Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Our first trip to the DR will begin Jan. 17th. We will be driving from Cabarete to Monte Cristi Feb. 3rd to stay two days. I've read all 10 pages of the Archives and am at a loss where to stay. Is there a Hotel Cayo Arenas? If so, how do I contact them to make reservations? Hotel San Fernando sounds great too, but they don't have a phone. Can we show up at their door without a reservation and plead for a room? Final question ,for today, anyway. :cheeky: From MC we're driving to Barahona. At Comendador, do we take Route 2 to Barahona or continue to La Descubierta and then to Barahona? How long a drive from MC is this trek?

Thanks for your help!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Are you guys nuts??

Have you ever been here? No, you say that this is your first visit.

There is no Hotel Cayo Arena. Cayo Arena is a sand spit with two thatched roof stands used to serve beer and food to people that pay through the nose to go out there.

Maybe there is a place in Monte Cristi with that name, i would not know. People here have mentioned a couple of places in Monte Cristi, but i can't remember the names.

Were you perhaps thinking of going down the International Highway? The one between Haiti and the Dominican Republic?

Or, going back down the Duarte Highway to Santo Domingo and then south to Barahona, a long day's trip?? No, I see where you were thinking of going.

Unless you are fluent in Spanish and have a very high capacity for adventure, i would not recommend this for a first trip. It is exciting, but I really do not think it would be a good IDEA for the first time here.
My caveat would be UNLESS you have some Dominican friends that can lend a hand.

Let's wait until some of the others chime in. Especially regarding where to stay in Montecristi.....

HB :ermm:

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Thanks for the reply. LOL . I sure was off about Cayo Arenas. So much for that guide book. Yep, gonna try the border highway. Not fluent in Spanish, but we can get by and can be understood. Adventure is one thing, scaring the hoohaw out of me isn't. What kind of adventures are we talking about here? Is this a really, really long drive? Hmm Maybe I'll change our collective minds.
Santo Domingo will be the last 4 days of the trip and would hate to double back. But we can do that . I really appreciate your input. Any and all info is good.

Will await more MC info.
Thanks,
Miz

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
MizCreant said:
Thanks for the reply. LOL . I....Yep, gonna try the border highway. Not fluent in Spanish, but we can get by and can be understood. Adventure is one thing, scaring the hoohaw out of me isn't. What kind of adventures are we talking about here? Is this a really, really long drive? Hmm Maybe I'll change our collective minds.
Thanks,
Miz

There is no "International Highway" between Haiti and the DR. It is an unpaved, mostly packed dirt, winding road, good for strong SUVs and off-road designed vehicles. It'll take you a good seven hours to traverse from MC to Comendador (Elias Piña). From your angle, the bad part starts leaving Restauración. There, you have to stop and report with the military outpost upon leaving town. You will have to write down the names and I.D. of all your accompanying members, and report all weapons and permits, and most importantly, explain your business going down that godforsaken road. You will be issued a written permit which you will hand over to authorities on the other end of the road, at the military outpost in Pedro Santana, who will be waiting for you, and in case you don't arrive at the stated time, you will be suspect of bootlegging, gun running, carjacking, or worse....

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Mirador said:
There is no "International Highway" between Haiti and the DR. It is an unpaved, mostly packed dirt, winding road, good for strong SUVs and off-road designed vehicles. It'll take you a good seven hours to traverse from MC to Comendador (Elias Pi?a). From your angle, the bad part starts leaving Restauraci?n. There, you have to stop and report with the military outpost upon leaving town. You will have to write down the names and I.D. of all your accompanying members, and report all weapons and permits, and most importantly, explain your business going down that godforsaken road. You will be issued a written permit which you will hand over to authorities on the other end of the road, at the military outpost in Pedro Santana, who will be waiting for you, and in case you don't arrive at the stated time, you will be suspect of bootlegging, gun running, carjacking, or worse....
Be sure to leave a copy of your passport along with a set of dental records with somebody before you try this trip. It will expedite getting you ID'd and sent home if something happens.

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Newbie Question Answered

:laugh: Okey Dokey!! I get the point. Thanks so much for the very descriptive report. Do not want to pack dental records and DNA coding for indetification. I'm so glad I asked now instead of heading off down the road.

Back to drawing board for that part of vacation.

Now, can anyone help me w/ someplace to stay in Monte Cristi? We will now have more time to stay in other areas.;)

Thanks,
Miz

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Mirador -
Didn't mean to omit you in my thanks. Your response convinced me more than the dental Id!!

Thanks again,
Miz

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
MizCreant said:
:laugh: Okey Dokey!! I get the point. Thanks so much for the very descriptive report. Do not want to pack dental records and DNA coding for indetification. I'm so glad I asked now instead of heading off down the road.

Back to drawing board for that part of vacation.

