car in the DR coming to US

Jul 18, 2006
ok here it is. my father died in 1994 he is a dominican citizen. any way i wanted his 1963 rambler i aranged for shipping through antillean marine got it to the port
loaded it to a container but customs wouldnt release it. they want proof of tax paid when it came to the DR in 1965 wich i dont have obviously. it has sat in the customs lot for almost a year and a half with no resolution. any advice would be welcome on what to do. i offered to pay the tax on it still no go. i have a lawyer but he is usless and could not resolve this matter.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
12701270 said:
ok here it is. my father died in 1994 he is a dominican citizen. any way i wanted his 1963 rambler i aranged for shipping through antillean marine got it to the port
loaded it to a container but customs wouldnt release it. they want proof of tax paid when it came to the DR in 1965 wich i dont have obviously. it has sat in the customs lot for almost a year and a half with no resolution. any advice would be welcome on what to do. i offered to pay the tax on it still no go. i have a lawyer but he is usless and could not resolve this matter.

You probably missed paying somebody off. Now you have to take the case to higher-ups, which means more cost, in time and money.

Jul 18, 2006
Mirador said:
You probably missed paying somebody off. Now you have to take the case to higher-ups, which means more cost, in time and money.
i know i told the atty to bribe the customs guy cause thats what antillean told me to do. he said no he has ways around that. a year and a half later i still dont have my car belive me i have gone higher up US consulate santo domingo dept of customs. im totaly lost now

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
get rid of your attorney, and do the bribing yourself. Go ahead, as the official who is holding back your car, how much it will take... Don't worry, bribing is not a crime in the DR, it's a way of life.

elchino

Jul 7, 2006
Corruption, bribing is bad advice, don't do it.

Mirador said:
get rid of your attorney, and do the bribing yourself. Go ahead, as the official who is holding back your car, how much it will take... Don't worry, bribing is not a crime in the DR, it's a way of life.

The attorney is part of the problem, if he took your money and didn't do anything for, file a complaint with Colegio De Abogado Dominicano (CARD).

# 2 you said that you are willing to pay the taxes, if possible just pay it.

# 3 I don't know about the specific law is Santo Domingo, Rep. Dom. but after certain amount of years classic/ antique cars do not pay taxes.

# 4 when your father brought the car to DR he paid taxes so perhaps thats all the proof you need.

Finally, about the lawyer, it will cost you RD$500 to file una querella, make sure he misrepresented you or that he didn't do what you contracted him to do. El CARD is also corrupted and might rule in his (the Attorney) favor. However you can always appeal to the higher Court.

This I know because I have a case against an Attorney que me robo US$2000, currently pending en la Corte Suprema. Los abogados Dominicanos estan como chivos sin ley.

Good luck- my friend

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Just curious. If and when you get this all straightened out on the Dominican end, have you made sure that you won't have any problems reimporting and registering the car on the US end, i.e., meeting EPA emissions standards or DOT safety standards, etc?

elchino

Jul 7, 2006
As an antique car those rules do not apply

HOWMAR said:
Just curious. If and when you get this all straightened out on the Dominican end, have you made sure that you won't have any problems reimporting and registering the car on the US end, i.e., meeting EPA emissions standards or DOT safety standards, etc?

The grandfather clause will basically exempt this car from any regulation established after the car was manufactured-in 1963.This car is an antique!

(Mirador just try to talk the Mr. Cocco, if he is still in charge and asking to sign a waiver to release the car.:bunny: )

P.S. Bribing is only contributing the the issue of corruption, we as Dominicans should be part of the corruption solution, not part of the corruption problem:

WE MUST STOP CORRUPTION BY WHATEVER MEANS NECESSARY.:surprised

Jul 18, 2006
is there any one in satiago that wants to take this task on. i will pay you for your time and effort. i just want to get it resolved. im in the us and dont have the ability to travel to solve it. and i need somone on that end to handle it. the car is in puerta plata in the customs lot i will provide all the details