Canadian Embassy Visa Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I have read the posts and I've seen the process outlined on the Canadian governement, however, can anyone relate to this story?

A branch of my family tree originates from the Dominican Republic. I have made several trips to visit cousins there over the years, and now I would like my cousin to visit here in Canada. Despite my reviewing the board, he's made 3 attempts to get a visitor's visa in the last 12 months. First, he went through a Dominican Lawyer in Puerto Plata who helped him arrange his papers, yet never filed his application. Second time around he used some other service (not sure, with my sketchy Spanish) and he got his appointment with the Embassy to see if the visa was approved or disapproved...when he got there, they said his papers were lost.

The third time, he made it to the yay or nay appointment well in advance and he was kept waiting and was turned away when the embassy shut its doors at 5:00 PM...They gave him another appointment which will take place in two weeks...

Is this accurate? I've read posts from others saying they've received phonecalls from the embassy, not appointments...others have mentioned getting their "no answers" promptly, within 21 days of filing the application. Can anyone relate to this?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hummm, didn't apply even with a lawyer's help, lost papers and closed doors.

Unfortunately it seems that young Dominican males are the least likely to get a visitor's visa to Canada. Maybe he should stop wasting his hard earned money to apply again. I'm sure you've read what immigration looks at and even those requirements are no guarantee.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Yes, I've been telling him that it's next to impossible but he insists on trying. Yes, he's used a lawyer before...I'm not sure who it is, it's up to him...

It would be nice to show him Canada and meet some of us who can't travel, but if he's going to get denied, I'd hoped that it would be "NO" for certain and not lost papers - is that typical? I don't want him to to waste time and money.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Visa interviewed delayed yet again

Cousin had an appointment for an interview yesterday at 3:00 PM. He went early, just after noon and waited. He called this morning and from what I understand he says that it was him and 8 other Domincans waiting for visas. At some point all of them were told either NO or to come back. There was a lot of yelling and angry Domincans.

He stayed quiet and his representative told him that they have retained his passport and will call him sometime in January with an answer. It sounded suspect to me. He said something about short staffing. I really wish my Spanish comprehension was better.

Anyhow, he gets here when he gets here. Our aunt wants to come and visit as well and he was wondering if she should put in her application now or wait and see how the process works for him. I say it's NOT working at all and maybe they should save their time and money. The family has somehow remained a lot more optimistic than me:ermm: , and refuse believe that they will fail. Anyhow I will continue to post updates.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
arghhhhhhhhhhh...how frustrating. If i've learned anything from this, it's to warn people not to apply in the Spring.

Hopefully your cousin will arrive, and I'm sorry you're going through as frustrating of a time as we are!

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
At least...

At least we are not alone...I am so glad that this message board is here to communicate with others because even though I know it's not true, I feel like I am the only one going through this insanity.

In the meantime, I will gladly continue to spend some time in the future getting to know my extended family in the Dominican Republic. If only it were as easy to reciprocate their hospitality and generosity by playing host to them in Canada.

arghhhhhhhhhhh...how frustrating. If i've learned anything from this, it's to warn people not to apply in the Spring.

Hopefully your cousin will arrive, and I'm sorry you're going through as frustrating of a time as we are!

Last edited:

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Forgetting about it all...

My cousin had an appointment at the Embassy in Mid January and he was denied the visa. His agent (I don't think he's using a lawyer) suggested he try a different tactic. I believe he was originally trying for a longer stay, but instead the agent suggested putting a 2-week period on his application. This of course, would cost the family some more money.

My cousin left the capital frustrated and annoyed. He told me he is not paying the extra money. Something about the story didn't make sense to me, and I even had a local Domincan friend talk to him in case I was missing something in translation. We all came to the conclusion that this 'agent' is just ripping them off.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My brother-in-law will be applying at the end of the month to come for a visit. We have given him a invitation letter filled with all the info the government needs. All typed up with all my military speak on it(ex-military will know what I mean). He is single, but over 40, has his own business(internet cafe) several employees, plus 2 houses with titles, money in the bank, and a full time job. I'll let you know how it turns out.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
nikke....are you sure he's really jumping through all the hoops and over all the barrels......
somehow this story just doesn't 'ring' true.......

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Actually

nikke....are you sure he's really jumping through all the hoops and over all the barrels......
somehow this story just doesn't 'ring' true.......

MommC you are very perceptive. I am not too certain because I can't seem to get a clear answer from the family on the whole process. That's why I posted a thread here to find out if anyone's had similar experiences.

That said, I've totally distanced myself from the entire situation. Once I found out how difficult it was for them to come here, I just let things take their course.

My extended family is content and appears to be living relatively well (by Dominican standards) and there is no urgent need for anyone to come and visit. I'd just hoped that I'd be able to play host for a week or two. Who knows, maybe he got turned down and was too ashamed to mention it...I've stopped wondering for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.