Homosexuality in the DR

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
I was reading the thread Robert put up about the new topics he added. And was reading the one about Homosexuality in the DR, and how it is "frowned" upon, and not widely accepted.

My question has to due with Sankies. Some NOT ALL, do swing both ways for money or gifts or whatever the reason may be. My question is to us, we would classify them as bi-sexual. How are they classifed in the DR?

IF they are classified as homosexuals, are they singled out like a "normal" homosexual is? Or is it more accepted b/c they are a Sankie, and this is their "job" (for lack of a better word)?

I have met Dominicans at hotels who are 100% gay, but I am referring to those who are Sankie's and swing both ways for monetary gain.

**Not that there is anything wrong being gay***
:bunny:

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Thanks m'frog.

But are the Sankie's looked upon negatively as the "normal" homosexuals? Where some Dominicans do not want to be around other known Dominican homsexuals for fear of being classified as one. As I understood from Roberts article.

Don't get me wrong, Sankies are a dangerous "breed" ;) as illustrated in your attached article.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
one of my favorite quotes....that i actualy came up with myself when i came out....is that "sexuality is meant to be explored...not defined".

"live and let live" is another good one...but i didnt come up with that one.

As a gay guy who does travel to the DR here and there....i find that many of the men are just sexual. There realy is no real definition of "gay" there.

what i find insteresting. is the number of men who want to hang out with a spanish/gringo.....not for gifts or money....but for the simple fact that they can be with another masculine (or just regular) gay dude. They cant or wont do it with other domincans....so their whole sexuality is lived off the experiences with tourists.

Not talking about sankies...but real domincan and educated men.

very sad if you ask me.

as far as the sankies....they get it up for a buck...and dont any of the girls here forget that. There are some sankies who dont HAVE to go both ways....but many many many do.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

baileyboy said:
...But are the Sankie's looked upon negatively as the "normal" homosexuals?

I don't think so.
At least not in their low class environment, where they are considered smart enough to live off stupid gringas.
It's socially accepted on their class level.

baileyboy said:
....Sankies are a dangerous "breed" ;) as illustrated in your attached article.
The example is certainly not representative for the trade.
A 'normal' sankie is not that dangerous as this would endanger his employment and ruin his reputation as a perfect lover with his gringa fans.

m'frog

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Thanks to you guys. It was just a question that I thought of while reading that Homosexuality article Robert Posted.

I was over at my friends house tonight, she lived in the DR for a year with her husband, and she had met a Dominican girl, while walking along the Malecon. My friend wasn't working at the time, so she hung out, and met different people. This was at the beginning of the year she spent there, and made the mistake of making friends with just anybody.

This Dominican girl asked about her belly ring, and got sort of touchy feely, finally my friend's husband showed up, and he got her to go, but not before this Domincian giil asked if Lesbian was common in Cda, and accepted. My friend replied "It is o.k, you will get the odd person who isnt for it, but for the most part it is accepted." The Dominican girl said that it is not accepted in the DR, and then started to ask for money to get home etc...then my friends husband showed up, and that was the end of it.

Similiar to what you mentioned jrzguy, that it's like they go towards the gringo/as to explore without the fear of their community finding out. Maybe? Just my thoughts about it.

Lisa

MarkusL1

May 3, 2004
Gay for pay is an almost mainstream thing these days. Starts with straight actors who now ALL have to play a gay character all the way to guys who have sex with other guys for financial or other gain.
Some men from the third world approaching european gay men soley for visa and citizenship purposes. At least here equality has been reached.
But who can blame a poor person who is looking for a so called better life?
Those peope think material things will make you happy, while people with lots of materialistic things realising that money and property doesn't make you happy at all.
Everyone wants something -we all just use different methods to get it.
I have seen people do much worse things than having sex for money in order to achive financial gain.
I really don't know what the facination with prostitution is . It's all around us: From the slums all the way to the White House.
Prostitution is the oldest trade in the world and in reality as normal and comon as a fake smile.
It's just sad if people have to do it because they would otherwise go hungry or are forced to do it. But I think that doesn't really apply to most of the DR Sankies.

Again, it's amazing how such a comon thing is so facinating to most of us....

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Not trying to stir controversy, but from my own travelling around the world, I've notice the unexplainably large proportion of Dominican women (maybe men also) working in prostitution, more than poverty or dispair alone can explain. Is it the culture? is it the genes? The unorthodox attitude of the Taino natives is something even the early Conquerors noticed. "Histoire Naturelle Des Indes" (The Drake Manuscript in the Pierpont Morgan Library) first published in the late 16th century has interesting descriptions, including the illustration below...

20rs5g4.jpg

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Money, money, money

Mirador said:
....I've notice the unexplainably large proportion of Dominican women (maybe men also) working in prostitution, more than poverty or dispair alone can explain. Is it the culture? ....
Could it have to do with morals and ethics?
Where virtues are almost unknown among authorities and government, why should this not influence private behaviour also?
Necessity or greed?

m'frog

Last edited:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i wasnt talking about prositution or sankies tho

I am talking about educated gay dominicans who dont feel comfortable mingiling with other gay domincans. I have been contacted and met a few guys from DR1 here in nyc and in the DR. (not for sex...but mainly just to talk to)

its all too complicated to explain without using broad generalizations. I guess what it is...is that they feel comfortable with the gringo or tourist cuz their secret wont get out. it has nothing to do with money and working the tourist. sure there are the tigres and sankies...but there is a whole class of other people wanting to explore this. Not always for sex...but just to have someone to talk to in confidence.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
jrzyguy said:
i wasnt talking about prositution or sankies tho

I am talking about educated gay dominicans who dont feel comfortable mingiling with other gay domincans. I have been contacted and met a few guys from DR1 here in nyc and in the DR. (not for sex...but mainly just to talk to)

its all too complicated to explain without using broad generalizations. I guess what it is...is that they feel comfortable with the gringo or tourist cuz their secret wont get out. it has nothing to do with money and working the tourist. sure there are the tigres and sankies...but there is a whole class of other people wanting to explore this. Not always for sex...but just to have someone to talk to in confidence.

Notwithstanding that you say "sexuality is meant to be explored...not defined", ... "live and let live", and...."..there realy is no real definition of gay there", you seem desperately searching for a definition. Come on! this is the sankie 101 forum, don't be bashful, let's hear about your own experience with the local sankies...

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Oh please...i am not claiming innocence here. Sure i have messed around with sankies and such. But there is a difference when playing with a sankie...and meeting an educated domincan man who cant live his life openly.

Ok...here is a fun sankie story. I met this guy a couple of years ago. It was the second to last night of my vacation.. He was totaly hot and giving me the whole come on. I explained again and again...that this was the end of my vacation and i didnt have much money. "no problem...cuz i luv you and i want to be your boyfriend". Needless to say...after showing off his extreamly large...uh...personality....he ended up at my place. And durring the "actions" started yelling...'i love you i love you i love you ....can you please give me 4000 pesos!!!" lol.

He got a nice shirt out of the deal.

The next evening i saw him hitting on some large german woman....so yeah...be careful ladies...many DO swing both ways!

so yeah...i admit to playing around....but then after traveling for 8 years...i have met some people who live an entire life that does not mean feeding off of tourists.

I guess what i am trying to say...and cant find a definition for ...is that there are pleanty of men there who are not sankie....but just who are just plain old sexual and horny and just want to get it on. THey do not lable themselves by the american gay ghetto gay...but are very active none-the-less.

Perhaps i should return to do some more research in this matter? ;-)