road construction in puerto plata main road

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
for those of you who are down there now, how is the road construction in puerto plata going. i've been gone a month and when i left it was still a disaster. any news on this?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
As of YESTERDAY it was still a disaster!!! Workmen (& inconsiderate drivers of construction vehicles) continue to scxrew up a screwed up driving populace & this is likely to continue for a further 2 months or so. They ARE starting to fill in & compact earth into the holes they dug to lay drains, but rumour has it work will continue until the end of the year ............... I PRESUME this year????

We had some respite last week when the heavy rains fell - the holes became BIG swimming pools for a few days!! The dust level fell by about 2,000%. Things became so clear we could even see the smog from exhaust fumes again!! ~ Grahame.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Avoid as much of it as you can, by taking the Malecon and any other routes you can find that help circumvent the nightmarish conditions.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
well, so much for smooth driving when i return next month. my poor truck can't take much more abuse ;)
i thought that since the malecon project was started and completed so fast there might be hope for the roads in puerto plata. it's a shame to b/c lately i have to think twice and three times before going into the city for ANYTHING! my last trip it took me 2 weeks before i would even go back to JOse Luis supermarket b/c i have to cross ALL the construction to get there - thank GOD for the Malecon as i can skip a bunch of traffic thru there, but not enough. oh well, dust city here i come......:tired:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Por Que sera?

You know, one thing that truly amazes, flabbergasts and confounds me, is the persistent practice all over DR of starting many projects and taking forever to finish any of them. I was just reading (typical example) in today's Hoy newspaper, about this road in east SD that was started ten years ago and it's still not done. As a matter of fact, some sections of it have become very dangerous to transit because of the giant potholes and, the reporter says, independent truckers have turn it into a dumping ground for waste and construction debris.
What I can not understand is this proclivity for dividing up equipment and resources in many a project and then not having enough of it to get any of them 100% completed. Why can't Public Works concentrate on one or two jobs a time to a quick termination? It will save time, money with minimal disruption to traffic and, not the least of which, give us peace of mind.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I think those guys are paid by the day and have no incentive to get the job done faster.

Plus it is mucho calor there.
Maybe the shade and breeze helped the malecon job go faster.

They should at least pile up the debris to the side of the road instead of well out into the middle of the road.:rolleyes:

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
perhaps it got done fast b/c it was so close to election time too - wanted to impress the masses. i also heard he paid for the paint to have all the bldgs that line malecon look nice and freshly painted for his visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.