BETTER deals to be had than this or NOT?

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
My hubby and I will be traveling into the DR (Punta Cana) mid Dec.

Currently we could do $551 per person RT for the air thats $1102 + our hotel its $1268. (this covers the both of us)

But my question is....does anyone consider $1268 for a 4 night all-inclusive stay including RT air out of CLEVELAND, at the Barcelo Bavaro Caribe Resort in mid-December TOO MUCH for that resort and stay in general???

I really don't know how good or bad this resort is. We've stayed at what is now the Palladium, 4 years ago, for comparison and we loved it.

Our dates are locked for the resort as it was a special non-refundable promo through Barcelo. This is for the resort part only, not the air though (which we have not booked yet)

BUT...in all honesty, are there better deals to be had, better resort and air packages, if we scratch the hotel, or am I being overly picky???

Really need some guidance...

Last edited:

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
tvldeals said:
My hubby and I will be traveling into the DR (Punta Cana) mid Dec.

Currently we could do $551 per person RT for the air thats $1102 + our hotel its $1268. (this covers the both of us)

But my question is....does anyone consider $1268 for a 4 night all-inclusive stay including RT air out of CLEVELAND, at the Barcelo Bavaro Caribe Resort in mid-December TOO MUCH for that resort and stay in general???

I really don't know how good or bad this resort is. We've stayed at what is now the Palladium, 4 years ago, for comparison and we loved it.

Our dates are locked for the resort as it was a special non-refundable promo through Barcelo. This is for the resort part only, not the air though (which we have not booked yet)

BUT...in all honesty, are there better deals to be had, better resort and air packages, if we scratch the hotel, or am I being overly picky???

Really need some guidance...

I think its high, but you are only staying 4 days, that's why. Last minute booking would save you money and get a better resort.

BTW, does that include tax?

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
Yes that price includes all taxes and fees.....for a total of $1268 :0(

Breakdown would be $166 for the resort (again included all tax & fees)
Airfare (should we choose the option mentioned) $551 x 2

So again total is $1268...

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
That's a little steep because you are only staying four days. One could pay the same price for an eight day visit. If you book a package deal last minute you can get a much better price and have more options to choose from. Do some research now and see what kind of prices you get.

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
I know that's my concern as well, however we can only go for 4 nites at that time and while the $166 for 2 adults TOTAL, at an all inclusive (unless this resort is really subpar) seems like a steal, if the air is a high it kinda makes the said DEAL at the resort, not seem so great.

What to do what to do....the date is the 18th of December , so maybe its going to be high then anyhow....

marktheboilerman

Jul 9, 2006
I got airfare/all-inclusive occidental grand flamenco for 8 nights mid-december from Akron/Canton (which was about $80 more pp than CLE) on Hotwire.com for 2 for a total of $2200 including insurance and tax.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
tvldeals said:
I know that's my concern as well, however we can only go for 4 nites at that time and while the $166 for 2 adults TOTAL, at an all inclusive (unless this resort is really subpar) seems like a steal, if the air is a high it kinda makes the said DEAL at the resort, not seem so great.

What to do what to do....the date is the 18th of December , so maybe its going to be high then anyhow....

The price is higher because of the shorter stay, the resort will lose 3 days of a full week booking, therefore you pay for it. I don't think the flight portion will go down.

The 18th of December is the start of the holiday high season. People tend to go away for Christmas and New Years, so the prices start to go up. One of the cheapest weeks to go away is the first week of December. The resort is not a 4 star its a 3 if that. It doesn't matter where you stay in PC, the beach and the fact that you are away in winter is worth it. If you were only able to stay 4 nights, perhaps you should have looked at Bahama last minute.

When the star rankings for hotels are handed out, it is usually one higher than deserved.

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
Hi Audray and the rest....yes I can surely see its the FLIGHT thats killing me on this one.. drats and double drats!!!!!!

Those last minute deals / options, changing hotel and all, might be worth it but I can imagine the time of year right before the holiday is the double edge sword we'll be dealing with on this one....

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If you wait for a last minute deal you may not find a flight at all. That time of the year is extremely busy down there...

I'm trying to find a flight out of Detroit and all I'm finding are about 700 USD / person, and that's without a hotel.

Last edited:

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
oh wow suarezn, thats worse than I am seeing here!!

2 weeks ago it was a lot lower, $466 RT from my home airport and silly me decided to wait for an even better deal than that....! Now I ask myself....what was I even thinking ????!!! :0(

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
OK....we bit the bullet....ending up paying $577 RT for the air (wife and I) but it's out of our hometowm airport CAK instead of the hour drive it would have been to the CLE airport. There was only a $54 difference and at this point I have not seen the air come down for the CAK connection, in fact the leg coming back went up $30. That was since yesterday. So figured if I was going to do this I better do it now. The availability was starting to diminish as well.

In fact CAK (Canton-Akron) departures to Punta never went below $540 RT anyhow including taxes and fees. It was the CLE connections that was always coming up a better price, but right now they are about the same.

Considernig the state of normal Cleveland winter weather overall and the airport being near the lakefront, those storms might have had a way of causing delays and of course by using our local airport, we can avoid parking fees, by not having to leave our car there and of course.

Also with being further away from the lakefront, less chance for weather delays.

So as you can see I am trying to justify and make myself feel better about paying the higher fee... LOL

But there were some advantages to it I guess.

I just hope the hotel won't be a disappointment for this money LOL

Anyone have any words of wisdom on that????

tvldeals

Jul 15, 2006
Unbelievable! I just booked that flight only a couple of hours ago and low and behold the air is now $266 MORE for the same one!

Whew....I would have passed on that.....

Maybe I do feel lucky NOW... LOL