College Student Looking for 1 bedroom apartment/studio in Gazcue Area, Santo Domingo.

JoyO

Jul 16, 2006
Hello, I am moving to Santo Domingo in September to study at UTESA, and I am looking for an apartment or studio in the Gazcue area or Los Rios for a reasonable price. My max $500 a month. Can someone help me please? Thanks in advance.

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
Check out these...

http://www.super-casas.com/reg/do/properties_view.aspx?pid=9369&listurl=properties_list.aspx%3fsrc%3d1%26province_id%3d3%26city%3d8%26sector%3d164%26trademode%3dr%26pmin%3d10000%26pmax%3d20000%26rooms%3d1%26sizemt2_construct%3d%26p123%3d1%26page%3d

http://www.super-casas.com/reg/do/properties_view.aspx?pid=9364&listurl=properties_list.aspx%3fsrc%3d1%26province_id%3d3%26city%3d8%26sector%3d164%26trademode%3dr%26pmin%3d10000%26pmax%3d20000%26rooms%3d1%26sizemt2_construct%3d%26p123%3d1%26page%3d

At www.timeshomes.com you will find a couple of apartments which, although not located in the neighborhoods you mentioned, are very close to them. I also found the following ad on the Listin Diario's classifieds (translation made possible by me)

GAZCUE, Near presidential palace, INMOBICENCOL rents furnished apartment, 1 dormitory, living/eating-room, kitchen, washing area, inverter, water tank, air conditioner US$480 Inf. (809) 689-1907, 687-0136, 689-2307.

I think this is a good one: just below 500 dollars and FURNISHED, something you weren't even asking for! Hope you have to choose from now. I'll try to find other options for you later on on the Diario Libre classifieds and elsewhere.

Tchau

Last edited:

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
was in your shoes 6 weeks ago

Welcome!

If you search my previous posts you might learn from my mistakes. I posted a couple long ones. A month ago I began searching Gazcue & neighboring barrios for an apartment, max $500 US. I had a week to do it and did find something, as will you. (Im actually in an airport now, waiting for a delayed Delta flight. I will be unpacking -- finally -- in my new apt tonight).

It takes a lot of sweating and walking, but it's do-able.

I found a furnished 2 bedroom for 500, safe and clean and with good power.

PM me if you want more info or advice on what I did.

Grant

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
A co-worker is moving to DR to study Medicine at UNIBE. He's Cuban, raised here in Miami, 20 years old, very good looking kid and very dedicated to becoming a Dr.

It will be MUCH cheaper for his parents to support him to study there than it will be here...

But...how much (approx.) would he need for housing and the rest?

I have ZERO idea on this...

MQ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
MQ, FYI, UNIBE is a for profit outfit, and it won't be much cheaper, believe me!!

thing is he probably couldn't get into a US medical school, so here he is. hope he can study with all the chicas hanging onhim....

HB :D:D

Ari1

Jul 18, 2006
Utesa

:surprised Hi. How did you decide on UTESA?
Are you studying there?
I am thinking about it and I'm just curious.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you have to study in English iIthink you would be better served academically by going to UNIBE.
UTESA is a pretty poor excuse for an academic institution. I can send you the evaluation carried out by the California Medical Examining Board on UTESA...

HINT: They were not certified.

If you can handle Spanish, you are much better off at PUCMM..

Last edited:

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
I second HB. I don't know what the rates are in UTESA, but in UNIBE the cost per four-month period is RD$ 31,040.00

As for PUCMM --which offers the Medicine program only in Santiago--, I could send you a pdf document which contains all the info on their costs. That, of course, is if you speak Spanish.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That price is for Dominicans! For foreigners it is a lot, lot more, according to my sources....

PUCMM is also more expensive for foreigners, like $150 per credit. But it is cheaper than UNIBE for foreigners, but only in Spanish, since the University's philosophy is to produce good MDs for the DR, not New York City....

For Dominicans, PUCMM is a little less expensive than UNIBE or INTEC...@RD$550 a credit or about RD$12,000 + RD$6000 registration fee.
And the same fees apply to Haitians as I understand it.

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
Hillbilly said:
That price is for Dominicans! For foreigners it is a lot, lot more, according to my sources....

PUCMM is also more expensive for foreigners, like $150 per credit. But it is cheaper than UNIBE for foreigners, but only in Spanish, since the University's philosophy is to produce good MDs for the DR, not New York City....

For Dominicans, PUCMM is a little less expensive than UNIBE or INTEC...@RD$550 a credit or about RD$12,000 + RD$6000 registration fee.
And the same fees apply to Haitians as I understand it.

You are so right about saying that the price I posted is for Dominicans. The prices for foreigners are the following:

Tuition and Fees for Foreign Students

Application Fee ________________________________ US$100.00
Registration Fee (Only paid during the First Semester) US$400.00
Tuition Fee ___________________________________ US$4,000.00
Total (for the First Semester) ____________________ US$4,500.00 .

