Gym in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

whipma

Jul 9, 2006
Curious if anyone is aware if the gym in sosua is for sale? I beleive the name is Golden Park Gym. Does anyone know why they are selling? Are there other gyms open(ing) in Sosua. Is the Golden Park a busy place? Are rates still around $500 - $700 / month?
Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Think it's still for sale. The rate is 850 a mont, includes both floors. No other gym in sosua. It's not crowdy there, but you are never alone either. Don't know how many clients they have.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The whole building is for sale and has been for a long time. A friend of mine looked at it this past January with serious interest in buying it, but the roof was so badly cracked that he felt most of the 6 apartments on the 3rd floor were almost uninhabitable.

Current price for upstairs only is RD$600/month. Was RD$500 but raised it to $600 for suimmer with promise of keep AC on. So far promise has been kept.

The gym opens at 6 or 7 am and I understand it is very busy for first hour or two, and then in late afternoon and evening. I generally go between 10:30 and 12:30, always others but not crowded like it is early and late in day. It is open, I believe, until 9pm

Equipment is well maintained and clients are mostly serious. No misbehavior problems that I have ever observed or heard about. Lots of Dominicans, of course, but also good foreign representation.

Lots of equipment, a surprising amount, in fact. I think we are extremely fortunate to have such a good gym in Sosua.

What could make the building an attractive proposition, according to my friend, is not the gym but the 6 apartments on 3rd floor. If you can keep them rented, the income would go a long to justify the purchase. The gym by itself would not be worth the investment because the next owner can't raise the rates much and keep a large majority of the clients.

An American was seriously interested in opening a delux gym in Sosua and charge a higher price. He was thinking that he would cater to the foreigners who were accustomed to paying higher prices. However, he gave up on that idea after studying the situation more closely.

whipma

Jul 9, 2006
Thanks for the input Ken, much appreciated. Does the mini golf get much use? Are the current owners American? I'm Canadian myself and am starting to look for opportunity's in the DR. I currently manage a large multi-use facility and would love a chance to live in the DR climate. Thanks again.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For Ken,

Judy?s Canadian boyfriend supposedly bought the gym a few weeks ago. I have no idea of price,etc. Just that it was sold to him from Maria and her Belgium husband.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
whipma said:
Thanks for the input Ken, much appreciated. Does the mini golf get much use? Are the current owners American? I'm Canadian myself and am starting to look for opportunity's in the DR. I currently manage a large multi-use facility and would love a chance to live in the DR climate. Thanks again.

Minature golf gets no use; not offered as an activity.

If Sky's information is correct, you may have missed your chance.

whipma

Jul 9, 2006
I just recieved the specs on the property from a real estate agent... I'm trying to confirm whether it is still for sale or not. Thanks again to Ken and Sky for info.

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
There was a gym in Cabarete too, but it looks closed now. Will it reopen ?

Is there any women pumping iron in the Sosua gym ?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
diego200 said:
There was a gym in Cabarete too, but it looks closed now. Will it reopen ?

Is there any women pumping iron in the Sosua gym ?

All I can talk about is the time period when I usually go there. Women are using the dumbells and there are a few women using barbells to a limited extent.

Even if Cabarete gym reopens, the Sosua gym is much larger and has more equipment.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Ken said:
All I can talk about is the time period when I usually go there. Women are using the dumbells and there are a few women using barbells to a limited extent.

Even if Cabarete gym reopens, the Sosua gym is much larger and has more equipment.

Hey Ken, does this gym offer weekly and by-weekly memberships to people staying in Sosua for a little while?
And where exactly is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.