cell phones work in las galeras

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
maybe it's old news, but good news just the same. apparently works with Orange. great for folks who can't afford ridiculous stuff including downpayment that verizon is asking for on land lines.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
We've had Orange cell service for about 3 to 4 weeks now. Besides Verizon's hefty deposit, the main reason this is good news for Las Galeras is primarily because Verizon has limited landlines available at this time with many areas without service. I had also heard some time ago that there were no more lines available but I don't know how true this is. I do know that when service was established in '98 we were originally only given the first 300 numbers in the 538 exchange that also serves Samana. And at this time I don't know of any other local numbers that exceed this limit.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Don't Bother

... because Verizon has limited landlines available at this time with many areas without service. I had also heard some time ago that there were no more lines available but I don't know how true this is.

To me it does not seem true and probably is an excuse.
Verizon is not interested in extending their red alambrico as celulars net in much higher profit.
Villages outside Las Terrenas have been waiting for lines for many years...

m'frog

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
"Verizon is not interested in extending their red alambrico as celulars net in much higher profit."

I would agree with this if Verizon had cell service available for LG, but they don't. I also think they are not too pleased that Orange got in ahead of them. I do know that Samana's 538 exchange is basically full and with only 300 numbers originally allocated to Las Galeras, it didn't take long for those to be assigned. It's been more than a few years that no more numbers were available. To expand the service, a new exchange will have to be added once sufficient demand is present. Also, until power poles are fully in place along all the area's roads, there is no place to string phone cable. That (and low demand) is why landline phone service is not available in many rural communities. However, rural satellite cell service is now widely available throughout the Samana peninsula and the rest of the DR. These self-standing units with a sat dish and a solar panel may be readily seen, even in the most remote communities.

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
What is the set-up like on the sat service? I presume that one has to buy or lease a dish? Can a person get Internet via sat?
Does anyone up there have it? I do see dishes around.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Orange is growing in that area. It is one of the areas with highest growth potential and Orange is certainly going to lead the charge.

HB :D:D

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
M'Frog -
How much does the dish cost and how much does the service run, if you don't mind my asking?
I had some conversation with some guys out of STI who do this but have not had a chance to go over there and visit them. They advertised on DR1 but can't remember their company name offhand.
Pray tell: how are the ups and downs? These guys were talking T1 strength. About US$3,000 for the dish and only US$70 per month for military strength 'net.
If they stay in business to amortize the dish over a few years is no problem. What happens if they do a bunko?

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Internet by Satellite

.... About US$3,000 for the dish and only US$70 per month for military strength 'net.

I paid less for the hardware (but that was 3 years ago...), the monthly subscription depends on the scheme you have.

It's a grey market, not totally legal, because the provider does not market the system officially in the DR.

PM me if you need further information.

m'frog