VISA to the U.S.

BisouBisou

Feb 4, 2005
Hello,

My boyfriend and I are in the process of applying for a non-immigration visa to the U.S. We have visited the U.S. Embassy website and are now familiar with the application process. (If you have any tips...I would love to hear them!)

Anyway, the other day he met a couple in a similar situation. The man mentioned that I could personally visit the Consulate General in NYC and apply there on his behalf. I would also be able to explain our relationship and the reasons I am unable to visit the DR at this time.

My Spanish (which is some weird hybrid of Italian and French) is far from perfect, so I may have misunderstood something. He did mention that I could bring him to the U.S. "come mi novio" but was not refering to the fiance visa. Does this sound familiar? Has anyone ever applied in a similar way?

I greatly appreciate any and all help. Thank you!

BisouBisou

Feb 4, 2005
Thank you for responding to my question. I looked back at the older responses, and I am aware of the requirements and time it will take for him to obtain a visa.

I will let my boyfriend know that his friend came to the U.S. on a fiance visa, which I guess is the visa that I described.

And please excuse me for not thinking of my previous post. I don't readily think of Puerto Rico as part of the U.S.A. since it is not a state.

Thank you again.

BisouBisou

Feb 4, 2005
Thank you for explaining that "come mi novio" refers to a finance visa. As I mentioned, my spanish is not perfect.

As for your comment about my relationship -- sounds (very) familiar -- I would appreciate it if you did not try to make this forum into another 'sankie" thread. I did not post under the heading "men are from mars..." I posted under "visa" with the expectations that people with personal experiences would help me answer questions that were not available at the consulate's website. Thank you.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
BisouBisou said:
Hello,

My boyfriend and I are in the process of applying for a non-immigration visa to the U.S. We have visited the U.S. Embassy website and are now familiar with the application process. (If you have any tips...I would love to hear them!)

Anyway, the other day he met a couple in a similar situation. The man mentioned that I could personally visit the Consulate General in NYC and apply there on his behalf. I would also be able to explain our relationship and the reasons I am unable to visit the DR at this time.

My Spanish (which is some weird hybrid of Italian and French) is far from perfect, so I may have misunderstood something. He did mention that I could bring him to the U.S. "come mi novio" but was not refering to the fiance visa. Does this sound familiar? Has anyone ever applied in a similar way?

I greatly appreciate any and all help. Thank you!

Unfortunately, you are not applying for a visa to the DR so you can't go to the Consulate general here and apply. You must go through the USCIS and file your I-130 or I-129f depending on if you are married or not. The process is long and requires allot of personal investment, not necessarily in monetary form. Be sure youa are committed to him and he is committed to you before you start. Your process can take 2 years now as there is a huge waiting list for interviews. Don't bother going for a tourist visa, you will be denied.

-Tim
--
Visit the Dominican immigration forums at:

http://www.dominicanstotheusa.com
http://forums.dominicanstotheusa.com

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
BisouBisou: the problem is that 99.5% of these fiancés are just looking to get a visa to anywhere, no matter what the cost....

Everyone on this board has seen thirty or forty of posts just like yours.

You met the young man at a resort, you fell in love, yadda yadda yadda...

By definition, these fellows are sankies..Sorry to be so clear.

The visa process will certainly take years, at least, unless, of course, your "novio" is a well educated, well employed business person of some repute, with his own apartment, car, bank account with at least 6 figures in it and a credit line in pesos and dollars... In other words, the owner or manager of the resort, not a worker at any level. If this were true, he would already have a visa.

Look at it like this: Any Dominican that wants a visa and is eligible, has already applied for it. Some that are very eligible are turned down. A minute number of Dominicans that have no interest in travelling to the US have not applied for a visa, but the other 99% already have or are planning to in the very near future. This means that your novio is not eligible for a visa. The fact that you are involved means that he is using you to get a visa. Plain and simple until PROVEN otherwise.

HB:(:(:(

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Also keep in mind that a fiancés visa is exactly that and you have to marry within three months of landing or he/she has to return to the DR.

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
Well .......I feel bad for your situation is a very sticky position to be in......AS you said before your spanish is not great his english i'm assuming is not the best either........If you do go the fiancee route which is called a K1 it will cost you about $170 if the fees haven't changed......and you will be responsible for this man for at least 3 years. That means if he decides to leave you after he enters the US you will be struck with bills from uncle sam if he decides to go for govt programs.

I know its hard.......but try not to get defensive........The ppl in the forum know what they are talking about.......you only know your case they have seen hundreds......and also have seen the unhappy endings.........so please be open and good luck with what ever you do........Even if it takes 18 to 24 months (which is the wait for a K1 visa) take this time to have your relationship grow and be tested.........

sunshine

BisouBisou

Feb 4, 2005
Thank you for your help! I appreciate the time you all took to answer my questions :)

I will not be applying for a finace visa -- I do not plan on marrying for a long, LONG time.

