Driving Directions Santiago Airport to Cabarete

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I have been looking for a driving map to send to someone that would show the route numbers to be taken when driving from the Santiago Airport to Cabarete. I did a search for written directions but they do not indicate the route or road numbers.

Please would someone be kind enough to list the driving directions from the Santiago Airport to Cabarete, using the route numbers. Distances on each road would be appreciated as well. I am hoping that with this information an individual should be able to follow it through to their destination.

I personally have not driven it, so I wouldn't even begin to advise anyone.

Thank you!
:confused:

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
rendul said:
I have been looking for a driving map to send to someone that would show the route numbers to be taken when driving from the Santiago Airport to Cabarete. I did a search for written directions but they do not indicate the route or road numbers.

Please would someone be kind enough to list the driving directions from the Santiago Airport to Cabarete, using the route numbers. Distances on each road would be appreciated as well. I am hoping that with this information an individual should be able to follow it through to their destination.

I personally have not driven it, so I wouldn't even begin to advise anyone.

Thank you!
:confused:

Some very detailed directions appeared here not long ago. Suggest you use the search function. In general, you will not find route numbers very useful in DR - they're almost never posted and no one you meet will know what you're talking about. What you want are specific landmarks at crucial points on the route - the directions I mentioned above have plenty of those.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I don't think landmarks will do it. I did search already as per my first post. I do have a map of the north of the D.R. but it is missing some of the route numbers. A new person driving would not know the landmarks or even possibly recognize them. This driver will understand route numbers and between the map I have and clear driving directions should suffice to get them to Cabarete.

Surely to goodness, someone who travels this route often could list the roads they take. I am not talking about off the beaten path roads, Just the basic and main roads from point A to point B.

Thx rellosk but it won't start from the airport in Santiago. Looks like a good source though.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The problem is, the route numbers on the map are nowhere posted on the streets. In Santiago, it's hard enough to see the names of the streets (the numbered routes also have names, but very few street signs). The only way to make it the first few times is with specific, obvious landmarks, i.e. the Monument, the Hache Building, a large Auto Dealer or Cabana, Supermercado Nacional, etc. Believe me, it's true... Ive tried to use route numbers and street names from the map and got lost in Santiago. Santo Domingo is much better with street signs, and working from the map, but that doesn't help you getting through Santiago! But once you get to the Autopista Duarte towards Puerto Plata (NOT Santo Domingo)(this is Route 1) from Santiago, it's pretty much a straight shot (there is one "exit" to take onto Route 5 towards Puerto Plata) through Puerto Plata, then Sosua, then Cabarete... all on the same road.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
rendul said:
I don't think landmarks will do it. I did search already as per my first post. I do have a map of the north of the D.R. but it is missing some of the route numbers. A new person driving would not know the landmarks or even possibly recognize them. This driver will understand route numbers and between the map I have and clear driving directions should suffice to get them to Cabarete.

OK, it is quite possible to get where you are going in the DR without route numbers ('cause they ain't posted on the routes) and without landmarks ('cause the driver does not recognise them... or something).

I assume you (or the driver) is renting a car in Santiago. At the car rental place, ask for directions Cabarete through Moca - they will direct you... take some time with this first portion as it is tricky, stop every 10 mins and ask if you are on the right road to Moca. They would also have a small map at the airport. In Moca, ask a motoconcho driver to take you through the town and put you on the road over the mountain to Cabarete ... they will do this gladly for 30 pesos or so. Follow the moto concho. Then carry on over the mountain, (there is nowhere else you can go once you are on this road) and at the end of the road, when you are at the final and only t-junction, turn left and in 5 or 10 minutes, you'll be in Cabarete.

It is not hard ... if you have a difficult time with Spanish, write down the left right straight ahead turn and corner words...