best place to celebrate a birthday

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
My boyfriend has not been to DR in 16 years and we are going to be arriving in santiago on his birthday. The plan is to try and find the neighborhood where he grew up to see if he can recognize it or find a couple of his friends from way back when.

I want to make this birthday really special for him since I think it is going to be a little emotional for him. I was thinking of taking him to camp david since everyone says its the best spot in Santiago. I also wanted to go out to a lounge or club.

Any suggestions? I am assuming that if we find anybody he knows we will probably ask them to come along with us, but I don't want to be at the mercy of their suggestions. I rather have options and opinions of where I might want to go.

My boyfriend and I love all kinds of music. we dance to everything. we want to feel safe and don't want to stand out.

by the way. I am planning on braiding my hair because I can't manage it when I am over there. will that be a sign that I am from the US?

Jan 5, 2006
If your boyfriend does not keep in touch with someone in DR (friends or family), going back to his old neighborhood on your own may not be advisable. A lot of places have changed considerably in the past 16 years. ;)

I'm only telling you this, because I would not go back to the neighborhood where I grew up in Santo Domingo. I don't know anyone there, and it's not the safest place to be under those conditions and after so many years. :(

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
thanks to both tigre and hipocrito for your comments

tigre I looked up club zoom and it looks as if it has a cool atmosphire but the people in the club look so young. I want something more mature that maybe plays merengue and stuff. I really cant take techno all night long anymore.

Hipocrito. I know you are right about things changing but I know that some people may still be there.

I am Dominican too and when I go back to my little barrio in SD I still see some of the people I grew up with. I mean we have nothing in common anymore... but they are still there, and it is still good to see them.