I have been pressuring my boyfriend to apply for a tourist visa. From what I have read here, I know it will be a long (and perhaps unrewarding) process, but I guess it's worth trying. I won't be going to the DR for a long time, and at least there is a chance he can come to the states.

Thank you again, I truly appreciate it!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
BisouBisou said:
I have been pressuring my boyfriend to apply for a tourist visa. From what I have read here, I know it will be a long (and perhaps unrewarding) process, but I guess it's worth trying.
Unless the process has changed, the tourist visa is not a long process. My guess is that it should take less than a couple of months.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The process

for a tourist visa may not be long, but it is restrictive, and the average Dominican will not qualify, especially those who date tourists. I believe among the requirements are to own property, have a fairly substantial amount in the bank, and a letter from your employer stating that you have a job waiting for you when you return.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think she read my post.....Oh well, we can only try to shed some light for these folks...

HB :(:(:(

BisouBisou

Feb 4, 2005
I did read your post. I have learned from reading these threads that the visa process can be difficult, and that is why I continue to read them. I want to be prepared for the process. I am sorry if you're disappointed that I still plan on applying after reading your "warnings" but I refuse to not even try.

I have also noted yours, as well as countless other, comments about sankies. For many reasons, I have never considered by boyfriend to be one. As for my past and present visa inquiries -- they are of my own volition. My boyfriend has never asked for my help in coming to the U.S. However, I keep pressuring him to apply - to try. I know that my explaination will probably do little in changing your mind, since I probably do sound like a lot of other girls. You took the time to answer my question, and I did not want you to think that I completely disregarded what you had to say.

Thank you all again for the advice :)

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
I guess what everyone here wants to know.......and please forgive me if I seem nosey.......How is this situation diferent .....maybe we can guide you in what to get to have a positive outcome in the interview for a tourist visa.......Which by the way is only going to be valid for a month or so.....my husbands cousin(male 16 ) just got a visa a week ago and was only for 30 days.......his sister(20) applied in dec and got a year the whole family has visas except the oldest sister who has her green card and lives in utah......And he still only got a month so he has to be back before school........the point of my story is the consulate is a gamble.......The whole family wanted to spend x-mas in utah and can't because he only got one month.......he would have to apply all over again for another month or so.....

Good luck and please share......

sunshine

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
sunshine73 said:
I guess what everyone here wants to know.......and please forgive me if I seem nosey.......How is this situation diferent .....maybe we can guide you in what to get to have a positive outcome in the interview for a tourist visa.......Which by the way is only going to be valid for a month or so.....my husbands cousin(male 16 ) just got a visa a week ago and was only for 30 days.......his sister(20) applied in dec and got a year the whole family has visas except the oldest sister who has her green card and lives in utah......And he still only got a month so he has to be back before school........the point of my story is the consulate is a gamble.......The whole family wanted to spend x-mas in utah and can't because he only got one month.......he would have to apply all over again for another month or so.....

Good luck and please share......

sunshine
The long and short of it, as we know, is that it isn't going to happen. If there is any sort of romantic relationship, she is really not having him apply for the correct reason and the Consulate would almost surely see it as visa fraud, or an attempt to circumvent the visa process. Dominicans who are well connected and stable CAN and DO get visas and they aren't just for a month or so. My own sister-in-law and her husband were granted a 10 year visitor visa just last year. Total process time about 3 months. The difference is they are both Dominican and obviously married to each other. There is virtually no chance they will stay in the US because they both have high paying Dominican jobs and own 2 cars. This is about the only kind of situation where a long term visitor visa will be granted. For someone romantically involved with a US citizen.....no way. I would advise you also not to have him lie to the Consulate. They are not stupid, and do investigate these things.

To clear up another point, when a dominican marries a USC in the DR, that doesn't mean they can just "apply for a green card" In a sense, yes that is what they are doing, but actually the USC has to petition for their spouse and that is the same as a regular visa. They will have to submit an I-130 and wait just like the K1 fiance' visas do. The process is by no means 6 months or even 18 months now. I just finished bringing my wife to the US and it took 20 months total. That was with everything going flawlessly. New people starting out are looking at approximately a 2 year wait, even if they also file a K3. I know no one wants to believe the wait is that long but currently there are just over 26,500 people waiting for an interview date at the Consulate. They are moving up the list at 1200-1500 spots per month. If you do the math, you will see what I mean. The waiting list for those that don't think it's real is at http://www.usemb.gov.do/Consular/waiting_list.htm

-Tim
--

Last edited by a moderator: