Marriage And Citizenship

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
To quote the legal page:

In addition to being the offspring of a Dominican citizen, you can acquire Dominican citizenship through marriage. A foreign woman who marries a Dominican has the right to Dominican citizenship. This does not work in reverse. A foreign man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship.​

I have two questions:

How does this affect the application time for residency for a woman? Does this mean that immediately once the woman is married she can apply for a cedula?

Does anyone know why a man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship?

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
nikke said:
To quote the legal page:

In addition to being the offspring of a Dominican citizen, you can acquire Dominican citizenship through marriage. A foreign woman who marries a Dominican has the right to Dominican citizenship. This does not work in reverse. A foreign man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship.​

I have two questions:

How does this affect the application time for residency for a woman? Does this mean that immediately once the woman is married she can apply for a cedula?

Does anyone know why a man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship?

i'm sorry i don't answers to your questions, but i did want to comment that i think it's great the foreign women are entitled to dominican citizenship by marriage to a dominican - finally a benefit.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Desirable Passport?

skyblue said:
... it's great the foreign women are entitled to dominican citizenship by marriage to a dominican - finally a benefit.

Depends.
Many countries have their citizens lose their passports when adopting another nationality as they do not allow dual citizenship.
This may result in the loss of very valuable benefits (e.g. social welfare, pensions, etc.) and needs to be thought about thoroughly.
What benefits does the Dominican citizenship provide anyway?

And then:
Imagine:
A German woman giving up her German citizenship for a Dominican Passport (to become a full member of 'paradise' :laugh: ). Marriage goes down the drain. She'd need a visa to return to Mami....!!!!!!!!!

m'frog

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
mountainfrog said:
Depends.
Many countries have their citizens lose their passports when adopting another nationality as they do not allow dual citizenship.
This may result in the loss of very valuable benefits (e.g. social welfare, pensions, etc.) and needs to be thought about thoroughly.
What benefits does the Dominican citizenship provide anyway?

And then:
Imagine:
A German woman giving up her German citizenship for a Dominican Passport (to become a full member of 'paradise' :laugh: ). Marriage goes down the drain. She'd need a visa to return to Mami....!!!!!!!!!

m'frog

benefit with no real merrit. no citizen in the world , to me, is better than US citizenship for all the re;) asons you just mentioned.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
skyblue said:
benefit with no real merrit. no citizen in the world , to me, is better than US citizenship for all the re;) asons you just mentioned.

Then you should do some research, because many countries offer better pensions, medical systems,...etc along with just as many, sometimes more personal freedoms than the USA.
The DR, as well has many other countries allow dual citizenship.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
nikke said:
To quote the legal page:

I have two questions:

Thanks for the insight, LOL, but is there anyone who knows the answer to my original question?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Macho Law

nikke said:
.... but is there anyone who knows the answer to my original question?
"Does anyone know why a man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship?"

The law does not provide this. ;)

m'frog

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
bob saunders said:
Then you should do some research, because many countries offer better pensions, medical systems,...etc along with just as many, sometimes more personal freedoms than the USA.
The DR, as well has many other countries allow dual citizenship.

i know the us allows dual citizenship, not an issue. i still stand stong the MY belief is that MY US citizenship is the BEST. i don't base my opinion on Pension i base it on flexibility and what it does for me. if your opinion differs then so be it. we can't all think alike.
:ermm:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
nikke said:
To quote the legal page:

I have two questions:

She has the right to citizenship, but she has to go through most of the usual steps. The advantage is that the documentation only deals with two government bodies -- Junta Central Electoral and the Secretaria de Interior y Policia, not three (Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores). Thus there is time saving, probably cuts a third of the time of the other procedure.

As stated below, that is the way the law is written. I suppose someone could challenge this in the Supreme Court, as this could be regarded as gender discrimination.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Thanks I was just wondering about the gender issue...maybe there was some historical or political reason for it. I'm sure there is...

Does anyone know the answer to my other question? Does the automatic right to citizenship for a woman who marries a Dominican facilitate her application for residency?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Why

nikke said:
Thanks I was just wondering about the gender issue...maybe there was some historical or political reason for it. I'm sure there is...

Does anyone know the answer to my other question? Does the automatic right to citizenship for a woman who marries a Dominican facilitate her application for residency?

Would you worry about residency if you have citizenship? I am so confused!:surprised

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
bienamor said:
Would you worry about residency if you have citizenship? I am so confused!:surprised

Me too, that's why I'm asking. Because residency is not the same as citizenship...or is it?

Can Sr. Guzman answer this question?

Thanks

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A foreigner wishing to become a Dominican citizen must first become a resident and then apply for citizenship. There are exceptions such as the case of a woman married to a Dominican citizen or that of foreign children of Dominican citizens.

Residency grants a foreigner the right to live and work in the Dominican Republic indefinitely, however, only citizenship grants him or her ?political? rights, such as the right to vote or to be elected to public office.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Fabio J. Guzman said:
A foreigner wishing to become a Dominican citizen must first become a resident and then apply for citizenship. There are exceptions such as the case of a woman married to a Dominican citizen or that of foreign children of Dominican citizens.

Residency grants a foreigner the right to live and work in the Dominican Republic indefinitely, however, only citizenship grants him or her ?political? rights, such as the right to vote or to be elected to public office.

Thank you, Sr. Guzman. Does the woman married to a Dominican have any advantage when applying for residency?

sarita

May 5, 2005
if you want dominican citizanship you must still go through the process of applying for it even if you are married to a dominican. i was going to do this and still am but we are back in england at the moment.you have to get ur birth certificate legalized n translated in the dominican embassy in the country in which you have citizanship. theres other papers that you need but i cant remember what they are. hth

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
I haven?t checked this but I remember from my studies of International Law that women in some places lost their nationality upon marrying a foreigner, thus becoming stateless unless the country of their spouse allowed their naturalization. Because of this problem, the United Nations adopted a resolution in the 1950's urging all member states to provide for a quick naturalization process for the wives of their citizens.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I knew there had to be a reason for this rule. Thank you! Sr. Guzman, does the quick naturalization of the woman also speed up or facilitate her obtaining residency?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Nikke,

I noticed that part of your original questions wern?t answered.

According to the Dominican constitution Title III, Article 11, Paragraph III says;

?La mujer extranjera que contrae matrimonio con un dominicano seguir? la condici?n de su marido, a menos que las leyes de su pa?s le permitan conservar su nacionalidad, caso en el cual tendr? la facultad de declarar, en el acta de matrimonio, que declina la nacionalidad dominicana?

So that is where it is allowed for a woman to marry a Dominican man and become a Dominican citizen.

Paragraph II says;

?La mujer dominicana casada con un extranjero podr? adquirir la nacionalidad de su marido.?

Giving the Dominican woman the right to acquire the nationality of her husband.

Rick.

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Does a man married to a Dominican woman have the right to stay in the country as a visitor with neither residence nor citizenship?