Re: Accomodation in Costambar

S

Susanne

We have just returned from a holiday where we stayed at the Villas Olas Tropicales in Costambar for a week.

It is basically a bed and breakfast (very nice breakfast!) situated in two large Spanish style villas. The rooms are fairly spacious, (no air condition, but ceiling fans) the bathrooms are nice, with ample hot water and lots of water pressure.

The hotel has a beautiful garden and a nice fair size unheated swimming pool. The owners, Keith and Deysi, really made us feel at home and were ready to give us advice on anything and everything. Keith is originally from England, Deysi is his Dominican wife. They have three small children.

Costambar is a nice area with a nice beach. You have to pick your spot for swimming though, as there is lots of coral in the water and it will cut your feet. We found some places without coral where both we and the children could swim and bathe. The beach at nearby Cofresi (a great but a bit wet walk, you have to cross a river, from Costambar) is much better for swimming, but quite narrow. So suntan at Costambar and swim in Cofresi!

Basically, Costambar is very relaxed and peaceful - with many settled Europeans and well to do Dominicans. Hardly any beach vendors.

Final word: As you are at a bed and breakfast, you will have to go out to eat and drink in the evening. This is hardly a problem - there are lots of bars and good restaurants around. However, we brought two small children who fell asleep about seven o'clock in the evening, and this meant that we couldn't go out to eat or drink. So if you bring small children, you should make certain to arrange with Keith and Deysi that you can stock up the fridge with whatever you will need to drink or eat during the evening.

All in all I will give Villas Olas Tropicales my warmest recommendations as a peaceful alternative to the hectic life of Playa Dorada and the likes. You will also get to know more of the Dominican lifestyle by staying there. Please feel free to email me, if you have any questions.

Regards, Susanne

D

DAVIDA

I recently returned from Puerto Plata and was shocked when I visited Costambar which used to be one of my favorite locations. The place appeared like a ghost town. Many of the homes were boarded up or appeared run down. The largest hotel was shut down. I talked to a few of the locals to ask what had happened and we heard many rumors about the Planta being too noisy for visitors, high crime because properties are bought up by foreigners who only visit for holiday as well as a host of other complaints. Has anyone else visited there recently and noticed a significant change? I had wanted to move there but have many concerns now.

S

Susanne

It is true that many places are for sale. I wouldn't say that the place is a ghost town, at least it didn't strike us that way when we were there for a week earlier this month.

Neither did we hear the power plant in Puerto Plata - although I had had some concerns before we decided to stay there. It may be different in the most Eastern part of Costambar where the big hotel was situated, but even when we were on their beach, we didn't hear anything. And I am VERY noise sensitive when it comes to machinery etc.

As for crime, all the people we spoke to (residents) said it was safe enough to walk around after dark, which we did every night. We didn't hear of any problems apart from the occasional break-in which you will find in any well to do area in any country.

All in all we found it to be a very nice area with very nice people. But as we hadn't been there before, we couldn't compare to what it has been like.

Regards, Susanne

K

Keith Hamilton

I have responded via e-mail directly regarding Davida's impressions of the Costambar community. If you wish for a copy please contact me.