Photo Share: Playa Bayahibe

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
helpmann said:
I greatly appreciate all those that have posted scenic photos to the board. Without them, I would have never traveled to Playa Bayahibe.

Thanks,
Helpmann :)

Pics are great but how about a little more info on Playa Bayahibe. Is it a good spot to make a day trip? If staying in the Capital how far away is Playa Bayahibe? Can it be reached by public transportation?

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Good Tip!

Hlywud said:
Great pics, but if you make you photobucket album public you could have posted a single link and we could have loaded the whole album and viewed in a slideshow, easier than all the clicking
Thanks for the tip. Nevertheless, I don't want to make all photos in the "Helpmann Album" public.

-Helpmann :cheeky:

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
A Few More Details...

bigbird said:
Pics are great but how about a little more info on Playa Bayahibe. Is it a good spot to make a day trip? If staying in the Capital how far away is Playa Bayahibe? Can it be reached by public transportation?
It's about a 70-80 minute drive (I drive fast) from Boca Chica to Playa Bayahibe. If you're coming from the capital, I guess you can add another 30-40 minutes (depending on traffic and location within SD.) I don't know about public transportation.

If you want to SCUBA, snorkel, go boating, take trips out Catalina or Saona Island, or just lie on the beach then it's a good spot to make a day trip. I didn't see any restaurants and much of the beach is private (resort owned.) Nevertheless, the public beach is adjacent to the private beach ("a line in the sand") and there were Dominicans and tourists alike on the public beach. There are a few vendor shacks along the beach and a few stores (mostly for water sports/activities) not too far from the beach.

I'm sure there's much more to see and do in Playa Bayahibe; however, I was only out there for an hour. I was SCUBA diving in Juan Dolio, I finished early, and I decided to make quick trip out to Playa Bayahibe to see what was there. I don't think I would return unless I planned to go boating, SCUBA diving, or go out to Catalina or Saona Island.

-Helpmann :)

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Having spent a lot of time at Playa Bayahibe I really enjoyed your photos. Just one question, where are the chica photos? Seriously, Playa Bayahibe, is only 1 1/2hrs. from the Capital and is a wonderful spot. Small and laid-back it has a great public beach, good restaurants, and access to La Romana and Higuey.

Chuckuindy

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Sorry, No Photos...

chuckuindy said:
Having spent a lot of time at Playa Bayahibe I really enjoyed your photos. Just one question, where are the chica photos? Seriously, Playa Bayahibe, is only 1 1/2hrs. from the Capital and is a wonderful spot. Small and laid-back it has a great public beach, good restaurants, and access to La Romana and Higuey.

Chuckuindy
I go to the DR for the beauty and music of the island, not to hook-up.

-Helpmann :laugh:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
helpmann said:
I go to the DR for the beauty and music of the island, not to hook-up.

-Helpmann :laugh:

I go to the DR for the beauty and music of the island, and to hook-up.

Thanks for the feedback. It is just a little too far from the Capital for a person without a car. I was looking for a quiet beach not too far from the Capital that can be reached by public transpo. Something other than Boca Chica.

MizCreant

Jul 6, 2006
Helpmann Photos

Great photos! I'm now convinced that our choice of the Dominican Republic is the correct one. This winter, when I'm cold and it's snowing, I will return to the photos to remind me that we'll be there in January.

Many thanks,
Miz

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Great pictures. I too love this spot but havent spent a lot of time there. DR is definatelt a place to enjoy the scenery and music (and Presidente) ONLY...not worth the other BS and we dont want to bring back any "souvenirs" from our island vacation ;) !

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
The Bayahibe area is so far the only place in the DR that I have explored. There are a bunch of eating places in the town, not just vendors on the beach. You could easily spend a day snorkeling from the public beach walking around town, eating, drinking, meeting the people... If you choose to stay there for a few days, it's a great launching area for activities in the area like caves and the National Park and the local cities mentioned and the islands off the coast. Beautiful waters!

Kaki