My! Is that expensive!

On the other hand, I don't know whether PUCMM's fees are still more expensive than INTEC's, since INTEC has decided to increase the price per credit and registration fees for both its undergraduate and graduate programs. Cost per credit for undergraduate will be
RD$850.00 and for graduate RD$1,200.00; registration fees (paid every three months) will be RD$5,000.00 for both undergraduate and graduate.

These fees will fully go into effect in the trimester of November to January 2006-2007. This is for Dominican students. I don't know whether rates have increased for foreign students.

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Hillbilly said:
MQ, FYI, UNIBE is a for profit outfit, and it won't be much cheaper, believe me!!

thing is he probably couldn't get into a US medical school, so here he is. hope he can study with all the chicas hanging onhim....

Well, apparently the kid is pretty good...he was supposed to go to some medical school here (never asked the name) but for some reason he told me that it would take him longer and it would be more expensive, so him and his parents decided to check that one out, and he already enrolled...

He's even doing some sort of 'apprenticeship' at Jackson Memorial here in Miami...I don't know...I just asked because he asked me about rent and stuff...and I couldn't come up with a good answer...but I'll be there this weekend and I'll get him a couple of newspapers with classifieds and he can do his own research...

Thanks, HB

MQ

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
He is going to save time and money!

here, he enters med school right away and graduates a few years ahead of the competition. IF he passes the boards he will be able to opt for a residence program in the US.

However, if he was "supposed to go to some medical school" up there and didn't it was because he was not accepted.....or because it was way more expensive than here. $40,000 a year is not above the norm for the states.

12-15000$ a year here.... Major $$ difference.

Give us a call?> Or will tony get jealous...??

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
No, Tony is not the jealous type...besides...he knows I met YOU way before I met HIM!! ;)

Yeah, I think that for his parents it was WAY too expensive here...so they decided it was better there...what you said is sort of what he told me...shorter time going to schoold, graduating ahead of some people here, and easier to pass the boards...plus, he already speaks English...that's a plus, right?

MQ

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
And here will be the problem

Musicqueen said:
No, Tony is not the jealous type...besides...he knows I met YOU way before I met HIM!! ;)

Yeah, I think that for his parents it was WAY too expensive here...so they decided it was better there...what you said is sort of what he told me...shorter time going to schoold, graduating ahead of some people here, and easier to pass the boards...plus, he already speaks English...that's a plus, right?

MQ

Passing the boards is tougher when you study down here, as you dont spend the time studying for the boards that you do in the states! Very few foreign students pass the boards first time around, normal is more like the third time.

But then again the person that graduates 1st place and the one in last are both addressed as Doctor.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
MQ,

Concerning your Cuban friend. Has he put any thought into becoming a doctor through the US military? Nice way to become a doctor at no cost other then serving the time owed for the schooling. Being a medical officer in the military isn't bad. Just a thought.

Rick

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The complete joke is

bienamor said:
But then again the person that graduates 1st place and the one in last are both addressed as Doctor.

What do they call someone who graduates last in their class in medical school? .............. DOCTOR!

JoyO

Jul 16, 2006
Thanks Everyone!

Hi,
Thanks for all of your responses. Sorry it took me so long to reply back; I was having issues with my computer. For the people who responded about apartments, thanks so much. My cousin (who lives in DR) is actually looking at apartments for me right now, so I'll send all your great information to him.

Also...in response to why I chose UTESA....
Number 1:
I know 2 doctors who graduated from there DEBT FREE! That's always a plus, I'm not trying to be in debt paying for school 15years down the line.

Number 2:
One of the doctors practices in DR and the other one had his own practice in New York. UTESA must not be that bad. Although California didn't approve them, I live in Atlanta, Georgia, and as long as you have done your residency and pass your exams, they will let you practice. And that's the only thing I'm concerned about. I have NO plans to ever move to California, but I do thank you for all of your comments/concerns.

I hope you all have a great day and weekend!

Joy

TheOP

Jul 14, 2006
Somerville, MA
JoyO said:
Hi,
Thanks for all of your responses. Sorry it took me so long to reply back; I was having issues with my computer. For the people who responded about apartments, thanks so much. My cousin (who lives in DR) is actually looking at apartments for me right now, so I'll send all your great information to him.

Also...in response to why I chose UTESA....
Number 1:
I know 2 doctors who graduated from there DEBT FREE! That's always a plus, I'm not trying to be in debt paying for school 15years down the line.

Number 2:
One of the doctors practices in DR and the other one had his own practice in New York. UTESA must not be that bad. Although California didn't approve them, I live in Atlanta, Georgia, and as long as you have done your residency and pass your exams, they will let you practice. And that's the only thing I'm concerned about. I have NO plans to ever move to California, but I do thank you for all of your comments/concerns.

I hope you all have a great day and weekend!

Joy

Pa'lante entonces!