has anybody been river rafting or tubbing in jarabacoa

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
I am going to be in Santiago for 3 day in september and I want to go to jarabacoa. maybe do a sight seeing and a little river rafting.

I want to know what is the ideal time to start one of these activities.

I will be in DR in September, would that be a good time to go river rafting or will the rivers be to low in water? how about river tubbing would that be ok?

What time should I get there, would it be better early morming or in the late morning/noon?

if you have any suggestions please post them

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
corporanr said:
I am going to be in Santiago for 3 day in september and I want to go to jarabacoa. maybe do a sight seeing and a little river rafting.

I want to know what is the ideal time to start one of these activities.

I will be in DR in September, would that be a good time to go river rafting or will the rivers be to low in water? how about river tubbing would that be ok?

What time should I get there, would it be better early morming or in the late morning/noon?

if you have any suggestions please post them

If you have a weak or not so strong immune system, I suggest taken a seven day course of antibiotics before you go tubbing down the river. It is heavily contaminated from the sewer effluents flowing into it from all the towns, villages and communities bordering the river.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
Mirador, you often show yourself to be well-informed, articulate and mature. Then you go and post something like this that shows a mean, small, miserable side. Why peee in your own swimming pool?
Nothing personal.

corporanr, the rafting trip is a total hoot... cool and refreshing, only scary after local rains...plenty of operators offer this tour, transport, lunch, etc., early morning arrival is standard. Also, in case this is your first visit to a river, do drink as little as possible.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I went on the "whitewater rafting" near Jarabacoa a few years back. Was pretty tame compared to what I am accustomed to here in the US. Nice, pretty scenery, but not much in the way of real rapids...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
drbill said:
Mirador, you often show yourself to be well-informed, articulate and mature. Then you go and post something like this that shows a mean, small, miserable side. Why peee in your own swimming pool?
Nothing personal.

Bill, would you call your doctor "mean, small, and miserable" because he points out that your appendix has to come out because it is about to burst from infection? You have to understand my side, I'm not in the tourist bu$$$iness, I'm a folk healer. I'm making a legitimate observation and warning. The river is polluted. If you don't believe me, I wager you to make a simple test (a simple pool testing kit will do), at the confluence of the rivers Jimenoa and Yaque del Norte, where the rapids begin, and you will find that coliforms count (including E. coli) is much above any acceptable standards.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
thanks

I actually appreciate Mirador's comment. My immune system is good but my skin is very sensitive I don't want to have a nasty rash for my entire vacation.

Ok. so, rafting would be a better option? less time in the water?

how about going to the falls? is that ok? my boyfriend really wants to go to one of the falls up in jarabacoa.

how are the falls of Puertoplata (damajagua) are they polluted?

Thanks for all your input.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Drbill,

I'm sorry old buddy but I must side with Mirador on this one. Having been bitten twice in 10 years and having almost died from the first experience I will always advise anyone on the side of caution in regards to having any DR river water enter your system regardless of the orafice.

Mirador did not say don't do it he only advised using caution. In a country where everyone upstream washes clothes in, urinates and defecates in, towns dump waste in and cattle forage in the streams the possibility of ingesting something that you don't want is increased. I'm not saying that the DR is the only country with this problem but while in Rome. There is a reason they say "don't drink the water"

Rick

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Mirador said:
drbill said:
Nothing personal.

Bill, would you call your doctor "mean, small, and miserable" because he points out that your appendix has to come out because it is about to burst from infection? You have to understand my side, I'm not in the tourist bu$$$iness, I'm a folk healer. I'm making a legitimate observation and warning. The river is polluted. If you don't believe me, I wager you to make a simple test (a simple pool testing kit will do), at the confluence of the rivers Jimenoa and Yaque del Norte, where the rapids begin, and you will find that coliforms count (including E. coli) is much above any acceptable standards.

I agree with you totally with the Confluenca being a unsafe area to raft or swim, although I've swam in the Jimenoa without any effects, not at the confluence. Anyone that say what goes into the river at Jarabacoa would swim in that area of the river, but most of the rafting is higher up (Manabao) and most people do not live that close to the river, so I'm thinking that it's reasonably safe, if you are above Jarabacoa.