renting

ferrett

Jul 19, 2006
Dear Sirs / Madams,
I'd like to arrive in DR as a tourist, purchase a property and apply for "residencia temporal". As far as I know it takes 40-60 days to get the temporary residence legalized. Can the property be rented (be used by others in exchange for payment) within this period, i.e. before my having obtained the "residencia temporal"?
Thank you in advance.

P.S. Is there by any chance an "American Express" office in Santo Domingo, Santiago, Puerto Plata or Sosua?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ferrett said:
Dear Sirs / Madams,
I'd like to arrive in DR as a tourist, purchase a property and apply for "residencia temporal". As far as I know it takes 40-60 days to get the temporary residence legalized. Can the property be rented (be used by others in exchange for payment) within this period, i.e. before my having obtained the "residencia temporal"?
Thank you in advance.

P.S. Is there by any chance an "American Express" office in Santo Domingo, Santiago, Puerto Plata or Sosua?
You should apply for permanent residency. I believe it costs approx the same amount.
I'm not a lawyer, but I see no reason that you couldn't rent the property while awaiting your residency.

ferrett

Jul 19, 2006
Dear Rocky?
Thank you very much for your reply, I see my applying for permanent residency as the next step after receiving residencia temporal.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ferrett said:
Dear Rocky?
Thank you very much for your reply, I see my applying for permanent residency as the next step after receiving residencia temporal.
Maybe I'm just confusing the terms.
It's been a long time since I went down that road.
At that time, it cost the same to get a 1 year working permit, a temporary residency or a permanent residency, so permanent was the way to go.
You still had to renew it after the first year, so, in fact, the permanent was a temporary, lol, but, what else is new?
SNAFU in the DR.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Provisional residency is the first step, permanent residency the second, a year after obtaining provisional resident status. Legally, you cannot obtain permanent residency status without being a provisional resident first.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
ferrett said:
Is there by any chance an "American Express" office in Santo Domingo, Santiago, Puerto Plata or Sosua?
There are two American Express offices in Santo Domingo. I'm not sure if they provide the services you need.

BTW, welcome to DR1.