beach

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
About 30 kms. It is just after Las Americas International Airport. Could take about half hour, could be more, depending on the traffic and where you are in Santo Domingo.

Russian

Aug 27, 2004
www.partbeamsystech.com
Boca Chica is really the closest beach to SD and this is why it can be over-crowded on weekends. If you do not mind extra 10-15 min. driving, check out Playa Caribe between Boca Chica and Juan Dolio: not as crowded, less annoyance from people trying to sell you souvenirs, generally better public around and nice restaurant Caribbean Sun.

However waves can get strong, so snorkeling may be difficult, and there are no food stands and cheap drinks around, so bring your own cooler with supplies.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Playa Palenque is about hour to the west, and it is almost 100% locals on the weekends. Sand is kind of gray, but the waves aren't big, and the people are friendly. Lots of little restaurants, and plenty of shade if you just want to watch.

You pass through San Cristobal, and then catch one of the roads leading towards the ocean. Easy to ask locals which way to go to get there too, or just catch a guagua from Santo Domingo for "Palenque".

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
To the OP....what kind of beach do you like? Boca chica IS the closest...but the vendors can be sorta annoying. BC is pretty quiet and not overly crowded tho...cept for on sundays (i kinda like the party atmosphere on sundays The water is very tranquil...and there is some ok snorkeling to do out on the little isla off the main beach.

Playa caribe is great...if you are a good swimmer and like to boogie board. Its a tiny little beach...but great waves.

Then there is juan dolio....quieter than BC...but i dunno..it just never really does anything for me.

all three are very easy to get to on public busses.

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
did you say beach?

When I first got to the DR I would go to Boca Chica. Then someone suggested I try Playa Caribbe/ Embassey Beach/ Caribbean Sun.....put down all the names it goes by. Now it is the only place I go.

It is much smaller and gets a different class of people than BC. The waves run from tranquil one minute to crazy the next. Only a couple of vendors once in a while annoying you unlike BC every two minutes. The restraunt is decent, although most bring their own food and beer. Presidente if the restraunt brings it....$80 pesos, at the stand....$60. It is ususally empty on weekends until about 1:30-2:00. Then the families really roll in, especially on Sunday.

If you do go, just ask for the Gringo and his dog......

JRR