Samana development-help or hurt?

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
I would be interested to know what other people's views are about the recent developments in Samana (new airport, resorts reopening etc.) and what effect, if any, it will have on the recent increase in crime in the area. Now I do not want this to devolve into a discussion about whether there has been an increase. I have read posts by travelers who say that they have been held up at gun point and I have no reason to disbelieve them.

Beyond the question of crime, in what ways might this be good or bad for the area (economically, environmentally, culturally)?

I personally have very mixed feelings about it. We loved the Peninsula the first time we were there, but interestingly have only really been back once and then only briefly. It is just plain hard to get to so I am happy that it will be more accessible to us, but I am worried that it will change the area too much.

Rose

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I have read posts by travelers who say that they have been held up at gun point and I have no reason to disbelieve them.

I have missed these posts. In this forum? Please direct me to them, thank you.

G

gary short

There was a comment a while back regarding an incident at Playa Bonita.

G

gary short

It's always tranquillo when I go there. God what a beautiful place.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Development

As for Las Terrenas:

- Many constructions going on (three new plazas, offices, shops, homes);
- Thieves come from as far as the capital to do their business;
- Lot of drugs and related crime;
- Heavy pollution (two stroke fumes) from hundreds of conchos and scooters;
- Insane traffic conditions;
- Infrastructure will lag behind even more with unplanned growth;
- still good (but expensive) electricity supply from private
utility company;
- much better shopping now (several supermarkets);

m'frog

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
samanasuenos said:
I have read posts by travelers who say that they have been held up at gun point and I have no reason to disbelieve them.

I have missed these posts. In this forum? Please direct me to them, thank you.

They were on another forum and I have pm'd you the link.

Rose

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Whatever news comes from Samaná, especially if it appears to be good news, read it three times, then file it under "Wait 'tilI see it".

rmary

Oct 4, 2003
mountainfrog said:
As for Las Terrenas:

- Many constructions going on (three new plazas, offices, shops, homes);

Are they hiring local people for the construction, or bringing in outsiders? Is this helping/providing jobs for the locals or just adding frustration?

mountainfrog said:
- Thieves come from as far as the capital to do their business;
- Lot of drugs and related crime;

Why would they come from so far away? Is it that with so many new people in the area, they can blend in and perhaps have less of a chance of being caught?

I always thought that the DR had relatively (and I emphasize relatively) few problems with drugs. Is this true of the rest of the country as well?

mountainfrog said:
- Infrastructure will lag behind even more with unplanned growth;

This is going to sound totally naive, but I won't know unless I ask. Is there any kind of "planning" going on?

mountainfrog said:
- still good (but expensive) electricity supply from private
utility company;

When we were at the Gran Bahia in '97 we had the usual power outages while the hotel's own generators kicked in, so I assume they were on some kind of local grid that cut out periodically. Are things still the same? When did the private utility company come into being?

mountainfrog said:
- much better shopping now (several supermarkets);

Well that's a good thing. Are furniture and appliances and larger goods more available too? I know this had been a problem in the past.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I would really like to follow the changes in the area as they take place, so I hope you don't mind if I keep badgering you guys with questions.

Rose

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
LT Development

rmary said:
Are they hiring local people for the construction, or bringing in outsiders?
Both is being done.
Much work is given to Haitians though, whose numbers have increased considerably here.
Locals have a certain reputation when it comes to hard work.
European craftsmen (plumbers, electricians, joiners, brick layers) also compete.

rmary said:
Why would they come from so far away?
They follow the money and tourism.
Maybe they know the local police?
Who knows?
http://63.134.202.225/app/article.aspx?id=28316

rmary said:
I always thought that the DR had relatively (and I emphasize relatively) few problems with drugs. Is this true of the rest of the country as well?
Drugs are big business all over the country.
http://www.elcaribecdn.com/articulo...32B4505B9F8F102D266FDB8&Seccion=63&titular=ok
LT is believed to be one of the hot spots in that trade.

rmary said:
Is there any kind of "planning" going on?
Oh, yes... ;)

rmary said:
When did the private utility company come into being?
As far as I know, Compañia de Luz y Fuerza de Las Terrenas was authorized to generate and distribute electricity in 1994.
Later Progreso El Limon y Batalla y Luz was added.

rmary said:
Are furniture and appliances and larger goods more available too? I know this had been a problem in the past.
Yes, there are four well stocked ferreterías in LT.
Good furniture workshops are also run by expatriates.

m'frog

Last edited:

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
For newbies, let me just clarify that Las Terrenas is not the city of Samana.

Las Terrenas, while more "chic" and sophisticated (somewhat!) has seen some violent crime.

Samana is not so polished, not so much Euro influence, and is the place that is also home to the new airport (one day) and spiffied up hotels . For whatever reasons - and we can debate them elsewhere - Samana city has not suffered near as much violent crime.

As for development being good or bad, I am leary. I suspect it will be done poorly and that the environment is sure to suffer most. But that is just me.

If I am wrong on Samana city, please refer me to the source.

Thank you!

G

gary short

The Euro-tourist must appear to the local Las Terrenians as a bunch of suckers ripe for the pickin. That's why there's crime......like taken candy from a baby..... I don't like Las Terrenas just all the rest of the Samana Peninsula.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
East and West

samanasuenos said:
...Samana is not so polished, not so much Euro influence, and is the place that is also home to the new airport (one day) and spiffied up hotels ...
If I am wrong on Samana city, please refer me to the source.

Well, Saman? does have a strong influence of Europeans, you mentioned Las Terrenas (Province of Saman?) yourself.

If you refer to Saman? as Santa Barbara de Saman? (Saman? Town if you like) as the home to the new airport:
This airport is being built near El Catey, about 20 km west of Sanchez (off the road to Nagua).
Saman? Town is about 35 km east of Sanchez.

m'frog

G

gary short

Well then I stand corrected. Just my opinion based on what I've seen.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I am with you. Mfrog!

MFrog, thank you = I agree with you:

1. I agree with you, and I am unsure why you point this out. But you are right.

mountainfrog said:
Well, Saman? does have a strong influence of Europeans, you mentioned Las Terrenas (Province of Saman?) yourself.

2. Yes, SBdeS is a town, not a city.

If you refer to Saman? as Santa Barbara de Saman? (Saman? Town if you like) as the home to the new airport:

3. Yes, it is far from Samana town, but it will still have a huge impact on Santa Barbara de Samana, right?

This airport is being built near El Catey, about 20 km west of Sanchez (off the road to Nagua).
Saman? Town is about 35 km east of Sanchez.

m'frog

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Eye Witness

gary short said:
... my opinion based on what I've seen.
It's true that tourism attracts tigueres.
The kind of tourists LT sees, however, have barely enough to support petty crime (cameras, credit cards, a little cash and the lot).
The really concerning crime has other roots, which you cannot have seen so easily.

m'frog

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
New thread in Debate forum

Gentlemen (and ladies, too!)

I started a new thread in the Debate Forum for us to discuss the possible roots of crime in LT vs. Samana (town).

Please join me there.

OP - Sorry for highjacking your post.

Thank you,
Sam

G

gary short

The gullability of some astounds me in regards to petty crime. I'm sure I don't know the extent or origin of the criminality as you know it in Las Terrenas.