How close is too close?

Patricia115

Aug 2, 2006
My boyfriend and I met and dated all through college and we never ran into any cultural clashes (I am south american). Then 2 yrs ago we moved back to the city about 10 minutes from his parents. I never realized how extremely close he is with his family, but mostly his mother. I'm all for being close to family, espeically in our cultures, but they are often so involved in our personal life that it can be suffocating. He is very close to his mom and when he sees her he grabs her all over and kisses her all over- mind you he sees her at least once a week. I've even see him sit on her lap. His parents are very overprotective and like to be consulted on everything. His mother insists on bringing us food all the time, she has said she wants to teach me to cook like her. Instead of making himself something. I'm going on a work trip next week and his mother wants him to sleep at her house. His mother has suggested that one day we all live together. I'm very independent woman and i'm not used to all of this excessive attention. I never knew he was such a big mama's boy and now I'm not sure what to do as we talk about our future together. I'm close to my family, but not to that extent. I wish he would understand that seeing him this close to his parents makes it seem like i'm dating a little kid and not a grown man. Any advice or insight?

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Patricia...All I can say is you're in for a bumpy ride...

They seem to be like that all over DR!!! VERY tight knit families...and don't even get me started on the neighbors...

Are you gonna live in DR always? Maybe you need to get him AWAY...FAR from his family for a while...

Just my $.02! ;)

MQ

Patricia115

Aug 2, 2006
We all live in NYC now so you would think it would be easier to have some space, but they live so close to us.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Maybe he needs to be spanked

Patricia115 said:
I've even see him sit on her lap. Any advice or insight?
Ask his doctor to examine for missing gonads :)

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Patricia...you're welcome to come to Florida...

(Just wait until after Hurricane season! ;))

MQ

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
if he was a US....

I guess he never heard the phrase,

"a son is a son till he takes a wife.....a daughter is a daughter for the rest of your life!"

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
When you marry him, you marry the entire family. Get used to it or move far away (ps, if you move far away, the family will resent you)

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
Once a mamma's boy, always a mamma's boy. You will always come 2nd. when mamma call's, he'll always run, especially if he is the baby of the family.

It is sooo true, if you move, you will be resented.:cry:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
It could be worse.

"See how he treats his mother and this is how he'll treat you" or something like that, is how the old saying goes. If he shows you lots of affection, his mother is probably where he learned it from.
Sometimes 'too much' affection depends on how you, yourself, were brought up. If you were not particularly affectionate with your folks, this may seem a bit weird bordering on the obscene.
You don't say where you're from originally but in DR. my extended family, with few exceptions, show our love for one another overtly. Nothing strange or morally offensive about it.
But I see your point.The situation you describe is of a meddling mother-in-law that does not know when to stop worming into the relationship that you and her son have.
His mother must be made to understand that her 'little boy' has grown and now has a different woman in his life. But the bigger problem here is that YOU must make it clear to your fiancé that HE needs to talk to his mother about her intrusion in your lives, not you.
Depending on how he responds to your request is what will determine the outcome of this difficult and troubling situation you find yourself in.
If he has any common sense, he'll see what it's doing to you and have the 'talk'. If not, things will always continue 'as is' and you will have to decide if he's worth the price of an ever-present, interfering, pain in the butt for the rest of your life. Good luck.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
patricia, dominican parents (as many latin parents) are this way. please be prudent and talk to your b/f b/c it's only going to get worse with time. don't let them manipulate you and get ready for a rough ride as you will be looked at as the Bitch. bueno, good luck, be strong, and now YOU can be his mamma!!!!

(don't even think about living with them!)

Patricia115

Aug 2, 2006
Sorry I forgot to mention that my boyfriend is Dominican. I was getting some great insight on the issue and I hope more people will respond. Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The relationship you describe is quite typical among Dominican families. This is the ultima mommy case. The situation will never change, ever. the man is still the mommy's little boy and he can do no evil--even is he is a total schitt, he is mommy's angel...

If you cannot get used to this or this just rubs you the wrong way, I think you had better get out of the relationship ASAP. It will never change, and if you marry the guy, you will become competition for mommy....and you will lose ...

See the picture "Throw Momma off the Train???" ......that is what you will be thinking every day of your married life...

