calling cards vs cell phone?

loves2run

Aug 1, 2006
Hi! Not sure if I'm posting this is the right topic. Please do excuse me if that's the case. I was wondering what calling cards are best in punta cana considering I will be vacationing there this week. Am I better off purchasing it here in the states or will there be ones easy to find when I arrive? I feel more comfortable if I have it before I leave though. I was considering calling verizon wireless and asking for my cell phone plan down there but I'm not sure yet. If anyone has any info ona good phone card to make calls back to the us for the week ill be there please let me know asap. Thank you!!
*jen*

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
your verizon phone will work in the DR. It is EXPENSIVE though. Youll find call centers in town for much cheaper so dont sweat it.If you NEED a phone go outside the resort and find a Verizon store and purchase a used phone and set it up for prepay and buy cards. Dont be worrying phones are easy to come by off the resort.Theres LOADS of call centers and their cheap.

loves2run

Aug 1, 2006
thanks beads

Beads said:
your verizon phone will work in the DR. It is EXPENSIVE though. Youll find call centers in town for much cheaper so dont sweat it.If you NEED a phone go outside the resort and find a Verizon store and purchase a used phone and set it up for prepay and buy cards. Dont be worrying phones are easy to come by off the resort.Theres LOADS of call centers and their cheap.
thanks beads for all of that info. What about a regular calling card? Any good brands you reccomend that I can purchase? I ll use that instead of the cell phone.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
you wont need one youll pay by the minute in call centers.Its cheap . Your gonna laugh when you see how cheap. If yoy dont need to receive phone calls and arent going to make tons of calls all day you just visit the call center spend $2 or $3 and make a few quick calls and go back to your vacation.If you really need to make tons of calls and receive them get a taxi and hit a verizon store outside the resort (verizon has the best service). Buy a USED phone and some minutes and theyll assign you a phone #. Dont forget your passport they will require it to turn on service. And when your done take the phone home with you and turn it on cheap when you come back! If you know someone who recently cancelled service and has a CDMA phone (Verizon) they dont use anymore bring it and have it unlocked and turned on at the Verizon store for about $20US then buy cards for minutes. Cards range from under $2 US on upwards. If you have access to the CDMA phone you arent using bring it and the charger and have it activated. Its quite cheap if you want a local DR phone # while on vacation and the ease of making phone calls and receiving them like your at home.

loves2run

Aug 1, 2006
woooow

Wow! Thank you once again for all that info. Wow. Thank you thank you. Thank you. My only concern is leaving the resort To get to one of these call centers. Haha. I know. I'm such a pain!

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Im sure the resort has a call center. They all do. If they dont have one in the complex im sure theres one in walking distance of the resort. Its common for tourist to want to call home and someone wants to cash in on that.Dont be concerned about it. Once you hit the resort ask some other tourists where the call center is. Youll find it quickly im sure. Ive had the same concerns you did about needing phone service.

My Verizon phone works fine ALL OVER THE ISLAND. Its not that cheap because your roaming .But there is readily access to call centers. I personally bring a CDMA phone (Standard Verizon Tri-Band phone from an expired plan) and use it while on the island. $10 US to turn on if I have been out of the country more than 60 days. Then I just buy cards and put my minutes in. The directions are on the card or ask someone to load your minutes.

Dont worry youll be fine!

loves2run

Aug 1, 2006
Ohhh did not know this. Thanks soooooo much. You provided me with such a sufficient amount of info. I can not thank you enough. Ill probably stick to the call center. Ill only be there for a week. Just lookin for a way to reach home to let the mother know I'm fine. Haha. Really thanks again so so so much.

Last edited:

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
loves2run said:
Ohhh did not know this. Thanks soooooo much. You provided me with such a sufficient amount of info. I can not thank you enough. Ill probably stick to the call center. Ill only be there for a week. Just lookin for a way to reach home to let the mother know I'm fine. Haha. Really thanks again so so so much.

I know you probably got your answer, but... to use your cell phone it cost $3.00 a minute, if you buy calling cards before you leave, chances are they won't work. The call centre in the hotel (everyone has one) is $1.00 per minute. They are located in the lobby, you write the phone number you want to connect to and they send it to a house phonem when you complete your call, they tell you how much it is. Avoid using the phone in your room, very very expensive!

Have fun!

loves2run

Aug 1, 2006
Okay. Thank you so much. Ill be staying at the riu palace in punta cana. Does anyine know if there is a call center there?

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
By all means, do not pay $1USD per minute to make a call from the DR to the US! In the local call centers, you will pay about a tenth of that, and the cellphone cards cost the same to call the US as locally, which is about 20 cents a minute. Another example of AIs ripping off naive customers!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
sweetdbt said:
By all means, do not pay $1USD per minute to make a call from the DR to the US! In the local call centers, you will pay about a tenth of that, and the cellphone cards cost the same to call the US as locally, which is about 20 cents a minute. Another example of AIs ripping off naive customers!

I had the international roaming feature turned on on my verizon phone so I can use it when I go to the DR. They are going to charge me .69c a minute. Is there another way of using my phone without spending this much. There is a global feature offered, I believe 3.99per day. or is there another less expensive way.
Can I do the calling cards instead??? thanks for your help.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
sweetdbt said:

Does it make a difference that I was calling Canada vs the US?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
MAR:

Just go to The Verizon store and have a Dominican number put on your phone for free. You will just need to buy a card for time. This way you will have a local number and be able to receive free inbound calls. It takes 10 seconds to switch the phone back when you go home to NY.

I recommend using an old Verizon CDMA phone so you have a US phone and a Dominican phone, and if you lose the old one its no big deal.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Tamborista said:
MAR:

Just go to The Verizon store and have a Dominican number put on your phone for free. You will just need to buy a card for time. This way you will have a local number and be able to receive free inbound calls. It takes 10 seconds to switch the phone back when you go home to NY.

I recommend using an old Verizon CDMA phone so you have a US phone and a Dominican phone, and if you lose the old one its no big deal.

sounds good thanks

what is a CDMA phone, and how much and where do I get one?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Almost any phone that works on Verizon in NY is CDMA.

Where in DR are you going, I can send you to a reputable Gringo that has "extra" phones on the north coast!

PM me if you are in need of a phone on the North Coast.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Tamborista said:
Almost any phone that works on Verizon in NY is CDMA.

Where in DR are you going, I can send you to a reputable Gringo that has "extra" phones on the north coast!

PM me if you are in need of a phone on the North Coast.

I probably be in a Dorado resort second week in Aug. for a couple of days. but the other days I'll be in Santiago.