Recycling in the DR?

laurel

Jan 31, 2005
Hi there,

Does anyone have information about recycling here in the DR?

I know they recycle glass bottles, but are there recycling plants on this island for things like newspaper, tin, aluminum, and plastic?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Good winds and Aloha,

Laurel

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Dioxin Fumes

laurel said:
I know they recycle glass bottles, but are there recycling plants on this island for things like newspaper, tin, aluminum, and plastic?

Even bottles are not recycled at a larger scale, if children do not collect them and sell them to traders, they just lie about.

The good news, however, is, that we have incinerating "plants". Thousands in fact, dozens in every village... :laugh:

m'frog

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Car & inverter batteries are locally picked up,cleaned & electrolyte added & used again (by Dominicans), then they are dumped 'wherever', often in the nearest creek.... Corrugated asbestos roofing 4X8 sheets are common,don't know how hazardous they are, but I think they are imported from Canada, where they are not acceptable..... Canadian Bob.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
I am the General Manager for a printing plant here. We are 100% committed to responsible recycling and this has proved to be our biggest challenge. Basically, I sort scrap paper by grade about 50K lbs a week and ship it by container all over the work based on the best price for scrap. Other materials like ink, blankets, and plates are tough to recycle. Not that we can't find interest. Getting a manifest stating how the materials were used/disposed is. All those dish TV antennas sold on the intersections are not my printing plates.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Budson said:
I am the General Manager for a printing plant here. We are 100% committed to responsible recycling and this has proved to be our biggest challenge. Basically, I sort scrap paper by grade about 50K lbs a week and ship it by container all over the work based on the best price for scrap. Other materials like ink, blankets, and plates are tough to recycle. Not that we can't find interest. Getting a manifest stating how the materials were used/disposed is. All those dish TV antennas sold on the intersections are not my printing plates.
Budson, would you be willing to write a brief "guest blog" on the challenges your business faces trying to recycle in the DR for the Green Team blog? Nothing long or fancy necessary, and if you want to submit something simple and rough I can do the "clean up" proofing/editing (subject to your approval before being posted). One of the blog entries that has drawn the most interest was one recently done by Timberland on what they're trying to do in their DR ops, you may wish to take a glance at that entry to get an idea of one way to do a submission.

I hope you'll consider it. If you have any questions/concerns, you can PM me or email at greenteam@dr1.com

Thanks,
Keith R

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Prop[erly regenerate

We own a company that properly regenerates Inverter and car batteries. As a matter of fact all Lead Acid , Gel cell and AGM Batteries making their life 2-3 times longer. We intend to greatly reduce battery dumping by entering into a program to completely recycle batteries. Currently 97% of all Lead Acid Battery Components are recyclable. Its one of the most recycled items in the world ! This beautiful country has to be cleaned up......

canadian bob said:
Car & inverter batteries are locally picked up,cleaned & electrolyte added & used again (by Dominicans), then they are dumped 'wherever', often in the nearest creek.... Corrugated asbestos roofing 4X8 sheets are common,don't know how hazardous they are, but I think they are imported from Canada, where they are not acceptable..... Canadian Bob.

alana

Sep 13, 2006
Even bottles are not recycled at a larger scale, if children do not collect them and sell them to traders, they just lie about.

The good news, however, is, that we have incinerating "plants". Thousands in fact, dozens in every village... :laugh:

m'frog

Hola
can you share more about incinerating "plants" What do they burn?
Alana

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
mountainfrog, you're incorrigable (sp).

There is a fair amount of 'burning on the backroads' of everything. Every little village has a place where they burn their garbage. These are not plants, these are just spots to burn stuff.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
There is ONE incinerating plant in the DR that does things properly. Just one. Somewhere on the outskirts of Santo domingo on Carretera Duarte, but they pick up too. (but no, I can't recall their name right now or find their card) .

Hazardous waste disposal by burning, with all emission controls, etc in place, and a certificate issued upon completion. And what a bitc^ it was to fight against the bureacracry and Aduanas just to get to use it.

We operate in a Free Zone. I had 12 drums of accumulated "bad stuff" that the only acceptable method of disposal is burning. Of course, most other people would just add this stuff to the dumpster, and off it would go to the landfill with the rest of the trash. I didn't want the vision of barefoot children walking through and scavenging this stuff, and then having bad things happen to them later, so I wanted to use the incinerator and do things properly.

Oh my God. you wouldn't believe the crap to go through. First, the head of Customs told me that I had to pay 6 inspectors from Aduanas to come to our Free Zone and then ride to the incinerator with the stuff to be burned. All paperwork for the material should be available for inspection. Facturas as well.

I would have to pay their cab fare (both ways), as well as their dieta of RD$500 per person per day, with 2 days for the work. Just to burn friggin garbage! This was in May 2004. I told him to go soak his head, and I would wait for the PLD guys to show up in August, after they sacked his rear end. That at least made some folks in his office smile.

In September, I went to the new guy. I would have to pay one guy to ride along for the burn. $200. No other requirements. MSDS's for the incinerator guy, nothing more. Plus more than $90,000 for the 12 drums to do the burn the "right" way. How easy can it get? And I can sleep at night knowing it had been done as it should have been done.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
mountainfrog, you're incorrigable (sp).

There is a fair amount of 'burning on the backroads' of everything. Every little village has a place where they burn their garbage. These are not plants, these are just spots to burn stuff.

