Inexpensive seafood (lobster) in Las Terrenas?

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
I am looking for some inexpensive places to get seafood in Las Terrenas. For example, is there anyplace that I can sit down and eat a Lobster meal (maybe with rice and vegetables) for under $10 USD (325 RD)? If so, where? I would appreciate both the name and location of any such place to eat. Also, let me know what it is near, so I can find it.

Do they have conch fritters in Las Terrenas? I am not sure what the best types of seafood are readily available, so any tips would be wonderful.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Mr.( or Ms.) moderator

I understand why this thread was moved to this forum. I do not understand why the good advice given by myself and jaguarbob to the OP was deleted in the process. It was (IMHO) something he needed to hear, even if it was not a direct response to his question here. Since when is it not allowed for those with experience in the DR to point out when someone's travel plans are unrealistic? If you go back and read his other posts and the responses, you will see what I mean.

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
Relax Sweetdbt, I did see your response. It was less than helpful and quite arrogant, so that is probably why it was deleted. Anyway, i see that you sent me a PM and it is more helpful and not arrogant at all. Thank you.

I am well aware that I am asking questions about traveling in the DR that many of you do not suggest, mainly because of the difficulties which I will likely encounter. I appreciate your help, but remember that we are all grown adults and you should respect when someone doesn't take yoru advice 100% the way that you give it.

Again, I welcome all advice, but don't take it personally if I don't follow it. I have learned that my first plan was way too ambitious and I thank you people at DR1 for that. I am stubborn myself and I am determined to drive to LT and eat inexpensivley and stay in decent inexpensive hotels, so all I ask is for help. I am researching online, but there is only so much I can do before I arrive. Thanks again for any help offered.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
A room without AC is just fine, mosquito net is fundamental ! (Hotel Elegancia, in la calle Sanchez is cheap, and there's also a great pizzeria...)

Instead of lobster, try lambi (this is how they call conch down here...) or pulpo. As a matter of fact I recommend "Pulpo a la vinagreta" (my fav')...

You can still have a good time in LT as long as you watch your budget... Go up in the village, check out the dominican "comedor"... Have also some "pescado frito"...

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
Squat said:
A room without AC is just fine, mosquito net is fundamental ! (Hotel Elegancia, in la calle Sanchez is cheap, and there's also a great pizzeria...)

------Thank you for the response. I live in Florida and I know what our weather is like in August and I have only slept withouta/c after we lost power from hurricanes. It is hot and humid and impossible to sleep. I keep hearing that the hotels don't have a/c and that they use cross ventilation and island breezes. I assumed that this is just sales talk from the hotels. is it true? Is it honestly comfortable to sleep without a/c in august?

Squat said:
Instead of lobster, try lambi (this is how they call conch down here...) or pulpo. As a matter of fact I recommend "Pulpo a la vinagreta" (my fav')...

------PERFECT. This is the type of tips that I was hoping for. Anywhere in particular that you recommend for inexpensive seafood?

Squat said:
You can still have a good time in LT as long as you watch your budget... Go up in the village, check out the dominican "comedor"... Have also some "pescado frito"...

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
DavidM said:
I am looking for some inexpensive places to get seafood in Las Terrenas. For example, is there anyplace that I can sit down and eat a Lobster meal (maybe with rice and vegetables) for under $10 USD (325 RD)? If so, where? I would appreciate both the name and location of any such place to eat. Also, let me know what it is near, so I can find it.

Do they have conch fritters in Las Terrenas? I am not sure what the best types of seafood are readily available, so any tips would be wonderful.

Try CUCA MARINA on the beach (Village of the Fishermen) for good seafood. You won't be eating lobster for 10 bucks but try the tuna sesame or the dorado. Good food, good service, good value. We ate there in Feb and March and can't wait to do it again. If you can speak a little French it helps.
Enjoy Las Terrenas if you ever get there from Punta Cana. It's a long hike!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Of course

we are all adults DavidM, and of course, if you are determined to go to Las Terrenas come hell or high water, you are going to do it. I just have to say that your "determination" to go to so much trouble to see a place you know so little about is difficult to comprehend. I was merely trying to give you a suggestion as to how you could more effeciently use your limited time in the DR.

