Emergency visas

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
I have lived in the DR for 3 years, but recently had to return to the US for prolonged medical treatment, 4/6 months. I would like to get my girl friend, who I have lived with for more then 2 years, to come and help out. Is there anyway of getting a quick tourist visa. So far it has taken over a month just to get all the papers necessary, we have joint bank accounts and property holdings. Any advice would be appreciated.
Joe

Mavsman

Jul 22, 2006

dogstar said:
I have lived in the DR for 3 years, but recently had to return to the US for prolonged medical treatment, 4/6 months. I would like to get my girl friend, who I have lived with for more then 2 years, to come and help out. Is there anyway of getting a quick tourist visa. So far it has taken over a month just to get all the papers necessary, we have joint bank accounts and property holdings. Any advice would be appreciated.
Joe
Joe have you talked with the consulate or an immigration lawyer? If you would like tell me a little more about your case and I will ask my lawyer if it is possible to expidite a visa. Mavsman

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Mavsman said:
Joe have you talked with the consulate or an immigration lawyer? If you would like tell me a little more about your case and I will ask my lawyer if it is possible to expidite a visa. Mavsman

Good luck, you will need it. I know of someone personally who could have died during an operation in the US. Her mother was eventually allowed to come here but it wasn't fast and I seriously doubt in this situation they would grant it at all. You certainly can try, just don't be too hopefull.

-Tim

--

Last edited by a moderator:

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
I agree with a lot of what has been said.......but I disagree with some....I have been a witness of obtaining emergency visas all you need is your doctor's explanation of the situation.........but the problem with your situation is that you are not married........
When my mother lived in DR she brought a nanny with us on one of our vacations to the us.......The consulate knew she wasn't well off but the also warned my mother that if she stayed there would be a $10,000 fee for overstaying her 30 day visa........plus she won't be able to ever get her green card.(the nanny) ever........
So they are trying to fight the problem from both ends........be honest give it a try but know its going to be hard because you don't fall under any of the categories..........

Quick question?? Why haven't you married her or filled for a visa........you have been together for many years right??

just wondering sunshine

Milosos

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 2, 2006
dogstar said:
Joe

You might try explaining she is necessary (Due to financial constraints) for your medical recovery. If she can do a job no one else can fill(I believe the financial aspect would be viewed as no one else willing to do it and if you can not afford a Nurse) the requirement, you would have a much better chance having her try as an employee rather than a tourist

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
Thanks for replying

I just got off the phone with her and she called the consulate yesterday and has an interview July 31. I didn't think it would happen so fast. I sent an email to drlawyer and she had seen an add on the tv for a lawer she intends to call. She will definatly need someone to go with her, she has never been to the capital.
Sunshine, you pose a good question. We moved in together a few weeks after I met her. It takes time to know someone. For the last few months, I have been out on my sail boat, and she was at home. I was in Jamaica when I decovered a lump in my neck, an MRI said most likly cancer. Left the boat and went stateside. The journey was a good time to think about what it is I wanted, and its her. I asked her to marry me on the phone the other day, yes she said. We are one of those couples with a large age differance, guess who is older.
joe

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
Good luck!!! I'm happy you finally figured out what you want.........Its a great feeling. Stay calm and you'll be in my prayers..........

sunshine

pma22222

Jun 27, 2006
I too wish you good luck and am happy that you have figured out what you want in your life. Must be nice to finally resolve that for yourself. Just a quick question: How much older than you is she????

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
dogstar said:
I sent an email to drlawyer and she had seen an add on the tv for a lawer she intends to call. She will definatly need someone to go with her, she has never been to the capital.
I would think you need a US, not Dominican, lawyer.

If you are currently in the US, I would consult a lawyer immediately. You want to make sure you have all your ducks in order before the interview. You only get one shot.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
rellosk said:
I would think you need a US, not Dominican, lawyer.

If you are currently in the US, I would consult a lawyer immediately. You want to make sure you have all your ducks in order before the interview. You only get one shot.

Rellosk is 100% correct. A dominican lawyer will do her little or no good. remember that you are the person who is familiar with US laws, not her. You are applying to the US consulate. Most Dominican lawyers don't know anything about US law.

Joe, if it's any help my wife is 26 years younger than me and she is here on US soil with her green card. The process is long, however. It just took me 20 months to get her here, and we completed the process in June this year. The age difference usually doesn't make much difference unless the woman is older than the man, which is very unusual in DR relationships.

-Tim

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
:ninja: Well she got turned down, I kept telling her to get the letters from the cindigo,(spelling) for the business, but she didn't get them. I guess the next step is spouse visa.
Dose anyone know about a non-imigrant muyti-entry visa.
she is not interested in moving to the states, but I am interested in the visa so we may visit many countries.
joe

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
dogstar said:
:ninja: Well she got turned down, I kept telling her to get the letters from the cindigo,(spelling) for the business, but she didn't get them. I guess the next step is spouse visa.
Dose anyone know about a non-imigrant muyti-entry visa.
she is not interested in moving to the states, but I am interested in the visa so we may visit many countries.
joe
Joe, the only sure way to get her in the US is with a Spouse or a Fianc?e visa. Both will take a long time to get. About 18-24 months. I think (not 100% sure) the main advantage of the Spouse visa over the Fianc?e visa is that the former comes with a green card and the immigrant is immediately allowed to leave the US, while the former needs to apply for a change of status before they are allowed to leave the US.

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
Well everyone is pretty much correct........She had to go there on her top game......house w/ appraisals attached..bank accounts.........business letters......Something showing she had a job........or school.........family information........Tip top game........thats why you actually needed a lawyer.......all in the past now........but i guess.......fiancee visa......or just travel to countries where you need no visa.........

sunshine

apadron

Aug 9, 2003
If you are going to do a visa the Spousal visa is the way to go... A lot quicker and less paperwork. Also, the savings is greater with a Spouse visa rahter than a fiancee.

AP

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
Well everyone is pretty much correct........She had to go there on her top game......house w/ appraisals attached..bank accounts.........business letters......Something showing she had a job........or school.........family information........Tip top game........thats why you actually needed a lawyer.......all in the past now........but i guess.......fiancee visa......or just travel to countries where you need no visa.........

sunshine

The reason she got denied is that they obviously found out about the love interest. No matter how much property she has or ties to the country, If the Consulate thinks she has a BF in the USA, they are going to want her in on a spousal or fiancee' visa. Any other attempt would be viewed as a way around the system (fraud). I don't agree that you need an attorney for a tourist visa. My brother and sister-in-law got a 10 year visa without too much trouble but they are married and have many ties to the country.

-Tim

Peripatetic

Sep 7, 2006
Two points. First, you can always get an emergency appointment for a non-immigrant visa by calling the visa call center. This means that you'll get an appointment within a few days - that an emergency exists in no way affects otherwise qualifying. Second, why would anyone need a lawyer to apply for a non-immigrant visa? What would the lawyer do?