Altos de Chav?n - Day Trip from SD?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
How would I get to Altos de Chavon from Santo Domingo. I have looked at the tour agencies and a day trip for two is $140 USD which also includes a trip to Sanona Island. I would rather spend the entire day in Altos de Chavon. I have also looked at Dominican Taxi Tours and their fee would be $260.

I know there has to be public transportation a lot cheaper than the above prices. Is there a bus leaving SD to Altos de Chavon.

For those interested this is a good link for info:

http://www.altosdechavon.com/

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Get a taxi take you to the La Romana bus stop to La Romana. There take the public bus. Once there, though, you will have to take a taxi to Altos de Chavon. Bus should be about US$5 each way (about an hour and a half), but taxi could be US$20 or so to Altos de Chavon. Maybe you can befriend someone in Altos de Chavon and get a ride back to the city to catch the bus back to Santo Domingo.

Another option would be to rent a car for the day. See http://www.dr1.com/national

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Dolores said:
Get a taxi take you to the La Romana bus stop to La Romana. There take the public bus. Once there, though, you will have to take a taxi to Altos de Chavon. Bus should be about US$5 each way (about an hour and a half),

Thanks Dolores, I am beginning to think this might not be a good idea as a day trip from Santo Domingo. My original thought was to Caribe Tour it to Santiago for the day and Caribe Tour it back. I thought Altos de Chavon might be a little less travel time. From your description it looks as though it takes about the same amount of time. Maybe I should rethink Santiago.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If you are driving a rental or hiring a car, Altos de Chavon would be as easy or easier than Santiago for a day trip from SD, and probably would be a bit less travel time, but not much. For public transportation, Santiago would be much easier/cheaper because when you get off the bus, you are there. To get to Altos de Chavon, you will need to take a cab from La Romana. I wouldn't be surprised if there are guaguas from La Romana because it is on the way to Higuey, and most of the employees at Alto de Chavon probably live in La Romana and need a way to work.

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Whats to see in Santiago

From a Tourist point of view, whats to see in Santiago.. Not much as can see so far... Replies anyone ... M.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
mikeyone said:
From a Tourist point of view, whats to see in Santiago.. Not much as can see so far... Replies anyone ... M.

From what I found out after the initial post, nothing. I am still open to suggestions for a one day trip from SD.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Jarabacoa can be done in a day trip, and I believe there should be tours from SD for a reasonable price. Beautiful mountains, waterfalls, rafting (if you're into that), hiking, horseback riding, etc. It's almost worth the trip to see the newly renovated parque central, which features the largest Caoba tree I've ever seen. It literally shades the entire park.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
sweetdbt said:
Jarabacoa can be done in a day trip, and I believe there should be tours from SD for a reasonable price. Beautiful mountains, waterfalls, rafting (if you're into that),

Yeah I am into that! I have been searching like crazy to find an online tour company based out of SD. My last trip I remember an office was located about a block north of Hotel Penalba. If I can't find something online I will just have to wait untill I arrive. What you mentioned sounds real nice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago points of interest.

For a day trip to Santiago, using Caribe Tours back and forth, here is what you can do.
1) Go to Centro Leon. Upstairs is a permanent art exhibit with millions of dollars worth of art on display. Downstairs there is a very modern exhibit of today's Caribbean art....violence and creepy, but interesting.. and then the permament exhibit on how the island and the DR came to be...very good dioramas(?)...And finally an exhibition of how to make some of the most expensive cigars sold, the Aurora Aniversario and Preferidos....(Mon-Friday)
2) You can go see the Tomás Morel Folklore Museum, very interesting....on Calle Restauración...
3) There are still tours of the Bermúdez Rum factory if you get there early enough..call ahead

If you spend the night, you can enjoy places like AhiBar, Francifol or Tribeca or perhaps some of the "other" places, depending on your tastes..

And if you golf, there is a nice place to do that, too.
There is also a water park (Kaskada Water Park), and starting Oct 21 Winter League Baseball!!

Theater, dance etc as well as cock fights..

HB :D:D