7 days in Punta Cana

chicagofamily

Jul 9, 2006
First family vacation and were staying at the Ocean Blue! Need some help--please! There are five of us. My son 18yrs,daughters 15& 10 , my wife and me. We need to get the most bang for our buck.

Where is good horseback riding?
Should we bring cash? Is it widely accepted?
Is it safe for us to travel outside the resort? If so where should we go?
Kids want to water ski? Is it available?
What is the drinking age? My son says 18????

Thanks--Go White Sox

Ocean Blue

US $ are widely accepted.

If your son is 18 he will have no problem being served at the resort and as a matter of fact the 15 year old will likely be served.

Horse back riding ?
Water ski not likely available, at least I havent seen any ever in Punta Cana but sail boards, catamarans and kayaks are available.

Go Tigers:glasses:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Chicagofamily,

Welcome to DR1. I did a search using the search function above and came up with a couple of links for you to check out;

http://dr1.com/travel/puntacana/
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35933&highlight=punta+cana
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51644&highlight=punta+cana
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50564&highlight=punta+cana
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51783&highlight=ocean+blue
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50409&highlight=ocean+blue

Hang in there as more of our helpful members will likely come on shortly to help answer your question as Hlywud did.

When you get back home please think about posting a trip report in our "Trip Report" forum so that other people can gain knowledge from your comments and experiences. Have a great vacation in our little island of paradise.

Rick

chicagofamily

Jul 9, 2006
Thanks so much! This is such a great site to find out information. We choose Punta Canna after looking in the Chicago Tribune Vacation section. We were about to book a trip to Disney Land in Calif then started doing the Math and figured out that where ever Punta Cana was it was going to be cheaper than going to LA for seven days. Honestly-the only thing I knew about the D.R. was that Sammy Sosa was from there...Being a Sox fan I could care less. Now I'm all Jacked up about going there!
Any sugestions about horseback riding in Punta Canna? Should we book through the hotel or does anyone have a name of a good stable (s)??
Will we be an easy mark if we venture out and try to go shopping?
A friend suggested that we get some sort of Maliria shot?
Hllywud--now you got my 15 year old thinking she is legal to drink. Her responce was--Dad-what goes on at Punta Canna--stays in Punta Canna--To which I had to respond --Over my dead body! I hope they serve Old Style at the Bars! Tell me some MUST SEE things to DO! We know absolutely nothing! We are going on a whim-----

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Chicagofamily,

Did you read the links I supplied? Post #7 on the third link talks about horseback riding but it looks like KateP took care of you for that and I thank her for that. If you use the search function above on the right portion and type in Punta Cana you will be supplied with over 11 pages of threads that mention and/or talk about that area. Enjoy.

Rick

brianm

Nov 23, 2004
Chicago Family,

Being from Chicago myself and having been there several times over the last 8years, maybe I can offer some suggestions...

for starters, try to part with the Old Style for the 7 days.

Punta Cana is an absolutely beautiful resort area, with emphasis on resort. This area of the country is somewhat bare undeveloped land with the exception of the resorts and the small communities surrounding the resorts. The area is existent for the purposes of the AI resorts. This is not Hawaii, LA, Cancun or the Dells. There isn't allot to do outside the resorts, unless you speak fluent Spanish and are adventurous. You can do excursions at a price, but do not expect a 'Wild Kingdom' level of excitement. Punta Cana is a place to enjoy a beautiful endless beach w/o peddlers every 10 feet, enjoy a the beautiful warm ocean waters and enjoy your surroundings in general.

Personally, if shopping is all your looking for, head down the beach to the flea market stands. Negotiate negotiate negotiate. (Probably a good idea to check things out in the hotel shops to get a perspective on how much things are first, then go to the markets. The hotel shops are obviously overpriced too!)

I've, nor anyone I have traveled with, has gotten sick there. I don't believe the shot is necessary, but I'm not a doctor. Take some Milanta and Tums and don't eat everything you see.

Regarding drinking for the kids, hey... everything is legal unless you get caught! If you look 16 or older, not a problem, although some places tag minors with a special color wristband to indicate underage, so lie about their ages. Regardless, there's no one to police underage drinking anyway.

Sammy who!? Honestly, more locals respond more with the Bulls or Sox.

Things to do... sit your ass on the beach and soak up the beauty. Seriously! Go relax, because that is what I find to be unbeatable about the DR. Don't worry about going here and there. Unless your kids are indoor computer geeks, they should be fine with the beach and pool environment. If you want to go horseback riding, save it for Wisconsin. If you really want an excursion, Safari Outback is my only recommendation. Check out some of the nightly shows. If a disco is your pleasure, go over to the RIU's club (which is better than the average resort "disco". Dance the local dance, bachata and merengue. Probably prepare to get up early at this time of year if you want a beach or poolside chair! Bring one of those cooler drink mugs so you can go fill it with allot of beer while on the beach. Give appreciation when due to the workers and expect them to return the favor by giving you even better service. Tip the bartender and ask for top shelf liquor. If beers your pleasure, the El Presidente will taste just fine for 7 days...

Hope this helps... or at least puts PC into perspective.

GO GO WHITE SOX!!

chicagofamily

Jul 9, 2006
Everyone that has responded--Thanks---My wife thinks I'm NUTS spending all this time on the computer and making copies! Rick and Hlywud your info has been great! I'm getting a true education just over the net! KateP we will be seeing you down there--My daughters can't wait. But, being a true southsider that I am-Brianm you have painted a better picture---I am going to sit my lazy *ss down and try a El Presidente! I told a coworker where we were going and thought I was going to South America--so did I when I first started doing my homework! Again thanks -----PS-SOX have the home field advantage again this year in the World Series----I see no way the Tigers can play as well as they are playing--they are to young! I do like their lead off hitter!

Punta Cana

In no way was I trying to infer that your 15 year old had to drink, but from my experience, my son at 16 and his 5 foot 1 inch 15 year old buddy where not refused at the resort bars.
You will be travelling to an area where you will find one of the most beautiful beaches in the world some pictures of the general area can be found at the next 2 links.
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/275894/index.html

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/246927/index.html

Malaria shots ? Right at present there are no CDC warnings for the DR, be sure and take repellant with DEET, be sure and check with a physician. One bit of advise is the water drink only bottled water even use it when brushing teeth, water on the island is not potable.

As for shopping, the beach tourist shack vendors can be aggressive but offer about 1/2 of their asking price if you are interested in an item. There are also many tours available that have an opportunity to see the country away from the resort area. I highly recommend the Bavaro Runners which can be book at the resort, it is an all day affair to the sugar cane fields, plantations, tobacco museum,villages, schools to a typical Dominican mountain home, lunch at a ranch with horseback riding included and bogie boarding at at seculed beach. A very interesting and educational day which will show your kids how lucky they are.

If you have any expicit questions feel free to pm me and I will attempt to answer or put you on the right track.

Enjoy your trip.

brianm

Nov 23, 2004
Assuming your going on an Apple Package, make sure you bring ALL your proper papers if you don't have valid passports already. Also, although not required, bring plenty of singles to tip with. It goes a long way. And remember, the sun down there is extreme compared to here! Bring sunblock and USE it for the first couple days, or you'll end up wrecking a couple days by being burnt!

If you have any other questions, or want some additional tips, you can PM me. Otherwise, from one southsider to another, have an awesome RELAXING vacation!