What do you think about investments in DR

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
As a new investor in Cabarete, I would like to know your opinion in the investment potential in that region.
Following 3 years of wintering in the region, last year we saw all the new developments going on in the region and decided it was time to get on the band wagon and we purchased in a new development in Cabarete. We feel that geting on board of new construction is the best way and think we decided on a good progect. We purchased a condo at Cabarete East.
Following the news coverage of NSNBC and the sales of the new condos at Ocean Dream and the other new developments in and around Cabarete and Sosua we feel that this investment is worthwhile.
I am interested in hearing from others on this issue.
When investing we took into consideration, the tax laws, the crime rate, the potential, the new government committment to tourism and investment, the possibilities in infracstructure of the region, the development of Playa Grande, but mostly the total of new developments in the region and the new outlood from Americans on investing in the RD.
Sosua, where we could have bought more cheaply an already build unit seemed good but we felt that the development of Sosua was at it's utmost and was very limited, whereas Cabarete still has room to grow Eastward.
What do you think?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
"Who

mountainfrog said:
Well, it's done.
Whatever others may think, it's too late to change things...
Good Luck!

m'frog
left the corral fence open-all the horses are out of the gate."
Or--"the train has already left the station" or
"So now you tell me!" or
"I was only gone a few minutes to go to the John--when was that ever discussed?"

nanmer

Jul 20, 2006
I am interested, as well, in the pros and cons of Sosua vs Cabarete. Which would be better to invest in?

Nan

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
You are quite right, we have made our decision, however opinions of others is still important to us!!!
Others may also be interested in what people think of the building-investment boom (so to say) going on in the area, people who are thinking of investing or people like us wondering how long we will keep this investment.

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
Should do well.....

As a mortgage broker lacated here in the capital, I do business with developers, real esate agents for different projects around the country.

From what I was told, there are applications and approvals in Cabarete for 2000+ apartments over the next two years.

Just hope things don't get over built and end up with a glut on the market! However, it does seem that you kept the three most important rules of real estate in mind.......LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!

Best of luck!

JRR

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Se Vende Signs

suzannel said:
.... the building-investment boom (so to say) going on in the area...

Wherever real estate agents have an office there seems to be a boom going on...
After the purchase is done the game begins:
Passing the buck to somebody else ("Schwarzer Peter").

m'frog

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
mountainfrog said:
Wherever real estate agents have an office there seems to be a boom going on...
After the purchase is done the game begins:
Passing the buck to somebody else ("Schwarzer Peter").

m'frog

Are you suggesting there is trickery in the Real Estate business?

Shocking, Shocking :ermm:

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
suzannel said:
As a new investor in Cabarete, I would like to know your opinion in the investment potential in that region.
Following 3 years of wintering in the region, last year we saw all the new developments going on in the region and decided it was time to get on the band wagon and we purchased in a new development in Cabarete. We feel that geting on board of new construction is the best way and think we decided on a good progect. We purchased a condo at Cabarete East.
Following the news coverage of NSNBC and the sales of the new condos at Ocean Dream and the other new developments in and around Cabarete and Sosua we feel that this investment is worthwhile.
I am interested in hearing from others on this issue.
When investing we took into consideration, the tax laws, the crime rate, the potential, the new government committment to tourism and investment, the possibilities in infracstructure of the region, the development of Playa Grande, but mostly the total of new developments in the region and the new outlood from Americans on investing in the RD.
Sosua, where we could have bought more cheaply an already build unit seemed good but we felt that the development of Sosua was at it's utmost and was very limited, whereas Cabarete still has room to grow Eastward.
What do you think?
I think the Cabarete East condo project looks first rate to me. I walk by there frequently as my house is located between CE and Cabarete. Attractive design, big beautiful pool, very nice cabana bar. I've considered selling our house to buy in there. Just haven't got around to it yet. I'm sure you will be happy with your investment.

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Anything in a desirable location between Sosua and Cabarete is a good buy and has been for the past 4 years. I think Sosua has the same potential of price growth as Cabarete or anywhere in between along the coast. Look at other carribean islands and try to find somethign comparable to the DR, you won't.

Cabarete East and other condo projects will do well as long as they don't saturate the market. Upper class people prefer villas with private pools, there is still of potential for private villas if the condo scene overdevelops.

Good luck with your new investment in Cabarete East.

aka41989

Jan 21, 2008
What do you think abount investments in DR

My husband and I just bought a condo on the beach in Cabarete as an investment. I think in the long run it will prove to be a very wise decision on our part. I think investors and others are starting to look to the North Coast because Santo Domingo and Punta Cana are priced out for many.

George_F

Apr 6, 2002
I had a serious look at investing in a condo in Cabarete in 2007. In the end my "head" ruled my "heart", I decided to invest in another property closer to home here in Scotland.
I am watching the market in Cabarete, I have no doubt that I will invest in Cabarete in the future.
The reason I chose not invest in Cabarete. At present I could not make the rental yields work. So I stuck with the market I know. At the moment, this is good, as I increased my property portfolio, prior to the lenders reducing lending funds, due to exposure to the American sub prime market. This also gives me a larger pool of clients who cant get a mortgage in the present climate, so rental demand is strong.
Back to Cabarete, what happened to Millenium? all the real estate guys in Cabarete told me that the developer was 100%, risk free, on land and planning issues, regarding his projects. Looks like garentees were, a bit premature! This does not help confidence in the Cabarete market. Or is my cynical head saying "downturn".
Thoughts on this welcome.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
George F said:
Back to Cabarete, what happened to Millenium?... This does not help confidence in the Cabarete market. Or is my cynical head saying "downturn".

** Totally 2nd hand info, unverified info **

I know one person who had put a deposit down on a condo there & I'll ask for details next time I see him.

What I did hear elsewhere is that it was 'off' and all deposits were being refunded to investors. There was speculation that a piece of beach front property that was needed ultimately could not be acquired.

If that is the case, fully refunding deposits would be a continued show of integrity by the builder (if you overlook that the units were perhaps pre-sold without having all their ducks in a row).

One of my initial thoughts when I heard about this was 'downturn in the market', but I understand the units were 100% pre-sold. There would seem to been no speculation/risk on the part of the builder if this was the case.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Here's the part I think you are missing

One of my initial thoughts when I heard about this was 'downturn in the market', but I understand the units were 100% pre-sold. There would seem to been no speculation/risk on the part of the builder if this was the case.

Well, not exactly correct. The reason is "100 % pre-sold" is NOT 100 % paid for. So, usually in a pre-construction (pre-sold) situation the builder has only recd. a small potion of the PP and now needs/hopes the people he has contracted with have the "ability" to close. (hence the lion's share of the money.) Builders will fold up their tent if they feel this is not going to happen.
JOHN

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I personally believe RE investments in the DR are very good, down a little bit from excellent, but still very much better than most similar investments elsewhere. Cabarete is, in my opinion, very much over-built with way too many condos; enough to sell for some time to come. For an smaller investor such as me this is very bad news because you will have to retain your investment, hoping for positive cash flow, while the RE market self-corrects.

If I invest in the DR these days I look for locations that; a) exist...no future promises, please and b) have no existing revenue stream and c) are as near the ocean as possible and d) are under market. Due diligence will locate these places and with some time, effort and sweat you can increase your ROI to many times what a comparable investment would gain in Florida.

Just my two cents...