New car

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The answer is that it is possible. The advice is do not do it. Do not even contemplate doing it. The reason is that customs set fees as they feel like and if you complain, they increase those fees. Buy here locally and you avoid a whole bag ful of problems.

The way to do it however, is to get a Dominican Auto business to import the car for you. Your rates will be much lower ... that is if you have real good relationships with the Dominican Auto Business.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
New car, don't think so.

The information PJT is aware of, is a privately owned car can be imported after it has been documented (registered) in the name of the owner for one full year outside the country. So, for instance you purchase and register a 2006 model this month in your name in the U.S. you will be able to export it to the D.R. in July next year.

The law protects Dominican car dealers from overseas competition within the new car market.

Also, a car older than five years, older than the 2001 model year, cannot be imported into the D.R.

Taxes are any guess as Customs will tax at any rate they see fit for the day.
If you do import make sure that the title for the vehicle is clean and in your name, the shipper. You must have title to the car, not the bank or loan company. The clean title is surrendered at the U.S. port of export to verify ownership of the vehicle it is matched with the authorization granted by the accompanying export documentation. Make sure you ship via a very reputable ocean freight broker.

At the dominican end of the car will be held at the port for processing. Import taxes and car registration fees and taxes must be paid before it is released. Storage of the car at the port impound must be paid also.

Regards,
PJT

JOKL

Oct 30, 2006
A technical note. In RD a used car never have the miles that it shows.Over there is a common practice to "Roll Back" the odometer in order to sell it more expensive. this practice in US can land a Dealer in Jail but in DR not. New cars cost almost 2 and a half the price than in US.. A Camry 2007 can cost you more than $US40,000 and is not an american version, what it mean less quality for more monies, The engines are smaller and less reliable than the american counterpart. If the car is for you and not for selling it I will buy in US and Fight the customs, a least I now what I have for my monies. The customs do all those bad thing in orther to discourage people to get something better outside DR.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have a friend that imported a year old Kia into the country. He registered it in Miami and imported it here. He saved RD$220,000 in taxes and now has to wait 6 months before he can register it here. The downside is that you cannot get full insurance until you register it here. Guess what, he hit someone and it cost him around RD$140,000. He is still ahead of the game, but one more knock and he would have been better off buying here. Plus he is a nervous wreck when he drives :)