High-speed Internet in Santo Domingo

Rimmyrimrim

Aug 2, 2006
Hi, First-time poster. I am moving to Santo Domingo next week, and will be there two years. I want high-speed internet in my apartment. I have searched extensively throughtout the forums for an answer but have not found a good one. Here's my question:

In Santo Domingo, Verizon, Tricom, and Aster provide "high-speed" internet. I have researched the prices and everything at their respective web sites. My question is, which is the best? and which is the most reliable? and which is the fastest?

Thanks so much to all replies!

Tim

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Verizon. They offer upto 1.5MB. They are the biggest, have the best infrastructure and also by far the most users. Have been using them since 97.

nyteryda3

Jul 29, 2006
Verizon is the best, but at the same time, most expensive. You can sacrifice quality(customer service, not having connection sometimes) and pay less with Aster which is what I have. I save a significant amount of money with Aster rather than Verizon DSL. Aster has a cable connection, not DSL.

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
F-verizon

Verizon has customer service??

I havent seen it. I moved here a month ago and have been trying to get internet access in my apartment the whole time. Still nothing. (Im typing this in a hotspot I found in the DR1 archives!)

There is a verizon office two blocks from my apt and I have gone in four times a week, for about three weeks straight. I want to strangle every single one of them!

Evidently they dont want my business, they dont want my money. Ive never, ever seen customer service this bad and incompetent.

Well, actually, I shouldnt say incompetent. I guess they are very competent in not doing business with extranjeros. They required proof of employment and a personal reference even to begin. So I provided the requisite phone numbers.

They rejected my application without explanation.

Second try. I vetted my boss and my reference, told them what to expect. Verizon never called, told me they did, and rejected my application.

Third try. Verizon never called my references, never called me, but told me that my case was rejected because they couldnt get in touch with me. Mind you, I had my cell phone on my 24/7 and lived two blocks away.

Fourth try. Verizon requested a letter from my employer. I got it, in the pouring rain. The next day I was rejected. The letter didnt have a seal on it.

Fifth try. Verizon told me that they called my workplace and spoke with a woman named Evelynn who failed to confirm that I work there. "Evelynn?" I asked. "There's no one by that name. What number did you call?" They answered with my ownng cell number.

Sixth try. I personally got my boss on the line, handed the phone the Verizon woman, made her acknowledge that indeed I was employed. Made her call the credit office and tell them so. Now she is supposedly setting up the meeting whereby the technicos will come "check" my building. I have a small suspicion it wont work out....

This is all just to get a freaking land-line, through which I can get internet access!

ARrrgh. Its infuriating. Is it all a ploy to sell more Presidente? Cause Ive been drinking a lot more!

Does anyone on board *work* for Verizon?

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
internet

Rimmyrimrim said:
Hi, First-time poster. I am moving to Santo Domingo next week, and will be there two years. I want high-speed internet in my apartment. I have searched extensively throughtout the forums for an answer but have not found a good one. Here's my question:

In Santo Domingo, Verizon, Tricom, and Aster provide "high-speed" internet. I have researched the prices and everything at their respective web sites. My question is, which is the best? and which is the most reliable? and which is the fastest?

Thanks so much to all replies!
I live in zona colonial,have had verizon for a few years with no problems at all...never have had it off...and got it installed in a couple weeks if I remember...was not too long...
I pay about 3000 pesos a month which includes the phone bill..
bob

Tim

I live in zona colonial,have had verizon for a few years with no problems at all...never have had it off...and got it installed in a couple weeks if I remember...was not too long...
I pay about 3000 pesos a month which includes the phone bill..
bob

narias

Apr 12, 2004
I would second fightingirish's opinion regarding Verizon's service. I got them for my office with one of those business plans and for my house (no other choices available in either location).
At both locations the internet service goes down every couple of weeks and it takes 2 days' worth of calls to get it back. They still charge me for the entire month though :)

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Kinda like...

Any comments on Tricom internet service?
customer says"so what do you think of the special tonight" Waiter "Don't have it , not fresh, smells bad"
Customer "OK let me have the special"

Go figure-information from the guy that owns this bat and ball and.....

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
The best is to ask people in the area where you will live about what they use, if anything.

I live in Mirador Norte and had Verizon DSL for the first year. Worked great, then it started to break up to the point where it only connected between 1AM and 5AM. After about a month of calls and technicos checking out our lines one of them measured that the distance to the nearest DSL "joint" was too large, nothing they could do. One street down from where I live they connect to another DSL "joint" which is much closer so it works for them. I can't say anything bad about Verizon's costumer service, it was just bad luck. The past year I have been hooked up with Aster Cable. To me their service in Santo Domingo seems comparable to Verizon's. What makes it cheaper is mainly the diff taxation. On Verizon advertised prices you have to calculate around 26% tax.

07applicant

Apr 11, 2007
UNIBE Student Starting in May

Are you guys UNIBE Students ? What kind of bandwidth does Verizon offer for DSL in DR and what type of latency do you see back to the States ? 3000pesos a month for Verizon DSL .

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Are you guys UNIBE Students ? What kind of bandwidth does Verizon offer for DSL in DR and what type of latency do you see back to the States ? 3000pesos a month for Verizon DSL .

Up to 1.5MB DL. Latency, these are fiber connections, not satellite ;)
You will get pretty good ping times, but if your a pro gamer, this is not the place to be living.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
If you need latency and high pings Verizon/Codetel DSL is the only way to go. Cable can be as fast on the pure throughput but it never seems as fast with pings. Whatever dominican DSL has "fastpath" enabled I don't know.

I will change from Aster to Telecable within a month or 2. Everyone except Aster has lowered their prices, Telecable now offers 512 down / 128 up for as low as R$ 1121. Same thing at Aster is costing me R$ 1700.