small, charming hotels in Santiago?

mbb

Aug 3, 2006
I've read some of the recent posts about Hotel Colonial and Alohasol, but can anyone recommend anything in the same price range that's got charm and character? While in Sto. Dgo. we're staying in one of the converted 16th century mansions and were hoping to find something similar in Santiago.

If anyone does have any recommendations, would you indicate in which area of the city the hotel is located?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you want to invest a couple of million, maybe, just maybe we could get the Old hotel Mercedes on 30 de Marzo and M?ximo G?mez..The first hotel in the entire region....A beautiful old building, 3 stories and roof, beautiful mosaics, etc, etc....Until the Matum was built it was the only real Hotel in Santiago....everyone went there for the soup, the Rotary club met there every week and the roof garden was the scene of some of the more memorable romances...of that epoch....

sorry, but we don't have anything "quaint" any longer.....everything is new.

HB :D:D

Prop of HB's B&B..hehehe

mbb

Aug 3, 2006
Thanks for the helpful information.
The Mercedes sounds exactly right--I wish I had the extra million. :)
You mention the Matum. Is that the same as the "Matun" that is mentioned in the Rough Guide to the DR.? On Las Carerras? I have tried calling their number several times, but no luck. Is this hotel no longer in business? No one seems to talk about it on dr1...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, but since Dominicans never pronounce a final "m" they always say Matun, but that is horribly wrong....

However, not as horrible as the latest reviews of the place....old and worn out is being courteous....a good friend was robbed there, just by being a little careless..

I would urge you to look elsewhere....

HB

PS: Not "an extra million" ...It would take three or four to get that place, at least....

mbb

Aug 3, 2006
small, charming hotels in santiago

HB-
Two other questions that perhaps you could answer:
1. The Colonial is full :( and we are reticent to spend Alohasol dollars when we'll be so infrequently in our room. (We'll probably be traveling back and forth to Moca every day). The Colonial referred me to the Monterey, but I've only seen one limited reference to it on dr1. What do you know about it?
2. Alternatively, now that I've read so much about your B & B... Is there any chance that you have space for us August 12, 13, 14? We are two respectful adults. :)
Thanks again for any info...
mbb

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Monteray was not well mentioned by JJ or his wife, Rocío.....It seems to be across the street from the Colonial, but a bit lower on the scale..

#2) Please PM me....I like "respectful adults" ....:p

HB:D:D

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Hillbilly said:
The Monteray was not well mentioned by JJ or his wife, Roc?o.....It seems to be across the street from the Colonial, but a bit lower on the scale..

#2) Please PM me....I like "respectful adults" ....:p

HB:D:D
Across the street from the Colonial??
To the OP,
stay away from all the hotels accross the street and next to the Colonial, these rooms are basic, cheap and generally for laborers who come into the city work and sleep for $80RD - $100RD a night.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Avenida Estrella Sadhalá, between El Carrito de Marchena and Plaza Alejo onyour right side. Hotel is tucked in the back.

HB