Dominican Forbes 400 list

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
If there was a Dominican Forbes 400 list of the wealthiest Dominicans, who would they be, what is their net worth, and what business are they in.

Chuckuindy

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
chuckuindy said:
If there was a Dominican Forbes 400 list of the wealthiest Dominicans, who would they be, what is their net worth, and what business are they in.

Chuckuindy

Very good question! ....

Last edited:

Boletero

Jun 16, 2006
the family that owns the brugal company is one of the richest family in the dr so is the Hache family

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You think?
Vicini
Leon
Armenteros
Perrelló
Cabral
Bermúdez
Taváres
Grullón
Abréu

And those are the ones that are sort of "old hat"

the guy that owns Juancito Sport is a gazillionair, and like him there are tons of millionairs in dollars. they just don't show their faces much
Jose Clase (owns a whole free zone)
Fernando Capellán(Owns several free zones and parts of 28 different factories)
And I didn't even think to mention the Bonettis; the Caros; the Ramos; the Garcías of Santo Domingo

Dominicans hate to let people know how much they own. There will never be a Forbes list, at least, not for now.

HB

Just thought: Look in today's papers for the "esquela" of Gustavo Tavarez, and look at the last names there.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Dirección General de Impuestos Internos - DGII (the local IRS) has announced that it will start publishing in a local newspaper a list of the largest taxpayers by name. This could come in handy, especially for those in the kidnapping business, like in Colombia, where roadblocks in mayor highways are improvised by bandits, paramilitaries and guerillas, where all drivers (and passengers) IDs are checked against a portable computer's data base, to determine who is more worthwhile to hold for ransom...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Mirador said:
like in Colombia, where roadblocks in mayor highways are improvised by bandits, paramilitaries and guerillas, where all drivers (and passengers) IDs are checked against a portable computer's data base, to determine who is more worthwhile to hold for ransom...

I doubt that is true, things are changing fast in Colombia. I'm in Colombia right now, so I will ask a few of my friends.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Robert said:
I doubt that is true, things are changing fast in Colombia. I'm in Colombia right now, so I will ask a few of my friends.

"Although road security has improved in some areas, such as around the capital, Bogot?, for security reasons the Embassy strongly recommends against most rural road travel by American citizens in Colombia. The Government of Colombia has instituted special programs to promote road travel during holidays, but outside of these periods, the strong presence of guerrilla and paramilitary groups and common criminals in rural areas makes travel on these roads dangerous. In regions where the government has not established full authority, guerrilla groups frequently establish roadblocks in order to rob and/or kidnap travelers. The geographic scope of government or guerrilla control is subject to change, sometimes without notice. Any inter-city travel by American citizens should be done by airplane."

For additional information about road travel in Colombia, see the U.S. Embassy home page at http://usembassy.state.gov/bogota.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Like HB mentioned the wealth is kept pretty secret. In the US and other countries, if you own publicly traded companies or shares, it is public information. Here there's not such thing. All these companies are privately held so they don't have to tell anyone how much they're worth. In addition I'm sure a lot of these assets are in someone else's names...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
That is quite European. For us with non-US type roots, the idea of letting others know how much you have, own or get paid, is quite revolting. ;) Took me a while to get used to discussing this as just another thing when I lived in the US.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Is it only business?

What about those doctors, lawyers and government leaders? Do they make it to the "wealthy" list?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Ochoa family,

When wealthy mexicans open up US Brokerage accounts, many of them would use numbers, i.e. XC13435, instead of their names for protection.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think the Jimenes, Menicucci or Carbonel will make it into the 400.
hazourys, but they have a tremendous debt load right now. Hazims might be better off, but i don't know the "inside" details...
Ochoa, but which one? Antonio most probably.

HB

Jan 5, 2006
HB, isn't the Jimenes family up there, just by virtue of being intertwined with the Leon family? I've always heard that they had major dough.

And what about the Fuentes family? Could they be in that group?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jiménes was the mother. The Leons are the $$$.
Of course the Fuente ( no 's')family has major $$, but they are Cuban-they happen to livenext door to Fernando Capellan (Carlitos does, not the father...)

HB

Jan 5, 2006
Hillbilly said:
Jim?nes was the mother. The Leons are the $$$.
Ok, makes perfect sense.

Hillbilly said:
Of course the Fuente ( no 's')family has major $$, but they are Cuban
I was aware that they were originally from Cuba, as well as the Carbonel family, but thought that they would qualify as Dominicans since they've been there for so long and the younger kids have been born there. This also brings up an interesting point, because a lot of the other names mentioned are descendants of foreigners such as Italians, Spaniards, or middle easteners, and only first or second generation Dominicans.

As an example, if we include Frank Rainieri & family as Dominicans, they would make the list, although they are also one of, if not the top debtor in the country.