By the way, pulpo is octopus if you don't know, and Squat did make some excellent suggestions for Dominican seafood dishes which would be less costly. It is a matter of taste, but Lambi a la vinegretta (same preperation as the pulpo) is a personal favorite of mine. This is small pieces of the Lambi (or pulpo) seared or blanched and marinated in a citrus vinigrette and then served as part of a salad of diced tomato, cucumber and onion (in the same vinegrette sauce) over a bed of lettuce. A Dominican classic dish usually served with tostados (fried platanos) or fresh bread.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Inexpensive seafood there : Comedor Rossy, in calle Sanchez.

As of sleeping without AC, let me tell you that I spent a year in Miami, and I understand your anguish. But let me point out that Las Terrenas is (in my view) fresher than Miami, and you shouldn't have any trouble sleeping under your mosquito net... If it is a real warm night, then let the fan on. As of me, I don't even use a fan.

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
Now that I have returned I will post an answer to my own question so others who read this in the future will have more info. You can eat lobster for $8 or $9 but it will be in a salad. However, I found several restaurants in the fisherman's village that sold dinners that included lobster (usually a medley of seafood) for about $15.

Gregory8

Oct 15, 2006
Mask......$3.00
Snorkel...$1.50
Flippers...$3.00
Rum.......$2.25
.........=$9.75

Veggies are free...kelp is high in protein

(And don't forget to hold your breath!)

irie1029

May 27, 2006
Fresh Salad?

I have heard that it is not safe to eat fresh salad, even lettuce on a sandwich as it is all rinsed in non-drinkable water. Please let me know if this is true, or only true for certain areas or eateries.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
LT Bacteria

I have heard that it is not safe to eat fresh salad, even lettuce on a sandwich as it is all rinsed in non-drinkable water. Please let me know if this is true, or only true for certain areas or eateries.

I shall not say, that hygiene is not a problem here.
Even in a ***** hotel you do not know who prepares your food and how it is done.
I have, however, eaten in many 'comedores' where a look into the kitchen may have spoilt my appetite...
Apart from the odd stomach upset I 've survived. So far.
I do avoid mussels as I know where they thrive best... ;)
Shrimps I eat a lot and never had a problem.
Maybe I have adapted to the local bacteria already or my usual intake of garlic kills them... :bunny:

m'frog

bobandjudy

Jan 20, 2006
Hi yall, my wife and I are planning to go to Las Terrenas soon. What motel would you recommend? We plan to go during the week and would really like a quiet place. We don't want an AI but can go $50 or more. Thanks, Bob

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
LT Hotels

... Las Terrenas ... What motel would you recommend? ....We don't want an AI but can go $50 or more.

As far as I know there aren't any motels.
There is, however, a good number of small and larger hotels or bungalows.
I recommend the tranquil Punta Bonita playa if you have a car (as it's about 3 miles out of town).
The Punta Poppy stretch to the east of town or the 'Cacao Beach' side are also popular for those who like to stay within walking distance to the town centre.
Choose when there, no problems with vacancies at this time.

m'frog

bobandjudy

Jan 20, 2006
m'frog, thank you so much for getting back to us so quickly. Yes, we have a car and we'll take a look at Punta Bonita Playa as we want to go to Playa Bonita. Regards, Bob and Judy

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Lined up at PB

... we'll take a look at Punta Bonita Playa...
Once you hit the shore you turn left:
- Coyamar (at the corner right there)
- Acaya
- Las Ballenas
- Casa Grande
- Punta Bonita Beach Resort (new name?)
- Atlantis
- Bungalows

May have forgotten one or two, but that's the 'hotel menu' along that stretch, mas ó menos.

m'frog