Las Canas

SPMGIRL

Jul 13, 2006
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON LAS CANAS/GASPAR HERNANDEZ...IS IT SAFE...IS THE BEACH SWIMMABLE....IS THE PROPERTY THERE( BEACHFRONT) WORTH BUYING??:chinese:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
SPMGIRL said:
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON LAS CANAS/GASPAR HERNANDEZ...IS IT SAFE...IS THE BEACH SWIMMABLE....IS THE PROPERTY THERE( BEACHFRONT) WORTH BUYING??:chinese:
Are you refering to Las Canas in Sosua or another Las Canas in Gaspar Hernandez?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
SPAMGIRL:

It would be a lot easier to read your posts if you did not type IN ALL CAPS!
Did you know it is considered SHOUTING on the internet and very poor etiquette!

Do a little research on Las Canas, they have been known to have serious power issues, in Sosua. I do not know if the two are affiliated.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Info on Las Canas

I know the area you are asking about. I spent a lot of time researching the area and looking at houses there. First off, it is safe. The beach is dirty but nothing that 2 days and a $100.00 couldn't fix. The beach is similar to that on the east side of Caberete and isn't a beach that I'd consider swimmable. It is beautiful though.

The issue with Las Canas is it's location. The plus side is that it is remote and for the most part unspoilt by urban growth. As an investment, the same is true, it's remote and the return potential is limited.

Lastly the power situation in Las Canas is deplorable, even for the DR, so remember to include a top of the line generator and inverter system in to your budget.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Jack

chestercoda

May 5, 2006
we have just bought there the beach is very swimmable. Power is hit and miss
but it is every were. we love it and will begin building soon.Prices are going up

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
What is the price per sq.m. for land in Las Canas and how does it compare to other more developed ocean community like Perla Marina and Playa Laguna? I am assuming it should be about half price and land in PM and Playa Laguna is around $45-50/sqm these days.

Thanks. I will make sure to visit this area on my next trip to Playa Grande.

Tay

DR1 Property Center
Jun 4, 2006
dr1.com
As far as prices in Las Canas, smaller lots ie less than 1/2 acre are up as high as US$65/m2 whereas larger lots ie 30,000m2 and up can be had for US$30 and under.

We firmly beleive that Las Canas is the next "great area"...hopefully we'll see more villas than apartments and it should turn out to be a truly exclusive area.

DR1 Property Center

SPMGIRL

Jul 13, 2006
Tamborista said:
SPAMGIRL:

It would be a lot easier to read your posts if you did not type IN ALL CAPS!
Did you know it is considered SHOUTING on the internet and very poor etiquette!

Do a little research on Las Canas, they have been known to have serious power issues, in Sosua. I do not know if the two are affiliated.

Sorry I'm new to blogging...what else should I know ?

SPMGIRL

Jul 13, 2006
:ermm:
ecarignan said:
What is the price per sq.m. for land in Las Canas and how does it compare to other more developed ocean community like Perla Marina and Playa Laguna? I am assuming it should be about half price and land in PM and Playa Laguna is around $45-50/sqm these days.

Thanks. I will make sure to visit this area on my next trip to Playa Grande.

Actually prices in PM are much higher over $100 sqm. I don't know Playa Laguna. At Las Canas prices are between $45-65 sqm.

SPMGIRL

Jul 13, 2006
chestercoda said:
we have just bought there the beach is very swimmable. Power is hit and miss
but it is every were. we love it and will begin building soon.Prices are going up

I am glad to hear from someone who has bought there..I am in the process of buying a lot there. I think its very beautiful but I wasn't sure about the safety of the area and whether the beach was swimmable.... you never see anyone swimming there.Good luck and enjoy !

SPMGIRL

Jul 13, 2006
jackieboo said:
I know the area you are asking about. I spent a lot of time researching the area and looking at houses there. First off, it is safe. The beach is dirty but nothing that 2 days and a $100.00 couldn't fix. The beach is similar to that on the east side of Caberete and isn't a beach that I'd consider swimmable. It is beautiful though.

The issue with Las Canas is it's location. The plus side is that it is remote and for the most part unspoilt by urban growth. As an investment, the same is true, it's remote and the return potential is limited.

Lastly the power situation in Las Canas is deplorable, even for the DR, so remember to include a top of the line generator and inverter system in to your budget.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Jack

Thank you for the feedback I appreciate it.

SPMGIRL

Jul 13, 2006
windeguy said:
We have a friend that is trying to buy out in that area. The other day we took our motorcylce down the length of the road to the ocean from the main highway. It goes for about 2 miles, I would guess, on a very uneven dirt road. The condition of the road would concern me as well as the posts about very poor electricity there.

It is a pretty location however.

Is the beach not swimmable because of undertow/reefs? There were not big waves the day we visited like there can be at La Boca in East Cabarete.

Yes you're right the road is in poor shape.

North Coast Gringo

Jan 30, 2006
SPMGIRL said:
I am glad to hear from someone who has bought there..I am in the process of buying a lot there. I think its very beautiful but I wasn't sure about the safety of the area and whether the beach was swimmable.... you never see anyone swimming there.Good luck and enjoy !

I have bought in Las Canas. The beach is usually swimmable, however, you need to play it by ear. I believe there may be undertow on some days. Just be smart about it.

SPMGIRL

Jul 13, 2006
North Coast Gringo said:
I have bought in Las Canas. The beach is usually swimmable, however, you need to play it by ear. I believe there may be undertow on some days. Just be smart about it.

Better not have any brugal on those heavy undertow days :glasses:

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Second hand

I looked seriously there last year . I live in Gaspar Hernandez
Now this is second hand and nothing else.
Not MY opinion but it did affect my decision.
The locals living there were asking under 25/sq mt but I assume you klnow about buying from locals (the dangers and the tramposos)

Not one but 3 Dominican long time residents of Gaspar Hernandez , that had nothing to sell me , and are decent upstanding and honest folks all told me that the beaches in Las Canas are very Dangerous. They also mentioned that the area has been wiped out regularly by high seas because of its geography (I hesitate to say Tsunami) .

On the contrary I spoke just this Canada day to a Canadian gentleman who has been living there for 17 years . And completely contradicts these statements.

There is an aparta/hotel there under renovation and I see several new homes being built on the beach side.

My wife and I love to go there and walk the beaches with our dog. It is a Stunningly beautiful area ! The spacing of the palms , the wide beach. And it really isn't that dirty.

Good Luck

SPMGIRL

Jul 13, 2006
windeguy said:
Is Las Canas windy like Cabarete? I ask the question because once it starts to develop, it could be "invaded" by Kite and Windsurfers. Not necessarily a bad thing, but do the geography and wind work for such activities?

Yes it is windy like Cabarete...I don't know about the geography part though.