Where to begin?

blanca

Jan 23, 2003
Hello everyone,
I still have the shrimp farm near Nagua. We also own a resturant in Miami. We are selling it so i am in Miami until we sell. The farm is on "hold" for now, but i am thinking of exporting to Miami. We have 2 of the largest distrubitors in the US who will purchace our production 20,00 LBS 3x's a year and the local farms inventory.
My question is ... Where in the world do i start? Is there an IQF plant on the north coast? Please give me a starting point. And how difficult this is going to be.

Thanking you in advance,

Blanca

Blondi

Aug 1, 2006
It looks very good for you, all power. You need to start by making lots of money. Bueno suerte

Blondi

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Maybe I can help a little

Hello everyone,
I still have the shrimp farm near Nagua. We also own a resturant in Miami. We are selling it so i am in Miami until we sell. The farm is on "hold" for now, but i am thinking of exporting to Miami. We have 2 of the largest distrubitors in the US who will purchace our production 20,00 LBS 3x's a year and the local farms inventory.
My question is ... Where in the world do i start? Is there an IQF plant on the north coast? Please give me a starting point. And how difficult this is going to be.

Thanking you in advance,

Blanca

The first thing that you need to do is to install, what is called a blast freezer that operates at -40?f. The reason for this, is when you pull your product in preparation for delivery.... shrimp first must be frozen rapidly by means of hosing down the shrimp with fresh water inside a standard 35? cooler and then immediately put into the blast for preservation.I do work for a company that blast's 1200 pounds an hour and delivers to Lauderdale and Miami every day from the west coast of Florida. Equipment is very expensive, but you have to admit to give a good product.

Now getting it from the DR to Miami... I have no clue.

blanca

Jan 23, 2003
Blast frezzer? I am told after we chill kill with ice and water we can vaccum pack the shrimp, put them on ice and use a refrigator truck. Of a freezer container to shipto Miami.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Contact ADOEXPO (Asociacion Dominicana de Exportadores - Dominican Association of Exporters) at:

Winston Churchill No. 5
Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep.
Telephone: (809) 532-6779
Fax: (809) 532-1926

blanca

Jan 23, 2003
Thank you Fabio!/ One more ?

I will call,
Do you think in your understanding of the up comming CAFTA proposal that exporting shrimp to Miami will lower fees or would it affect us at all? And how soon will this law pass?
Howard

Isla_Hombre

Jul 31, 2006
Shrimp Farm Production

Blast frezzer? I am told after we chill kill with ice and water we can vaccum pack the shrimp, put them on ice and use a refrigator truck. Of a freezer container to shipto Miami.

Blanca, Your operation needs to conform to FDA, HACCP regs. The product would need to be frozen. I have experience in seafood production and sales in the US. There is a much less expensive method than a blast freezer used for IQF and the block freezing of shrimp. The blast freezer is the best method but the most costly. It uses a tremendous amount of electricity as well as start up costs.

I work with several major players in the US, including large chain markets and institutional purveyors.

If you care to discuss with me let me know.

I-H

JWrightDR

Aug 25, 2006
Hello everyone,

Thanking you in advance,

Blanca

Blanca, Have you resolved your refrigeration issue?

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Blanca, why would you think of exporting? The D.R. is a net importer of shrimp. It seems that wholesale prices would actually be better on the island, all things considered.
It's my understanding that the primary reason why merchants, resorts, etc. import is because of the quality, not availability. If a Dominican grower had freezer/refrigeration the whole Island would be their oyster.
Capital outlay ain't small. Just to have refrigerated trucks is off putting, for me.
By the way, hello! and how are things in the mountains of Nagua?