Direct Flight To POP

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
Does American or any other airline fly direct to POP from JFK.
I know that they used to fly direct but I can not find a direct flight on their website or any other.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Continental flies Newark-POP direct. AA discontinued JFK-POP direct. They do fly to Santiago though, about 45 minute ride.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
In a word.......... No. You either need to fly out of Newark or take a flight from JFK with a connection in Miami or San Juan.

I would think for most situations either of these options would be less hassle than flying direct into Santiago and then having to get to the North Coast.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
sweetdbt said:
In a word.......... No. You either need to fly out of Newark or take a flight from JFK with a connection in Miami or San Juan.

I would think for most situations either of these options would be less hassle than flying direct into Santiago and then having to get to the North Coast.
It seems to me that a 45 minute ride from Santiago Airport is much more convenient than changing planes in Miami or San Juan. Especially since POP airport is still not adjacent to any hotels. and you need to take a taxi anyway.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
msa319 said:
I know that they used to fly direct but I can not find a direct flight on their website or any other.
AA discontinued their direct flight. There's been some debate as to whether that change is seasonal, or "until further notice".

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Connecting flights and their nightmares

HOWMAR said:
It seems to me that a 45 minute ride from Santiago Airport is much more convenient than changing planes in Miami or San Juan. Especially since POP airport is still not adjacent to any hotels. and you need to take a taxi anyway.

Be prepared to possibly being stranded in Miami or San Juan. AA is infamous for selling their seats to stand bys while your plane is enroute to Miami or San Juan. They delay the flight you are currently on as much as possible i.e slow taxi, delays in opening the aircraft door and then having "linebacker sized" agents there to rudley tell you that you will be held until the next day along with an airport hotel voucher and meal voucher, wooopie!

I have experienced this and it was one of the worse experiences. I didn't want to stay at the hotel (Best Western at Miami International) all evening as it was only 7:30 PM or so. So I took a taxi from Miami Intl to South Beach $40.00 plus the tip one way. A bite to eat and a couple of drinks on the strip, $50.00, taxi back to the hotel, $40.00 plus the tip. Tried to sleep though all of the aircraft flying overhead all night, argh. Taxi over to the airport $12.00 plus the tip man I was exhausted!!!!

I edited this in just now. I forgot to add that when I did get to the AA desk they wanted to fly me to La Romana instead of Puerto Plata (my original destination). I ended up flying into Santiago and the burden of my family picking me up there vs La Romana was much easier.

Fly into Santiago and make arrangements to be transported over to the north coast for the enjoyable one hour taxi ride $60.00 or the bus which is much cheaper. At least you know you are flying direct and do not have any surprises awaiting you in your connecting city.

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rellosk said:
AA discontinued their direct flight. There's been some debate as to whether that change is seasonal, or "until further notice".
Since AA is still not selling JFK-POP for December, Jan. or Feb., I think it's a pretty good bet that it is not a "seasonal change".

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
Thanks for the info

I will be flying into STI because I am going to SFDM first, I wanted to fly home out of POP because we are ending our trip in POP. Since there is no direct flights out of POP I will fly home from STI. I will have my wife and 2 yr old daughter with me on the way home so I think it will be easier to fly out of STI instead of changing planes in SJ or MIA.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I guess for New Yorkers, who are accustomed to being able to fly direct to a wide range of destinations, making a connection may seem like a hassle. From the airports I fly out of, it's just par for the course and no big deal.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
msa319 said:

Not sure whether this would interest you, or when you're trying to travel, but beginning 12/15, Delta will begin direct flights between Atlanta and Puerto Plata. Current price, incl taxes, is $589. May be lowered closer to the departure date.

DL256 ATL-POP Leave 11:20 am Arrive 3:12 pm
DL257 POP-ATL Leave 4:14 pm Arrive 6:40 pm