licence

risa2005

Jul 5, 2006
Hi I hope I'm posting in the right place! I was wondering how much it cost to get a licence in Santiago, and how long it takes?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How about this? From some content that is just about to appear on DR1 in the next couple of days.

-----------------------

Getting a Driver?s License in the Dominican Republic.

Getting your license in the Dominican Republic is a straightforward process. Bring your cedula and a copy of the document with you to La Direccion General de Transito Terreste (DGTT), which is the equivalent of the department of motor vehicles. Make sure you have studied the driver?s manual before you take your driving exam. Next, you must pay taxes in order to receive your license:

Driver?s License: RD$455
Exam: RD$200
Medical Exam RD$40
Classification Fee: RD$75
Taxes: RD$20
Cost of Forms and Services: RD$85
Total: RD$855

At DGTT go to window # 1 and present your cedula and one copy, and pay for the driver?s license. Next, go to window #2 and present your cedula, along with the receipt of payment of taxes, and the receipt of payment for the driver?s license. Thirdly, go to window # 5 and present your cedula with the previous receipts, so that the information can be checked to make sure it?s accurate.

After that, present all previous documents to window # 6, in order to take the written exam, and wait until you?re called.

Following the written exam you?ll be asked to take a road test. Once you?ve taken your exam, and you?ve passed, continue to window #8 and present all the documents in order to take your photo, and to declare all pertinent information.

Before you have finished, check all information, and make sure that it is accurate. Once you have confirmed the accuracy of all information, you will receive your Dominican driver?s license.

Note: Driver?s tests in the Dominican Republic are done in standard vehicles, i.e. vehicles with stick shifts. You can opt to take your test in an automatic vehicle, but it will be listed as a restriction on your license. If you choose to take your test with a standard vehicle, but don?t own one, you can rent one at DGTT for RD$300.

For foreigners wishing to obtain a Dominican driver?s license there is a separate, but similar process. First, foreigners must present their valid licenses from their country of origin with a certification from the Dominican embassy or consulate offices, verifying the validity of the license. Then take this document to the department of foreign relations and legalizations (Cancilleria) and have the document legalized there. Provide photocopies of all documents, present to DGTT, and follow the steps outlined above. The taxes for foreigners are different, and are listed below.

Driver?s License: RD$455
Exam: RD$200
Medical Exam: RD$40
Classification Fee: RD$75
Taxes: RD$70
Cost of Forms and Services: RD$85
Additional Taxes: RD$20
Total: RD$925

If you are in the country legally and have not overstayed your tourist visa (15 days) you will be able to drive using your foreign license.

If you wish to get a Dominican driver?s license, be aware that the United States Embassy will NOT validate your license. If you still want a Dominican driver?s license, and your embassy doesn?t validate, you will first need a cedula before you can get a license. Assuming you have a cedula, you will have to visit the Department of Motor Vehicles and take a driving test.

Most European Embassies, however, will validate licenses. If your country?s embassy does validate your license, the Department of Motor Vehicles requires the following:

1) A valid license from a foreign country
2) Certification from the foreign country's consular or diplomatic mission in the DR stating that the foreign license is valid
3) Authentication of the certification at the Dominican Ministry of Foreign Affairs (La Cancilleria)
4) Passport, valid for at least a year from the time of the application with residency visa or work permit or cedula
5) Payment of fees for medical exam, blood test and license at Banco de Reservas.
6) Medical exam and blood test results

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Robert,

How come I had to wait 45 days before I was allowed to take my driven test? I did it in La Romana and although it all went very smoothly (and I managed to get my licence!), I had to go first for the theoretical test (on a touchscreen computer) and then back over 45 days later for a `charla` on defensive driving and then had the driving test done... I was actually very surprised on the level of tecnology these people are using. From digital signatures like on your cedula to finger printing all over the place. At least something`s getting in order!

SPMGIRL

Jul 13, 2006
I do not have my cedula yet but want to get my Dominican drivers license....I'm American. What do I have to do ?

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Why..

Why would any non dominican want to produce a Dominican Drivers Lic. to the Police... OOPPS.. there goes my stupid Tourist excuse.....Cheers. M.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
mikeyone said:
Why would any non dominican want to produce a Dominican Drivers Lic. to the Police... OOPPS.. there goes my stupid Tourist excuse.....Cheers. M.

Your foreign drivers license is valid for the duration of your visa, in most cases 15 days.

If you have an accident after it has expired, you may be in for a world of problems!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Robert said:
Your foreign drivers license is valid for the duration of your visa, in most cases 15 days.

If you have an accident after it has expired, you may be in for a world of problems!
Not least of which (from what I am told by the Insurance Company I deal with) is that your insurance policy becomes invalid after 6 months if you do not have a Dominican Driving Licence! It MAY be at the expiry of your visa - i.e. 15 days now, so check this point very carefully on your policy!!

Congrats on the article Robert. Very useful information & I hope many of those NOT yet holding a Dominican Driving Licence will now go and get one! ~ Grahame.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
2 questions:

--- please explain the "restriction" attached to your license if you choose to take your test in an automatic vehicle. Does this mean that you would be restriced to driving automatic vehicles? I own an automatic, I dont know how to drive a stick and I dont want to know how to drive a stick.

--- elaborate on the 45 day wait. Is it a 45 day wait in between the written and physical exams or a 45 day wait after taking both that you recieve your license and if so, are you given a temporary license in the meantime or something other to produce in the case of being pulled over or getting into an accident?

Larry

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
The test

Is this test offered in English? As my spanish is limited at this point..Especially reading it...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For Larry and Zak,

The first license issued to you will be a learner?s permit. There are no restrictions, but it is only good for a year and you need a real license after this period. However, after 45 days you can go back and get a regular license.

If you have a Cedula and want a license, I can get you one on the North Coast. You only need a Cedula, have some Pesos, and be alive and breathing.

Zak can PM me if needed.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
2 questions:

--- please explain the "restriction" attached to your license if you choose to take your test in an automatic vehicle. Does this mean that you would be restriced to driving automatic vehicles? I own an automatic, I dont know how to drive a stick and I dont want to know how to drive a stick.

Larry

That would be right. If you take your test with an automatic vehicle, you are restricted to driving only automatic. In your case it doesn't appear to be much of a problem since you don't plan on driving with a stick...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have a Dominican license. I took the test on an automatic, even though I drive a stick also. There are no restrictions on my license.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
The first license issued to you will be a learner’s permit. There are no restrictions, but it is only good for a year and you need a real license after this period. However, after 45 days you can go back and get a regular license.
You are not supposed to be driving on your own with a learner's permit. You are supposed to be accompanied by a fullly licensed person at all times (you are supposed to be learning, right?).

About restrictions:

I had two on my old driver's license: I took my first exam wearing glasses and drove an automatic. My first license said "automatic" and I had to take the picture with glasses on. I was not supposed to be driving sans glasses. In subsequent renewals I was able to convince them to let me have the picture taken without glasses and the restriction on not driving a stick misteriously dissapeared.

And by the way, Mr. Pib had his Dominican driver's license issued recently. It is like Rob says. Be prepared to look like a moron in the picture. They seem to have a software for that.

Ms. Bok.