Will it be safe arriving after dark?

miriam888

Jul 16, 2006
If we have to take the 4:00 bus into Las Galeras which means it will be dark when we arrive, will it be safe and easy to find a taxi to take us to Ron & Karin's place? We really want to get to Las Galeras, but are debating the safety issue of it being dark and not knowing anything about our surroundings, or would you recommend staying in Santo Domingo. We are coming back to spend the last day there (SD) so we are not by passing it by any means, just want to get to Las Galeras as soon as possible.
Thank you all for all your help!!!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
OK, that is the same thing I did. When we got to Samana we ended up paying 400 pesos for a cream colored tourist van. Just us two.

Of course, on the way back after a couple of days in Las Galeras, we had the same van and driver and 14 people and it cost us 100 pesos.

The town of Las Galeras is a bit of a ride, 45 minutes I would guess.

It is a very small town. We arrived midafternoon and my driver knew where to bring us--we were staying at Las Mariposas.

Where are you going? A hotel? They'll know it. The town is small enough to know everything.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IF you get to Santo domingo in time to get a bus to Samana, you won't have to worry about getting to Las Galeras...and the time of day won't be a problem either. I consider the whole peninsula to be among the nicest, safest, most people friendly place in the DR....

Go and have fun!!

HB :D:D

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
To Karin and Ron's

Just in case your taxi driver from Samana doesn't know Karin and Ron's place and you need directions. Turn right at the main cross roads in Las Galeras past the resort and onto the rotten gravel road. After a few more minutes bumping around it's on the right and the sign for La Rancheta Restaurant may be (was in Feb) more prominent than that for the bungalows. (BTW the first two people we asked didn't know the name Ron or Karin -- but when we mentioned los caballos - "Ah Si!")