First time in DR

scotguy

Jul 28, 2006
Hi all,
Just returned from my first trip to DR all the way from Edinburgh, Scotland, (took teenage daughter and my son)was at Playa Dorada I thought it was a great holiday but left me wondering about a few things, firstly resorts are very expensive places! I had wanted to escape and mingle with the locals in the nearest town but everyone warned me not to even try that! I had wanted to take a taxi or local bus but all said I should take a guide , anyway I never ventured out of the resort apart from the jungle treks and scuba trips etc.
Was this advise just crap???
Also I had some vague idea I could maybe meet some nice local girl (s) but on the resort all mainly families so no luck there, I am divorced so I was not "cheating".

I would like to go back again in Dec but do not want to be imprisoned again, any views on better /different resorts and which cites/towns are good to travel to.
Of course it would be nice to meet up with some of those lovley DR girls, ideas ??
Just hoping to make DR more interesting this time.
Thanks for reading

Alex

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Alex dude!!

Sorry to inform you it was all CRAPPPOOOO!! OUII it stinks to he!!.......:p

Now, here is what you do. talk to some of the people on this board, ask about just where there are some Guest Friendly accomodations that are reasonably priced....in POP or Sosua...

You can take local transportation all over the place for RD$20 pesos or RD$10 pesos.....maybe RD$100 for a taxi ride around town...

The people here are friendly. Belive me. A guy from GB was sitting in a small outdoor place, having a beer. A nice looking woman come out of a beauty salon, crosses the street and sits down....kinda normal if you don't have two heads or are really ugly....

that said, you always wear protection...just to be safe....

If you golf (I am presuming that as a Scotsman you do), bring your sticks for a round or two...some very fine venues here.

See you free of AIs in December....

HB :D:D

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
scotguy said:
I would like to go back again in Dec but do not want to be imprisoned again, any views on better /different resorts and which cites/towns are good to travel to.
Of course it would be nice to meet up with some of those lovley DR girls, ideas ??
Just hoping to make DR more interesting this time.
Thanks for reading

Alex

Will you be going with or without the kids?

scotguy

Jul 28, 2006
Ta

Thanks for tips, it is hard being a virgin you know!
Golf courses look great but too expensive and we are a hard bunch we never use caddies! I teach a bit golf out here and golf is quite cheap here in Scotland but the women don't look hot, dilema.. golf or girls... I'll take the girls, golf can wait till I'm old.
I will probably have to take another "all inclusive" as they are such good deals and I cant put a package together as cheaply.
Heard Punta Cana is the best bit to go??
I love the looks of the girls, curvy too :) not all fat and lumpy like here!

Regards,

Alex

scotguy

Jul 28, 2006
I'll go with my kids,my eldest girl is 19 and she also helps look after my boy (10) so I can have some freedom she knows I hope to meet up with someone, so no secrets..
Any ideas ??
Thanks

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Hi Alex,
I took my son hes almost 12 to Sosua last month, I heard what some people (mainly travel reps!) saying it wasnt a good idea to go outside the resort. Being bl***y minded and having heard conflicting reports I didnt listen and spent quite alot of time in Sosua. I feel that if i had stayed in the resort i would have majorly missed out, I made some great friends the dominican people are great and had a fantastic holiday.
That said my son was quite wary when he ventured out with me although I think as much as anything he wanted to stay in the hotel and be with his friends as there was so much fdor him to do. Im in the process of planning my next 2 visits 1 with him and 1 without, when we both go out next year we'll stay in the ai most probably but when i go out there on my own (yeah!!) i'll definatly be staying somewhere else.(sorry it was long winded i go on alot!)

Nic

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
I love the looks of the girls, curvy too not all fat and lumpy like here!

Im not so sure I should have helped you out now we arent all fat and lumpy in the UK!! (lol) If its the women you're interested in have fun reading some of the other posts in this section!

