Weather at the east coast in early february

Catja

Aug 3, 2006
I want to visit the east coast - punta cana wiyh my husband and our 2 young children (3 years and 8 months) in early february 2007, but have heard that it can be pretty windy on the beach at that time of year. Can anyone let me know if this is so?
Does anyone know what it is like at Bayahibe beach in early february?
Any tips are much appreciated.

Last edited:

Catja

Aug 3, 2006
Warm and humid with moderate winds, weather is one thing that you cannot control

Thank you.
Have you been to the DR during February? Can you recommend an area of the island in particular or is the Punta cana a good choice for a family holiday? If you don't mind me asking, but can you be more specific with regards to 'moderate winds'? Can we sit on the beach without the wind factor being a problem?
I appreciate your reply.
many thanks
catja

febe

Jul 29, 2006
We were there the first 2 weeks of februafy 2006, we had nice warm weather rained about 15 min one afternoon and about 1 hour one evening. It rained most nights so when we got up it felt nice. The wind was not a problem never had to stay away from the beach. It was warmer than we had expected. But you never can predict waht it will be like this year.

Catja

Aug 3, 2006
Thanks for all the info on the weather at Punta Cana.
I have read on the DR site that there are many reefs along the coast of the Punta Cana area. Great for us, as we like to dive, but can we also go for a swim?

febe

Jul 29, 2006
I don't remember that many reefs near the hotels, I'm sure you can find some.Swimming is great, nice warm shallow water.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Catja,

Welcome to DR1 your helpful information tool for anything relating to the Dominican republic. You will be visiting after the hurricane season so you should have no problems with the weather and especially the wind. Come on down and enjoy yourselves. I've lived here for 10 years and love it.

Please do us a favor and write a trip report in the "Trip report" forum when you get back home. Anymore questions then don't hesitate to ask as that is why we are here.

Rick

Did a search and came up with this for you;
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34529&highlight=february
Pages 28 - 29 and pages 65-66

Sorry Frog I didn't see that you had already posted the link

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
If it's diving you like....may I recommend that you stay in the Bayahibe or Juan Dolio areas. Lots more dive sites to choose from as Punta Cana is really not the best diving area of the island unless you want to waste a couple of hours (not to mention added $$$) travelling to the dive sites that are along the south/south-east coast, namely Bayahibe, Catalina Island, Juan Dolio, Las Caletas. Cave diving/cavern diving is also possible closer to Santo Domingo in the Juan Dolio/Boca Chica area.
As far as weather goes....we've been here in Feb. every year for the past 16 years and the wind was never a problem (heat yes-wind no!)
Come on down and enjoy!

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
We were there last Jan 25 to Feb 8th and the wind for 4 days was so "breezy" that people put the loungers on their sides and barracaded themselves on the beach or else the sand would sting your legs. Didn't bother us, we're going again the same time of year.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi Catja,
i live and run my business here in punta cana 12 years now, february to end june is our quiet time with the weather, of course you can get a rainy or windy day all over the year on ever spot of this world, but you can expect beautiful weather conditions to let your 8 year old going to swim alone. the most quiet beaches for kids you will find in the areas south of El Cortecito, hotels named Paradisus Palma Real, Melia Caribe/Tropical, IGFA Villas Bavaro, Barcelo Bavaro Beach Resort, Natura Park, Occidental Allegro Resort, Sunscape Punta Cana Grand, Catalonia Resort, Club Med and Punta Cana Resort & Club. for diving we are sorrily not a top destination of this world, if you and your husband are interested in watersports top activities you should try offshore Big Game Fishing, in february mostly for Dorados and wahoo and Sailfish, we are one of the caribbeans number one spots for that activity. our reef is very close to the beach, but of course you can swim in the ocean at any hotel on the east coast.
weather conditions for the Bayahibe area on the south-east are during that time of the year similar to the ones at punta cana, there are some nice diving spots close near Catalina island, but don't expect the big deal if you're an experienced diver who dived the top spots.
the above mentioned Melia Resort has besides it's location on our most beautiful beach a great Kiddies activities program, so your 8 years old would be in best hands there.
enjoy paradise island
Mike