Babalu's Toronto

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
I have heard of this Latin club in Toronto. There's not much to be read on it. Has anyone been there, any feedback.

Thanks

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Yea

audrav said:
I have heard of this Latin club in Toronto. There's not much to be read on it. Has anyone been there, any feedback.

Thanks
That's where many 'addicts' go to get their sankie fix .... lots of sankies around :laugh:

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
shadInToronto said:
That's where many 'addicts' go to get their sankie fix .... lots of sankies around :laugh:

Are you serious? I thought it was a more mature crowd, but then again, what difference does that make?

Have you been there? Honestly, I'd like to hear more about it, a group of us were planning on going this weekend. At least I'm all brushed up on Sankie 101!;)

Sylvester

Jan 19, 2004
audrav said:

Thanks

Nice basement club in the Yorkville district, $14 cover charge. Somewhat small club, but not tiny. You can go for dinner, food is ok, but not worth what they charge but hey, its Yorkville, you have to pay.

Mostly salsa is played, but they do mix in a little merengue, bachata, reggaeton, etc. Mostly a mature clientele, mostly over 25 I would say. I have seen many middleaged couples enjoying themselves there. I believe its tuesday nights a Colombian fellow teaches Salsa classes there.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
Sylvester said:
Nice basement club in the Yorkville district, $14 cover charge. Somewhat small club, but not tiny. You can go for dinner, food is ok, but not worth what they charge but hey, its Yorkville, you have to pay.

Mostly salsa is played, but they do mix in a little merengue, bachata, reggaeton, etc. Mostly a mature clientele, mostly over 25 I would say. I have seen many middleaged couples enjoying themselves there. I believe its tuesday nights a Colombian fellow teaches Salsa classes there.

Thanks for the information, we were looking at Saturday night and don't like going to clubs where there are a lot of kids.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
My take-

Babalu is not a club. It's a restaurant/bar and they move the tables for dancing before 11PM to create space.

The crowd is very snobby and may be perceived as not friendly depending on what you are used to. However, extremely mature and clean cut. The music is usually good although predominantly salsa but they do mix it up nicely when they play other types of music.

If I had more patience with the Toronto Latin scene I would probably go out more in Toronto but I have other cities to compare it to and it's not happening.

You need to go for yourself and see. Be prepared to line up. Do enjoy!

-LDG.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Is nice

Is a nice classic club, size ? small price for drink are fair for the location about sankies I wont be worried not matter what club you go, always you will find one and doesnt have to be Dominican to put it clear.

This place play more salsa than any other type of music.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Revolution here in Waterloo on Thursday nights isn't bad. Latin Night, free entry and they dance lessons...

My favourite is Fregata (polish disco) in Mississauga on Thursday nights. Latin night with a free buffet !!! a lot of hispanics and polish people... weird mix, but hey it's good !

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
A couple of great spots for latin dance in Toronto is Alleycatz on Yonge St. north of Eglinton Ave. There night is Monday's with salsa lessons from 8-9 then dj plays a variety of salsa and merengue. Cover is $5. Mature crowd serious about salsa, not a pick up joint. Another club just down the street called Berlins has salsa night on Tuesday's and ladies are free.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
curlyq said:
A couple of great spots for latin dance in Toronto is Alleycatz on Yonge St. north of Eglinton Ave. There night is Monday's with salsa lessons from 8-9 then dj plays a variety of salsa and merengue. Cover is $5. Mature crowd serious about salsa, not a pick up joint. Another club just down the street called Berlins has salsa night on Tuesday's and ladies are free.

Isn't berlins closed?

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Babalu not my favourtie place too small entrance fee to high for such a small place and it's just not my crowd. But really you'd have to try it at least once to see if it's your kind of club everyone has there own taste. Plus always a line up I dont' bother with clubs that have line ups.

Berlin opened recently with a new name but sorry can't remember the name.

I've been trying to find a good spot but nothing yet. I'm starting to understand LesleyD Toronto is tought to find a good club.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
Music said:
Babalu not my favourtie place too small entrance fee to high for such a small place and it's just not my crowd. But really you'd have to try it at least once to see if it's your kind of club everyone has there own taste. Plus always a line up I dont' bother with clubs that have line ups.

Berlin opened recently with a new name but sorry can't remember the name.

I've been trying to find a good spot but nothing yet. I'm starting to understand LesleyD Toronto is tought to find a good club.

Tell me about it.

I was at easy on the 5th 2 weeks ago, wasn't too bad. What about the place on College St the Flamingo (I think?)

