Help me get from SD to Las Terrenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
I will be flying into Santo Domingo at 1pm on a Saturday afternoon. I will then depart on Monday (2 days later) at about 2pm. My goal is to spend as much time in Las Terrenas as possible and to be able to drive around while I am in Las Terrenas to the surrounding small towns and beaches. Here are my questions:

1) Can I rent a car in Las Terrenas?
2) If yes, then where? Any links or contact information would be appreciated.
3) Also, if I CAN rent a car in Las Terrenas, SHOULD I take a bus from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas and rent a car in Las Terrenas, or should I just rent a car in Santo Domingo and drive the 3-4 hours to Las Terrenas?
4) If I cannot rent a car in Las Terrenas, can I rent one in Samana? If yes, should I take the bus from Santo Domingo to Samana and rent a car and drive to Las Terrenas?

As you can tell, I have only recently discovered the difficulties getting around in the DR and I welcome all practical advice.

As an aside, I have already paid money to switch my flight, so I am not planning on spending money to fly from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas, unless you people tell me that gas and tolls from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas are more expensive than the flight!

I am looking forward to your words of wisdom.

If I am driving from SD to LT rather than taking a bus, what is the best route? I am sure that this has been discussed somewhere, but with the new highway I am not sure about the accuracy of the older information posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.