MOVING to DR

Mr B

Jul 11, 2006
I am moving to DR with my wife who is Dominican. Could someone give me advice on importing my vehicle from Canada and moving furniture and boxes by container?

Thank you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a TON of advice on just this question. Just click on the search function and you will get all the info you can handle.

Basically,you hire a shipper and send your stuff to the closest port.

HB :D:D:D

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to sell stuff and then buy new things in DR? I have had to transport furniture and other things from US abroad in containers and realized it was not worth it at all - customs in poor countries live off people who do such things ...

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Duty Free for returning Dominicans

Didn't I read somewhere on DR1 that a Dominican returning to live in the DR can import a certain ammount of stuff 'duty free' ? Or it might have been an article in a newspaper somewhere.

Paul

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Duty Free ?

The only yhing DUTY free for you are your clothes,fruniture,and certain appliances..You will pay big time for a car,motorvehicle of any type,TV's computers,ect.. I have spent countless days checking this all out as I am about to do the same thing...Do a search on this subjuct and see how many things you want to know were brought up in just the past 2 weeks alone...

D & D

Jul 17, 2003
Sell it all and start over. Some folks have no problems, but for the majority, it's just a big headache.

Danny is Dominican and we were also under the impression that we could bring in a container duty free and all that crap....we had to pay through the nose in duties, taxes, whatever, but it was all the bribes we had to pay to get the car released that was the real killer. Dot this "i", cross that "t" etc. When we finally got our container, anything worth being stolen was and most of the other stuff was either broken or nasty from the thieving pigs that plundered through everything under the guise of an inspection. Then the driver tried to rip us off. That, at least, was settled very quickly with the help of several friends. I do love our heavily armed primos and amigos.

When all was said and done we were out well over US$15,000 between shipping cost, taxes, duties, bribes and replacing or repairing stolen and damaged items. Would we do it again......no phucking way!!

Dianne

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
duty free

an american friend of mine moved to sosua back in january. when he called to find out how much it was going to cost to get his car into POP he was low balled and even told about the Libre comercio treaty (which we all know is B.S.) he stuffed his car with items he would need for his new house in sosua. when it came time to claim the car it cost him 1 week of headaches and tormentes. $17,000 us dollars later he had his car minus a lot of tools, and misc. items that were stolen. his advise was to NEVER do anything like that again. not worth the money or aggrevation.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Calculation for car

Here's the link to calculate how much your car is 'supposed' to cost in taxes. The 'official' line is that if you have a cedula in process you get a 60% discount off of the official figure.

I just bought a house and can tell you that I've not heard one single positive story about importing a car or goods to the DR. The best thing is to take the advise of the posters and sell all of your valuables and buy new in the DR.

At the moment I'm struggling with how to get just personal items in to the country. Personal I mean art and one of a kind items that can't be replaced. I may end up just storing the **** and waiting until things are settled there and I find out whom to bribe to get my crap in.

Hope this helps.
www.dga.gov.do/portal.net/DefaultDesktop.aspx?tabid=32

Jack