Dr Goes Primetime

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
According to DR1 travel News there was supposed to be an episode of CNBCs On the Money tonight ref real estate and the DR. Watched the show but nothing on DR. Anyone have an idea when this episode is supposed to air? Thanks tom

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Didn't watch it neither but will try to catch it tonight at 11PM EST ..
They did a similar feauture about Dubai which I really enjoyed very much.

here is the DR1 Tavel News story,

DR goes prime time[FONT=Verdana, Arial]
The Dominican Republic's luxury resort and residential tourism developments will be featured in an investment story scheduled to air at 7pm this Monday on NBC's On the Money program. Correspondent Kerry Sanders toured several of the Dominican Republic's leading luxury residential developments to produce the report. The NBC crew visited Puerto Plata (Velero in Cabarete), Cabrera, Casa de Campo in La Romana and Cap Cana and Roco Ki Westin in the Punta Cana area. Producer Nery Ynclan said they also visited a Haitian village where women wash clothes in the river to show that the DR is "a country of contrasts."
The Ministry of Tourism provided a guided tour, but NBC producer Nery Ynclan clarified that it was a NBC story. "It's completely a news story on the boom in American investing and construction on the island," she explained. She reports that interviewer Kerry Sanders was so enamored that he's in touch with a realtor about buying some land and that she herself would be returning to a villa on the north coast with her family in the spring.
[/FONT]

ON The Money is a great show. It's also very popular so this is great publicity for DR.

Producer Nery Ynclan said they also visited a Haitian village where women wash clothes in the river to show that the DR is "a country of contrasts."

They visited an Indian and Pakistani construction workers' camp for their Dubai special.

Last edited:

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
I think you misunderstood me - watched On the Money tonight but no mention of the show. Agree with you that it is a great show...just wondering when the one on DR is going to air...thanks Tom

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
I noticed the date on the dr1 Travel News is July 18 so it could be that "scheduled to air at 7pm this Monday" means Monday of next week.

dr1 travel news,

The Ministry of Tourism provided a guided tour, but NBC producer Nery Ynclan clarified that it was a NBC story. "It's completely a news story on the boom in American investing and construction on the island," she explained. She reports that interviewer Kerry Sanders was so enamored that he's in touch with a realtor about buying some land and that she herself would be returning to a villa on the north coast with her family in the spring.

Kerry Sander is a big shot, serious NBC reporter

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
The first time I read it, I too actually thought DR1 had made a mistake .

bu upon second reading it seem dr1 is merely paraphrasing Nery Ynclan as saying she knows for a fact Kerry is in touch with a realtor, " She reports that interviewer Kerry Sanders was so enamored that he's (i.e. Kerry Sander) in touch with a realtor about buying some land."

She (Nery Ynclan) is also saying she liked DR and will vacation with her family in the island soon, "and that she herself (i.e. Nery Ynclan) would be returning to a villa on the north coast with her family in the spring. "

She (i.e. Nery Ynclan) reports that interviewer Kerry Sanders was so enamored that he (i.e. Kerry Sander) is in touch with a realtor about buying some land and that she herself (i.e. Nery Ynclan) would be returning to a villa on the north coast with her (i.e. Nery Ynclan's) family in the spring.

He (i.e. Kerry Sander) is contemplating/planning on buying Dominican real estate

She (Nery Ynclan) will probably vacation in DR (along with her family) during the spring.

Last edited:

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Below find an email I was forwarded this am on the above mentioned show - can't wait to watch it...tom

After speaking with the producer last night it looks like, if all goes well, that we will appear next Monday July 24 2006 at 7 pm. The segment on the Dominican Republic totaled 7 minutes and can be seen on the show ON THE MONEY CNBC.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
It is on tonight - just watched the begining of ON THE MONEY and the DR segment will be shown Tonight...tom

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Very impressive report. All very positive. Some BIG BIG numbers in sales. Future looks bright for DR:classic:

G

gary short

twhitehead said:
Very impressive report. All very positive. Some BIG BIG numbers in sales. Future looks bright for DR:classic:

It's going to drive prices through the roof.....for everything. How is this good.....unless of coarse you're business is shleping brewskis on the beach......and if you're in real estate you can start polishing up your cheezy grin...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I spoke to a friend of mine a little while ago who caught the tail-end of the DR segment tonight... I forgot to watch tonight... after being frustrated last night. I hope they re-air it on the 24th!! If anyone taped it and can port it to an mpg or avi file, i'd love to see it!!!

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
gary short said:
It's going to drive prices through the roof.....for everything. How is this good.....unless of coarse you're business is shleping brewskis on the beach......and if you're in real estate you can start polishing up your cheezy grin...

Good for the economy. Good for the locals (eventually). Good for those who already own. Good for tourism. All positive for the DR as a whole. If the report had been all negative would that have been better??? Tom

G

gary short

twhitehead said:
Good for the economy. Good for the locals (eventually). Good for those who already own. Good for tourism. All positive for the DR as a whole. If the report had been all negative would that have been better??? Tom

How are prices for everything increasing going to help the rank and file. I guess I better unbusy myself and get the hell down there and buy.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
gary short said:
How are prices for everything increasing going to help the rank and file. I guess I better unbusy myself and get the hell down there and buy.

Don't wish to argue but again I ask - Would it have been better if the report was all negative?
Simple economics suggests that with growth, jobs will be created for the 'rank and file' that allows them to purchase items (even at higher prices) that were previously unattainable. As well growth does not necessarly have to lead to price inflation. Tom

G

gary short

Here's what may happen .....price inflation, a given........real estate speculation for sure......the rank and file moving from the countryside to slum like conditions in order to gain employment for poverty wages. A population fed up with liberal foreign property ownership laws......you see where this may go...better to be under the radar screen.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
gary short said:
Here's what may happen .....price inflation, a given........real estate speculation for sure......the rank and file moving from the countryside to slum like conditions in order to gain employment for poverty wages. A population fed up with liberal foreign property ownership laws......you see where this may go...better to be under the radar screen.
This should be a seperate thread.
Or this may happen....with strong economic growth, the peso will appreciate against foreign currencies. Since the DR is an import nation (for the most part) this will create better purchasing power and thus price deflation. This will create further investment, better infrastructure and higher wages as employment rates rise. You can see where this may go...tom