Now, can anyone help me w/ someplace to stay in Monte Cristi? We will now have more time to stay in other areas.;)

Thanks,
Miz
There are only 2 or 3 hotels in Monte Cristi, that I know of, so you could easily pay a motoconcho 100 pesos to take you to all of them and choose the one that suits you best.
Bring a book with you, so that you don't get bored to death spending 2 days there.
If you have no real need to go there, then I could suggest a really kool adventure ride from Cabarete to Barahona.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have to thank Mirador, who lives in the Deep south, for that wonderful description of the International Path :)p). It has been over 40 years since I travelled that road and I see that it has actually gotten worse. I think I read where they did substitute some of the bridges (concrete for tree trunks) but that is about all.

Miz: Don't get me wrong, it is a fascinating trip! but not one for newbies or beginners. It just might be too exciting!

All that said, do us a favor and tell us how much time you have and what you want to do? For example, you can take public transport from Cabarete to Samaná (which is breathtakingly beautiful) and then to Santo Domingo. It is a whole lot cheaper and much, much safer all around. And, that said, it is more enjoyable.

YOu could take public transportation into Santiago, spend a day in a very Dominican city, party with the locals and be on your way to Samaná the next day--maybe a bit hung over, but happy--and then down to Santo Domingo.

In fact, being freed from a vehicle, you could cross the Samaná Bay by ferry, and go see Bávaro, Punta Cana, La Romana and Santo Domingo....

Your total transport bill would be less that three days car rental!! And you'd see more of the country.

HB :D:D:D

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Good News/Bad News

Gary - Thanks for Hostal San Fernando phone number

Rocky - Point made and taken. Thanks

Chris :squareeye Hmm. What a great idea of the helicopter! Silly me was going to rent a car.

No adventure rides for us, no. no. no. That part of trip is 86'ed. Back to drawing board to replan our month long trip.

DR1 Forum is the best! Thanks for the much appreciated input.

Miz:cool:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
MizCreant said:
. Back to drawing board to replan our month long trip.
As I mentioned before, I could suggest a great way to go to Barahona, from Cabarete, if that's where you want to go.
It would be adventurous, but not freaky dangerous like that international road, and take you up to altitudes beyond 9,000 feet, if you like that type of thing.

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Mirador cetainly convinced me w/ that great description. Wayyyy too much excitement for us.:eek:

We will be staying a month and renting a car. Starting in Boca Chica to explore south east coast. On to Las Terrenas to do the Samana area. Then a few days in Cabarete. Now that plans are down the toilet, we're stopped at Cabarete in our journey. Ultimately end up in Santo Domingo for several days before returning home.

We're definitely beach people but we are open to any and all ideas. We'd still like to get to Barahona for several days without having to go into Santo Domingo. Any ideas?

We're not tied to the car rental and have no problems parking it to take a ferry ride. Sounds nice to me, Hillbilly!! Good idea.

Miz

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Great Idea

Rocky..

Please, suggest away. 9k doesn't scare us as we live at 7k. What are the road conditions? I'm wary now of rough dirt roads ;) and too much adventure.

As alwyas, thanks
Miz

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
MizCreant said:
Rocky..

Please, suggest away. 9k doesn't scare us as we live at 7k. What are the road conditions? I'm wary now of rough dirt roads ;) and too much adventure.

As alwyas, thanks
Miz
Well, it doesn't make sense now that I know your point of departure is Boca Chica.

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Rats!

How's this for any idea?
Cabarete to Santiago - to San Cristobal then to Barahona??? Obviously, this is a long trip too and we'll need to stay overnight somewhere.

Thoughts??

Thanks,
Miz

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Specifics later, if needed.

Cabarete to Sabaneta.
Kool mountain road through Jamao to Moca.
Moca to Jarabacoa, beautiful scenic well paved highways.
Jarabacoa to El Rio, along scenic dirt roads.
El Rio to Constanza on nicely paved scenic highway.
Constanza to San Jose De Ocoa, along super scenic dirt road (3 or 4 hours) at 9,000 feet plus.
San Jose De Ocoa down to the South Coast highway, along scenic paved road.
Then westbound to Barahona, with a 1 hour adventure coastal ride to the South (super scenic with turquoise waters).
A visit to Lake Enriquillo while you are there, to see the fresh water crocs and other fauna.

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Yippee

Yea Rocky!! You da Man!!

Sounds great to me. I've located the route on my small crappy map (new map on order from DR1 suggested site) and seems perfect to me.

Any suggestions where to spend the night enroute? Available restaurants, gas? Can we get a room somewhere without a reservation?

We definitely will be seeing Lago Enriquillo and points south of Barahona. Will spend a night or two in Barahona then on to Santo Domingo.

You just made my day, Rocky.
Miz:bunny:

G

gary short

MizCreant get a lonely planet guide book. They are bang on with there recommendations on hotels, restaurants, tours, roads, beaches etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.