HB:D:D

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I am not Dominican, but that is the reason why I never wanted to marry a man from my own country - we have the same thing - children have to be close with parents :ermm: You can learn how to ignore it and not get irritated if you want to be with him... But you have to be nice to his Mom: ask her what he likes, how to cook for him, etc. It is important for her. She needs to trust that you will take care of her baby. Otherwise your relationship might be over soon. Definitely - do not agree to live with them! Sometimes such mommies feel that their boys should not be helping out their wives around the house, doing anything in the kitchen, etc. They get involved into everything - it is not good for a couple. Be very careful talking with him about her, she was there before he met you, she will always be his mom.

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Wow it sounds soooo familiar, My mother in law is just as you described your mother in law. Her other son moved out and just bought a ring for his girlfriend and before he could propose she went and told the girlfriend about the ring. Mind you the girl was soooo angry with her.

My advice is that you talk to your husband about the situation, very delicatly, cause he might take sides and feel like you don't like his family. You must explain how you feel and that things are different now, you must have room to grow as a couple, but don't say anything negative about his family though. He should understand if not then he needs a lot of maturing to do.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Move as far away as you possibly can...

if you marry your boyfriend. My wife is Puerto Rican, I'm Dominican. We had the family intrusion issue(from both sides) when we got married, so we moved from NYC to Los Angeles. My mother and my mother-in-law eventually followed us to California, but by then, enough time had passed that it precluded any "mothering" behavior from them. Now we all get along just fine.
We've been married 32 years. It can work, but, you and your mate have to be willing to stand your ground.

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
Sounds a tad "claustrophobic" indeed!! Tread with caution in raising the issue and if no "joy" in making agreement that your relationship is seperate from (loving I'm sure) family I personally would walk...but then, maybe you're more tolerant than I??? ATB anyway - such "lap sitting" would turn my gut (!!) so I wish you luck!! Emma ;)

Edit to add: *nods* I've seen "Throw Momma off the train"...not a good image for any happy future (and I don't believe the horror of that Momma even went as far as "lap sitting" either!!!)

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
This may sound a little harsh, but its' YOUR relationship with him, not his family that counts. So sit him down(hes' not a little child I am presuming) and tell him that for your relationship to work, there needs to be SPACE between all of you. Enough for YOU to feel comfortable, not him.

Because this is how it will go down-you will lose every argument. Everytime something goes down and baby does'nt get his way, mommy will be there to pick up the pieces. She will tell you that nothing you do is good enough for her baby boy. And forget about having children, because your mothering skills will be criticized to no end. And the phone conversations-they will be talking about YOU most of the time, so if this is what you want don't say nobody told you.

You have the right to have space between you and them, and if he does'nt like it tell him to get it over with and just marry his mother instead.

Just because this is supposedly typical behavior for dominicans does'nt mean it has to continue or be tolerated.

Don't sugarcoat it or run around it. If he becomes defensive and takes it as an attack on his family then you really have to ask yourself if this person is really concerned with your happiness. So remember a few years down the road when the invetible breakup occurs that Berzin told you so. And WHEN you break up, it will be YOUR fault.

5 cents please!!!!;)
Off-topic, but VERRRRRRRRRY important-I'm Gold, baby!! GOLD!!!! I forgot to celebrate my 500th post!!!!!! Man, that's alot of advice dished out...I'm worn out...think I'll go rest...in Sosua...yeah, that's the ticket....with a Presidente in one hand...and a WHORE in the other!!!!

Last edited:

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
Berzin - I agree 100% with your post. YUP! As far as "Gold" goes though - What's with that? I'm a member of another forum that dishes out "stars" and people (I SWARE!!) "bump" threads just to get another post towards another "star"...I am very much CLEARLY missing something aren't I??? WHY does it matter???? Have a Presidente on me anybody that explains this star/gold/silver/whatever thing...DOES it matter??? IF so I was last in the queue when this understanding was dished-out!!! ATB! Emma;)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
In terms of "Gold", "Silver", "Bronze" - is that a number of posts or how valuable they are ;) ? If everything that was posted here was given and taken as serious advice ...

:rolleyes: :confused: :pirate: