Flight time from Toronto to Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
Can anyone tell me how long the flight from Toronto to Puerto Plata takes (direct) and is there a time difference between Toronto and Puerto Plata?

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
The flight time is approximately 4 hours direct from Toronto. The time is the same right now because the Dominican Republic does not observe daylight savings time. But during the winter months there is a one hour difference.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
curlyq said:
The flight time is approximately 4 hours direct from Toronto. The time is the same right now because the Dominican Republic does not observe daylight savings time. But during the winter months there is a one hour difference.

You can do it in 4 hours, but your arms are going to be tired! ;)

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
The flight is normally 3 1/2 hours for a direct flight from Toronto to Puerto Plata airport. Canadian Bob.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
A small perhaps overly technical point, but I'm pretty sure direct flight means without changing planes. Use the term non-stop to indicate what you really mean here. An aircraft that is going from Toronto to Puerto Plata and then on to Santo Domingo is direct from Toronto to Santo Domingo, but it's certainly not non-stop.

Yeah it's probably overly technical -- evryone knew what he meant.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Me_again said:
A small perhaps overly technical point, but I'm pretty sure direct flight means without changing planes. Use the term non-stop to indicate what you really mean here. An aircraft that is going from Toronto to Puerto Plata and then on to Santo Domingo is direct from Toronto to Santo Domingo, but it's certainly not non-stop.

Yeah it's probably overly technical -- evryone knew what he meant.

So who the heck mentioned SD? Who cares where it goes after the direct flight from TO to POP. Technical people :rolleyes:

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Jeez. That's the sort of response I expect to see on the Cuban Branch of the Thorn Tree . . . or UK and Ireland. But being a patient person who tolerates all sorts -- I'll explain.

It could have gone Toronto -- Montreal -- Halifax -- Puerto Plata and still been called a direct flight to PP.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Me_again said:
It could have gone Toronto -- Montreal -- Halifax -- Puerto Plata and still been called a direct flight to PP.
You would call that a direct flight?

To me a direct flight is from one place to another with no stops, not even to refuel.
Stopping to drop off and/or pick up passengers on the way is certainly not a direct flight by my definition.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I know that I am late on the uptake here,( just got back Sunday morning and am catching up) but I understood the question to be how long does it take to get from Toronto (YYZ) to Puerto Plata (POP). So I would have said as some already did three and a half hours. However, some exceptions do occur, suxh as we were supposed to leave Toronto at 4:05 and arrive at 8:10
Well our plane left an hour late and we arrived in Puerto Plata at 8:25. So my answer would still be three and a half hours

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Yes

Like I said it's a technical point and I didn't want to make an issue of it but travel industry definitions are:

Direct flight: A flight that may stop one or more times on its way to a destination, but does not require the passenger to change planes . . .

Non-stop flight: A flight that does not stop on its way to a destination . . .

I first found this out in 1985 flying to Santo Domingo on a "direct flight". We stopped for about an hour at Puerto Plata -- what a lovely old airport that was. When I asked my buddy in the industry about it later, he straightened me out on the industry's terms. It may not sound right but there it is.

I am now going to travel directly to the marina where I keep my sailboat and -- after a stop for Keiths beer and ice -- will puddle around in the Northumberland Strait for the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.