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I'm not sure where you live in Toronto, but there are lots of latin clubs in the downtown and suburban areas. Others are clubs with specific nights.
Few examples:

Wednesday nights: Latin Heat Wednesdays at On the Curve in Mississauga
I find it to be a classy location. Mature crowd in the earlier evening (10 PM - midnight) Lots of salsa, bachata, some merengue. It is a restaurant with a stage and small wooden dancefloor. Very diverse, mixed crowd. See http://www.hiprestaurants.com/curve/index.html

El Magnate - Jane Street area south of Wilson - younger crowd, but they play lots of merengue, tipiko, bachata and some salsa. They also serve BRUGAL!! 31 Beverley Hills Drive. 416-820-3818 I believe one of the owners is Dominican. There are lots of Dominicans there!

Latin Fever - Jane and Hwy 7. Not as busy as some clubs, but you can get your merengue and bachata/salsa fix there as well. They also serve Brugal.

Fregata in Mississauga - as mentioned in a previous post.

Salsa Tropical - Nelson St. in Brampton - I've never been, but I hear it's nice.

Lula Lounge - http://www.lula.ca/ Dundas and Dufferin street. Very Salsa focused - they play a lot of Cuban salsa. This club has an enormous dancefloor and lots of seating - mature crowd.

Cervejaria - Dundas near Ossington. A Portuguese bar that has salsa nights every Friday. Good food too.

Also see http://www.tosalsa.com/ This site has an extensive club listing that is still not all inclusive. Toronto has many many places!

Good luck!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I'm not a Plaza Flamingo fan, it's a younger crowd if you like that. There dance floor freaks me out lol

The best time I ever had was a few years back at Las Brisas I was there every week the crowd was fun and music great by DJ Cana Dulce my favourite!! But those days are long gone as the club hasn't been good for a while now and some new owner as well.

I've been to El Magnate still new but I think it could have potential. I'll have to try it out again!

I'm still on the search lol When I find one I'll let you know :)

audrav said:
Tell me about it.

I was at easy on the 5th 2 weeks ago, wasn't too bad. What about the place on College St the Flamingo (I think?)

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
nikke said:
I'm not sure where you live in Toronto, but there are lots of latin clubs in the downtown and suburban areas. Others are clubs with specific nights.
Few examples:

Wednesday nights: Latin Heat Wednesdays at On the Curve in Mississauga
I find it to be a classy location. Mature crowd in the earlier evening (10 PM - midnight) Lots of salsa, bachata, some merengue. It is a restaurant with a stage and small wooden dancefloor. Very diverse, mixed crowd. See http://www.hiprestaurants.com/curve/index.html

El Magnate - Jane Street area south of Wilson - younger crowd, but they play lots of merengue, tipiko, bachata and some salsa. They also serve BRUGAL!! 31 Beverley Hills Drive. 416-820-3818 I believe one of the owners is Dominican. There are lots of Dominicans there!

Latin Fever - Jane and Hwy 7. Not as busy as some clubs, but you can get your merengue and bachata/salsa fix there as well. They also serve Brugal.

Fregata in Mississauga - as mentioned in a previous post.

Salsa Tropical - Nelson St. in Brampton - I've never been, but I hear it's nice.

Lula Lounge - http://www.lula.ca/ Dundas and Dufferin street. Very Salsa focused - they play a lot of Cuban salsa. This club has an enormous dancefloor and lots of seating - mature crowd.

Cervejaria - Dundas near Ossington. A Portuguese bar that has salsa nights every Friday. Good food too.

Also see http://www.tosalsa.com/ This site has an extensive club listing that is still not all inclusive. Toronto has many many places!

Good luck!

I've heard of many of these, a lot younger crowds, I've been to some. There has been shootings at the Jane and 7 club. Jane and Wilson (scary area).:eek:

Thanks for link! Good info!!

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Berlins re-opened, it is also know by the new name of "6 degrees", but they still call it Berlin Tuesdays. Big sign outside, cant' miss it.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
audrav said:
I've heard of many of these, a lot younger crowds, I've been to some. There has been shootings at the Jane and 7 club. Jane and Wilson (scary area).:eek:

Thanks for link! Good info!!

I agree that Jane and 7 and Jane and Wilson are scarier areas, but I've been to El Magnate quite often in the last month or so and they have a really good security system. I feel quite safe there. Unfortunately that area gets a lot of bad press, but I cannot stop going out in Toronto. That means that the bad guys win! I find that if I go someplace and I don't feel safe, I leave and I haven't had that feeling in either club recently.

Unfortunately these areas are close to the major concentration of latinos in Toronto. I feel safer at El Magnate. It's more open, there are many exits and security appears to be more organized. I have not seen any out of control fighting there and I think they make security a priority.

I can't say the same for Latin Fever - it is not my location of choice, but I had to visit last week to see Toronto's bachatero - Alex Bello. He had a brief performance there and it was great - it's too bad that the attendance was low!

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
How about Privileges. Alex Bello was there when a friend of mine went. How is the palce. Does anyone know? Has anyone been?