just guaguas. No big fast express busses.

DavidM said:
Any other ideas? Any ferrys that will take a car? If so, then i can just rent a car at the airport and bring it onto the ferry to Samana.
No cars on the ferry. Bikes can cross.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
DavidM said:
Thanks for the feedback. First off, I already booked my flight into Punta Cana. It was a great deal ($139 RT) so I had to fly into that airport.

I only have these time periods to work with.

I was giving serious thought to flying from Punta Cana to Samana for $99 each way, but now I am disappointed because it appears that will not be possible given my time limitations.

Is there a bus from the airport in Punta Cana to the ferry in Sabana de la Mar? How much is it?Yes there is but you have to change in Higuey

Any other ideas? Any ferrys that will take a car?NO If so, then i can just rent a car at the airport and bring it onto the ferry to Samana.Yes, you could, but you'd have to leave it in Sabana de la Mar, and then get a taxi in Saman? to take you to las Terrenas.

And, in addition to all of this, you will be spending as much , if not more, that it would cost you to change your flight, pay the penalty, and get to Santiago!!

Do check out the alternatives, please.

And, if for any reason, the ferry should happen to run late or the car has a flat tire, you just will not make your return flight!! this is crazy....believe me.

HB:D:D

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
DavidM,

I have to ask....... why are you so determined to go to Las Terrenas, considering the time and financial obstacles? It has to be more than just because you heard that the beach there is beautiful. So is Punta Cana!

If it is a person you are going to see, I can imagine that their schedule is more flexible than yours. Perhaps they can meet you in Punta Cana, or somewhere in between. Otherwise, I would say that IMHO, in light of your schedule you should enjoy Punta Cana for the limited time you have and save Las Terrenas for another trip.

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
Due to the great advice that I received onthis website, I determined that I will not be able to do what I had desired in the time restrictions.

I am now flying into Santo Domingo rather than Punta Cana. I still will be going to Las Terrenas.

I will post a separate thread asking questions and look forward to any help that you wonderful people can provide.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.