50 million dollars

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
I meet with a General the other day,who is trying to sell his property for 50 million dollars. Do people actually buy? I think he expected me to open a briefcase with 50 million dollars and hand it to him. I tried to talk about financing or maybe spilting up the property, but that was not an option. Its hard for me to image this guy sitting on a yatch one day with 50 million in the bank.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Nobody outside the DR really gives these financial geniuses enough credit. They can turn a RD$25,000 a month salary as a general, and a nice pension, into US$50 million or more over time. If he lived in the US, this guy would make the cover of Newsweek, Time and the Wall Street Journal (for one reason or another, hehe)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Which is why the nation is like it is.
They are all thieves from the time they make lieutenent.

Comics during some of the Balaguer years said that the government needed to name generals into key positions because they knew how to make fortunes with little or no money. There is no Internal Affairs, not IRS to check on just how they got that property, how they maintain their lifestyles....

That is why it is do depressing to see the futile efforts at
"cleaning up" the police...jajajajaja:p:p:p:p

HB :(:(:(

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
That would be 50 million dollars and not pesos.
Oceanfront in Bavaro next to the Secerts Resort

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Not only in the DR

Which is why the nation is like it is.
They are all thieves from the time they make lieutenent.

Comics during some of the Balaguer years said that the government needed to name generals into key positions because they knew how to make fortunes with little or no money. There is no Internal Affairs, not IRS to check on just how they got that property, how they maintain their lifestyles....

That is why it is do depressing to see the futile efforts at
"cleaning up" the police...jajajajaja:p:p:p:p

HB :(:(:(
Almost all public do-gooders everywhere and generally anyone with unrestricted access to the till will help themselves first before helping others .... Ken Lay, Regas family (Adelphia), Dennis Kozlowski, Martha Stewart, Dubya in 2000 .... et al :pirate: :bandit: :bandit:

B

batich

If you got a couple of minutes please PM me with some more details.
Thank you/

I meet with a General the other day,who is trying to sell his property for 50 million dollars. Do people actually buy? I think he expected me to open a briefcase with 50 million dollars and hand it to him. I tried to talk about financing or maybe spilting up the property, but that was not an option. Its hard for me to image this guy sitting on a yatch one day with 50 million in the bank.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
ok ill take it can I pay in cash? its foreign currency though maybe he wont recognize my monopoly money!

dominimom

Dec 3, 2006
Probably it is $50 million dollars!!!!

I was born and raised there. My dad's friend and his family just sold some land in Bavaro for $100+ million DOLLARS. The money never touched Dominican soil, it was all deposited in banks in the U.S. People must be CRAZY investing that kind of money in the DR!!!!!!!! I love my country, but I think there is no future for it as long as you have THUGS in the government. There is an unspoken law over there. If you have an iota of honesty and decency, you DO NOT get involved in politics. Everybody that is into politics is corrupt, Very sad!!!!!!!!

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
I was born and raised there. My dad's friend and his family just sold some land in Bavaro for $100+ million DOLLARS. The money never touched Dominican soil, it was all deposited in banks in the U.S. People must be CRAZY investing that kind of money in the DR!!!!!!!! I love my country, but I think there is no future ...
It will surprise you even more , when you will get to know that CRAZY people who bought this land for $100+ million DOLLARS are geting $300+ million DOLLARS or more out of it as an investment just in few years !!!!! Dominicans be proud of your Land ...it is la tierra de oportunidades today !!!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The folks who purchased the land being used for Roko Ki paid $25 million USD in 2002...(many thought they were crazy) it was recently appraised at over $1 BILLION USD...not a bad return...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The folks who purchased the land being used for Roko Ki paid $25 million USD in 2002...(many thought they were crazy) it was recently appraised at over $1 BILLION USD...not a bad return...

I am sure that appraisal included the assumption of improvements and sales on the land that they had constructed and were PLANNING to construct. If they constructed US$250M in buildings and planned another US$250M in improvements and counted on retail land lot sales of US$500M, then they could have it appraised at US1B while their return on investment would be zero right now since they have not sold anything (not sure if thats the case but its just an example. Who knows, maybe they run into some legal problem before they can start selling or maybe a hurricane or earthquake destroys the whole facility before its finished. Its easy to play with numbers.

On the other hand I am sure their investment was a good one, but don't count your chickens before they are hatched. The 'return' on an investment is only true once its in the bank. And I am sure they have not sold US$1B worth of hotel rooms and property at this stage, since its not open.