Nic

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do not think you will find any girls at Punta Cana AIs either....they are all out in the middle of nowhere!!
Golf is dirt cheap here if you know the right people. Even for a first time visitor you can get a round with cart for $30 or so,. Caddies are not mandetory at many courses, just in the tourist traps like Playa Dorada!!

there are other threads here that will tell you that you can get €75-€80 seats on charters to POP, if you are flexible. With taxes they come to €120 or so...maybe a tad more...

Look into that.

Also, the kids will enjoy getting out more. There is a lot more to do than just sit around a hotel pool...

HB :D:D

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
scotguy said:
I'll go with my kids,my eldest girl is 19 and she also helps look after my boy (10) so I can have some freedom she knows I hope to meet up with someone, so no secrets..
Any ideas ??
Thanks

Keep reading and you'll discover that you will never meet a decent local while on holidays and certainly not in a resort. Step one foot out of a resort and you'll need experience to know that what you might find are not what you may want the kids to know about;)

The local women that aren't in that kind of business will be harder to find because they are not interested in someone that is there for a week. So it all depends what it is you are looking for.

If it's for a future relationship then you need to spend a lot of time outside the resort, if it's a holiday thingy you can find that very easy. ;)

I don't think there's much in Punta Cana except the beautiful resorts.

scotguy

Jul 28, 2006
Thanks to all for the info, girls are not that important, just wishful thinking :) having good time and meeting some new mates is it.
I am also looking out for the country I shall move to after my boy finishes school, so I have a few yrs to go yet :)
I will also need to get an idea of the business culture as I will be setting up some small enterprise to keep myself going, trust and intergrity is not going to be easy to find I guess ?????

Regards to all

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will also need to get an idea of the business culture as I will be setting up some small enterprise to keep myself going, trust and intergrity is not going to be easy to find I guess ????

Sort of depends on who you team up with. there are some very fine people that can help you do what you want to, within reason. If you go the "know-it-all" route, you will pay substantially more, I think...

Anyway, do come back to the North Coast, not All-inclusive, move about, meet a few of the denizens around here. form a few opinions, get a feel for the business culture here. and off you go!!

HB:D:D

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
scotguy said:
Thanks to all for the info, girls are not that important, just wishful thinking :) having good time and meeting some new mates is it.
I am also looking out for the country I shall move to after my boy finishes school, so I have a few yrs to go yet :)
I will also need to get an idea of the business culture as I will be setting up some small enterprise to keep myself going, trust and intergrity is not going to be easy to find I guess ?????

Regards to all

Good luck to you.

Please read the living and business section to get ideas on the business culture and spending the time in DR will be the best teacher.

KateMNDR

Jan 12, 2006
if you haven't already...

scotguy said:
I'll go with my kids,my eldest girl is 19
Thanks

Scotguy,
For your daughter's sake you should check out the sankie 101 forum and fill her in. You will get the best education there that money can't buy!

I agree with eveyone who said get out of the AI's. And it's true that there's not much else IN Punta Cana...I love the north coast. Your daughter would probably love Cabarete, and you would probably enjoy Sosua.

As for safety...I always go with a few other girls and so far just practicing common sense has kept us safe there! IMO your biggest worry is getting pickpocketed or scammed. One example: there's ONE stoplight in Sosua where the police hang out and pull over tourists on motos with no helmets. They tried to get a $50 "fine" out of me; I think the real fine is more like 50 pesos. Also, be careful who you exchange money for pesos with; and always count it. Things like that.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i would suggest 2 AI's in sosua for kids, sosua bay and casa marina...sosua bay has the beach right out the back door of the hotel and nightlife a block or two from the hotel. the kids (both) would enjoy the beach and the vendors on the beach. you can make a quick getaway at night for a little excitement. casa marina in my opinion would be most enjoyed by your 10 yr old. lots of daytime activities for kids and a private beach which is nice. you can walk to the nightlife but i would suggest a motoconcho.

the rooms are better at casa marina but sosua bay has the best food for an AI. neither hotel is guest friendly.

good luck...