flight price question

hyundridz

Jul 12, 2006
im going from nj to puerto plata and its $420 roundtrip non stop in mid-October. how long do you think i have until the price shoots up or until the nonstop flights are sold out?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
This is really unpredictable, so its a gamble. If the price looks good, dont wait.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
hyundridz said:
im going from nj to puerto plata and its $420 roundtrip non stop in mid-October. how long do you think i have until the price shoots up or until the nonstop flights are sold out?

Is that on Continental flying out of EWR?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
For the most part after Labor Day and up untill Memorial Day the price out of EWR to STI, POP, and SDQ remain around the $400 mark (taxes and fees included), with the exception of major holidays.

I would buy the ticket anytime. The sooner you buy the closer towards the front of the plane your seat will be. Use the online seat selector. A little secret I learned is to print my boarding pass 24 hours in advance. But before you print the boarding pass review available seats. You will be surprised what seats become available 24 hours prior to departure.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bigbird said:
A little secret I learned is to print my boarding pass 24 hours in advance. But before you print the boarding pass review available seats. You will be surprised what seats become available 24 hours prior to departure.
Continental won't let you change your seat on-line within 36 hours of a flight.

I'm not sure if the rule applies for flights within the U.S.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
rellosk said:
Continental won't let you change your seat on-line within 36 hours of a flight.

I'm not sure if the rule applies for flights within the U.S.

Rellosk here is the catch. You have to log in to print your boarding pass 24 hrs or less before departure. Once you commit to printing your boarding pass online you can change your seat to darn near any available seat except 1st class and the cockpit. Last few trips I have changed my seat from row 20ish to row #8. Row #8 is the row when boarding the plane. I could stretch my legs as far as they could go with room to spare. Also the exit row seating becomes available. I have done this departing from the USA and departing from the DR.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bigbird said:
Rellosk here is the catch. You have to log in to print your boarding pass 24 hrs or less before departure. Once you commit to printing your boarding pass online you can change your seat to darn near any available seat except 1st class and the cockpit.
Neat trick. It sounds like a software flaw.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
rellosk said:
Neat trick. It sounds like a software flaw.

I read somewhere in the fine print that Continental saves "special seats" up untill 24 hours before a flight in case they are needed for someone with special needs.