Las Terrenas - do hotels with A/C still hear discos?

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
I have read many old posts about hotels. I have several questions about selecting a hotel in Las Terrenas.

I have read about discos being loud and also about hotels NOT having air conditioning, or not having hot water (or only brackish/salt water (mainly in LG) and also the necessity of a hotel having a mosquito net over the bed for sleeping. I assume the mosquito net is for those hotels that do not have a/c and therefore have the windows open.

I have also read about the discos keeping you awake at night. Is that because of the proximity of the hotels to loud music or is it because some hotels? windows are open because the hotel does not have a/c?

I will be arriving in Las Terrenas in August, so I will desire a hotel with air conditioning, hot water, fresh water (no salt-water), and someplace where I can sleep.

I am trying to spend about $20 per night if possible.

Also, exactly where are the discos? If I look at a map, where should I be staying for the discos to not keep me up all night? For example, please tell me ?East of XX Street? or ?North of X Street.?

While some people may be fine with windows open and a fan, I really prefer air conditioning. I am wondering whether the cheap ($20) hotels offer this or if I need to pay more to stay somewhere with a/c.

Thanks in advance.

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
you need to pay more...try hotels on the 27th de febereo.

as for disco's...i have never had a problem with with the noise (music) keeping me up at night and have never used a mosquito net either.
disco's are mostly on main road.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
There are hotels in LT for that price, but not with AC. It is true that mosquito netting may be needed in hotels where windows are open due to lack of AC, and obviously outside noise will be more unobstructed as well. If there is a mosquito net over your bed, it is there for a reason. USE IT!

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
Thanks for the first two replies. I need to pay more for a/c? How much more? I see that Playa Colibri is often recommended and they charge about $70 USD per night and they don't even have a/c! Can anyone recommend any hotel with A/C for less than $50? Do they exist is Las Terrenas?

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
Now that I have returned from LT, I will post a reply to my original question to help people in the future.

First of all, unlike Europe or America, when the Dominicans call something a disco, it is not what Europeans or Americans envision. The Dominican disco (except for the larger cities like Santo Domingo) are open air events. Usually they seem to be buildings with one of more walls that are open to the air. the music is just as loud as a European/American disco/club, so what this means is that if you are sleeping anywhere near the dominican "disco" you WILL hear it. Why? Well, because it is open to the air, and because most hotels have windows that are designed to allow air into the room, and NOT designed to soundproof the room.

Keep that in mind when booking a room. Bottom line, do NOT choose a hotel that is directly above a disco. I know that there is one such hotel in LT but I don't remember the name right now, but I passed by on Saturday night about 11pm and the music was very loud and there would be no way that anyone could sleep through that if they were in the hotel above it (even with ear plugs).