hacking laws

MTS

Jul 14, 2006
Are there any hacking laws in the dominican republic? What charges can be brought against a hacker? What if this hacker harmed a company in the United States? Can he be extradited? I cannot find any hacking laws.

I heard about a newspaper being hacked and the goverment seeking the hacker... if there are no hacking laws what can he be charged for?

I await your reply. Thank you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am not sure if there are laws governing hacking per se. Probably not yet since most of the legislators are barely computer literate, if at all.....some cannot even read a newspaper--fact.
Why? You want to go hacking here??? It's been done a lot....never seen anyone going to jail for it...It just might be covered unter the intellectural property laws...
HB

MTS

Jul 14, 2006
I am actually a newspaper intern doing an article on hacking laws. There are some countries which have no hacking laws, thus my interest in DR. Thank you for the reply. But I must ask if some of these laws are actually applicable to hackers. I understand hacking a bank is an obvious crime and surely you have laws against such things (wire fraud). What about hacking a site and causing permanent unrepairable damage, or stealing user information (not actually intellectual property)? Vandalism does not cover the virtual world, no? I am sure a smart lawyer can get around this. Since alot of these laws are not computer specific they cannot be pinned down to a hacker since the crime has actually taken place outside of the country (and in a physical world a crime cannot be committed outside the country if you are in it), that is why laws in the United States exists that specifically pertain to hackers.

I would like a specific reply from a lawyer in the DR. Any further comments are welcomed.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Up to now, Dominican authorities have relied on existing regulations against fraud, robbery, defamation, etc. However, a special law against hacking (cyber-crime) has been submitted to Congress and is pending approval. Also, the new Criminal Code (?C?digo Penal) which passed Congress yesterday but is still pending enactment by the President includes provisions vs. cyber-crimes.