As a matter of fact, we did a Green Team blog piece ("Smoke Signals") on this very issue the past spring. Read it at this link.

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
Recycling?

Does anyone know if they do actually recycle around sosua/cab?

I was at the Playero recently at their 'back' warehouse and the Pepsi guy was there. He took back a number of bottles (counted them even), but when I started asking questions, all I got was a "no se, no se" from the three guys standing around, looking at me like I was crazy. If I hadn't been waiting for something for 30 minutes already and just shown a glimmer of hope by the manager of the warehouse, I would have chased the Pepsi truck down to ask him.....

Plastic, paper, glass, organic, I'll recycle, just show me where!

anyone??

cbelle

Sep 27, 2009
more information please

There is ONE incinerating plant in the DR that does things properly. Just one. Somewhere on the outskirts of Santo domingo on Carretera Duarte, but they pick up too. (but no, I can't recall their name right now or find their card) .

In September, I went to the new guy. I would have to pay one guy to ride along for the burn. $200. No other requirements. MSDS's for the incinerator guy, nothing more. Plus more than $90,000 for the 12 drums to do the burn the "right" way. How easy can it get? And I can sleep at night knowing it had been done as it should have been done.

Hello Gringo Carlos and DR1

I am doing research and writing a thesis on recycling and waste management in the Dominican Republic. Is there any way you could find the name of the company or the address so I can do further investigations on the company and recycling.

SO is the consensus that there is no recycling system in the Dominican Republic besides the man who pick up the bottles from the trash? Any information and insight would be extremely helpful

thanks
cbelle

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
cbelle, for one recycling initiative that has been going for some time in the DR you could contact the Punta Cana Ecological Foundation.
PUNTACANA Ecological Foundation

Recycling started with the PC airport and hotel waste and was recently extended to the school and residential areas.

We are segregating our household waste into (a) organic, paper, (b) PET, cardboard, glass and (c) non-recyclables. We have three bins to deposit it in. So far I'm not sure that many people are taking part, so the ecological foundation people need to do some follow-up/outreach work to get everyone motivated.

In our case it was preaching to the converted as one of the reasons we chose to live here in Punta Cana was the chance to live a "greener" lifestyle. :)

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
What about reuse and reduce?

I don't know if your thesis is strictly about recycling, as in collecting items to be reprocessed. Would you be looking into the other two "r's", reuse and reduce? And what about just straight-up waste management? Rural or urban?

If so, I think you should really consider the informal and formal ways that people reuse things, or extend their life by giving them other purposes or fixing to make them last the longest possible. In other countries, when a an item breaks (like a shoe, fan, plastic chair, backpack, etc.), it gets tossed because it's "easier" or preferred to replace it. With the economic situation here and the higher cost of imported goods, people would rather pay 20 pesos to get the heel on their shoe repaired or sew the leg back onto the chair with metal wire. Paint can = flowerpot. Even if these things get tossed, they get scavenged by people who fix them to reuse themselves or sell.

There are people dedicated to scavenging things like scrap metal, big plastic jugs, and anything else that could be reused out of the trash in front of homes, businesses and the dumps. Very little with any life left in it gets tossed. I think dumpster diving in the U.S. is great, but here you won't be finding any treasures, that's for sure. I also think freecycle.org is awesome, but look and you won't find much activity in this country.

Some people make recycling their small business, and have flatbed trucks and drive around announcing that they will buy old radiators, metal scraps, batteries, fridges, motorcycle parts, etc. that people have rusting away in the yard. There are also guys that walk around with megaphones announcing they buy pieces of used gold from broken jewelry or whatever, and they then go and sell it to be made into something else. Places even exist that buy OLD mattresses, no matter how nasty, and use the springs/wood but put new fabric and padding on them to re-sell.

So, in my opinion, in a developing country such as the DR where many institutions have trouble functioning, something like large-scale recycling that requires a certain level of structure and organization is not common or an easy sell...unless it has clear and immediate economic benefits. I am talking about national, provincial and municipal institutions. In this situation, look to the role of smaller-scale reducing, reusing and recycling being done by individuals motivated by economic gain and necessity rather than pure goodwill toward the environment.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That reminds me - there's a vast metal recycling sector, much of it stolen from public and private buildings and installations - one of the DR's main exports is copper but the country doesn't actually have copper mines.

paolaeli

Sep 28, 2009
there is no recycling system here in dominican republic. the locals that collect the bottles they get paid and some use the money to sustain their families or drugs. but the famous invernaderos ( the garbage pile you see they burn) is very contaminating. have you heard of "rafey" the smoke is dense there the people in that village often protest about it and get sick over it. so many thing you see in those garbage waste. a lot of kids go there to collect items of use especially Haitians kids living illegal here in the country.
it really sad to se this but this government does not care at all if it doesn't get any benefits for it then is not important

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all DR companies producing alcohol have their recycling plants. they buy their own bottles off big sellers who get them from those dudes scavenging garbage. damaged bottles are crushed and sold to a company in SD that recycles glass. good bottles are washed and re-used. caps and lids are also recycled.

cbelle

Sep 27, 2009
thanks everyone I am going to look further into the punta cana group as well as making changes on the local level versus the national level because of all the corruption with in the institutions in the country. Also talking to alcohol companies might be a good start.

I am really excited about this research and hope that my findings can make a difference in Dominican Republic because there is too much contamination in such a beautiful country.