Some Lessons for the DR?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
An interesting article about Costa Rica's struggles to make its national park system self-sustaining while promoting eco-tourism:

http://www.peopleandplanet.net/doc.php?id=2799

I was struck by how many of the issues mirror those of the DR. Perhaps the DR government, or some third party such as the Fundacion Global, should start a dialogue/brainstorming with the Costa Rican authorities and NGOs mentioned, so the DR gets something other than just more of Jimenez's "build, build, build!" mantra... :glasses:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Holy Moly, Batman!! If you just change Dominican Republic for Costa Rica, obviate the fact that most tourists come to the DR for sun, sand and sex, and imagine if the DR could cut into the Eco-Tourism market that is out there!!!!

Thanks Keith, that was an eye-opening read!!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I have long believed that properly managed "Ecological Tourism" in the DR would eventually become a major industry.
The many beautiful and natural areas in th DR are and have been relagated to the back burner due to the lack of appropriate and incentive based attention by the Governments, past and present.
If one would follow the development of the National Park System in the USA ( I use this example only as a reference, since I am not familiar with other country's efforts ) then a "Tourism Plan" could be developed that would lead to tremendous profits, both for locals and the Tourism Industry.
Local communities could be encouraged to produce local items for resale, guided tours, etc., etc. The possibilities are endless and limitless.

Texas Bill